R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: absolutely, the best buy mic...  (Read 18678 times)

plughead

absolutely, the best buy mic...
« on: April 22, 2004, 05:47:25 PM »

Yeah, I know...

This topic must be hit to death, but with the glut of new mics on the market, maybe there's one mic that is head and shoulders above the competition, sound, and price-wise - yeah, it's a loaded, and subjective topic, but fess up to what's tweaked your auditory senses recently.

PS - price is no object - but it has to be value related to sound quality...

Thanks,
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

hargerst

Re: absolutely, the best buy mic...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 06:25:17 PM »

Jay, there's no actual answer to that question, even if you leave the dollars part out of the question.  It depends on the source, and the desired outcome.  The best vocal mic ain't the best guitar mic ain't the best sax mic ain't the best violin mic, etc.

Once you correctly identify the the source, and the desired outcome, it becomes a lot simpler.  Then you can start breaking it down into what will do the job for the lowest price and some alternatives, till you reach the best mic at any price for that specific the source and desired outcome.

Case in point:

I had a singer come in (along with his daughter who also sang) to try out some different mics.  They each sang thru 10 different mics and I made a CD for them with 20 unlabeled tracks.  They had to listen to each track and decide which mics worked best for their voices, without knowing which mic was which.

He picked the Earthworks SR-71 and the AEA R84 ribbon mic as best for his voice.  His daughter picked the Shure SM7, the Marshall V77, and the Marshall MXL990 as the best mics for her voice.

As with so many other "what's best" questions, the answer is pretty much always the same: It depends.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Meriphew

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 08:29:48 PM »

All great mics for the price IMO:

Shure Beta 58
Soundelux Elux 251
Soundelux E47
Placid Audio Copperphone

SelfNoiseMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 09:17:07 PM »

For what it's worth, I have - and use - one of those MXL 603s small condenser mics - purchased new for $72.00. And It's sounds kinda nice on acoustic guitars. I mean, for a $72.00 microphone...

plughead

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 09:57:16 PM »

hargerst wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 15:25

Jay, there's no actual answer to that question, even if you leave the dollars part out of the question.  It depends on the source, and the desired outcome....snip
As with so many other "what's best" questions, the answer is pretty much always the same: It depends...

Well,
I expected this to be the reply, but a bit more specific: what's some of the more impressive mics tested out on more than one source? Say from lesser known mics like Se/MXL/ADK, even some others like Oktava ribbons, etc. I've heard good things about various mics - ADK (Vienna and Hamburg editions), MXL V67G, etc: I don't live in a location allowing me to walk in and test/hear them, so I have to go on recommendations from people I trust - not by shills touting their own product(s), which seems to be rife on the net...

BTW, I agree with you Merriphew - Soundelux mics sound awesome, at any cost! I wish I could afford more than my U99...
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

hargerst

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 10:03:28 PM »

Ok, I'm not trying to duck the question.  Here are some of my best bang for the buck mic choices for under $100:

The Behringer ECM8000 Omni Calibration Mic - $35
The Marshall MXL990 Cardioid Mic - $70
The Marshall MXL 603S Cardioid Mic - $75
The Studio Projects B1 Mic - $80
The Marshall MXLV67 Cardioid Mic - $89
The Oktava MC012 - $99
The Shure SM57 - $75

Stay tuned for more.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

spankenstein

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 11:29:03 PM »

There are three mics that I own that I think you could really do an entire project with:

SM57. From the snare to the kick to the guitars to bass cabs to vocals.

Oktava MC012 has never sounded bad on anything I've stuck it on. and I only have the cardiod capsule!

Oktava MK319. To me it sounds like what the SM57 would be if it were a large diaphragm condensor. I also damn near stole these. They I got 2 with dented grills for $60. Both work perfectly!

syrupcore

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 01:50:36 AM »

cad e100.  I got one for 60 bucks and it rocks.  I dunno about production quality cause I borrowed a friends and it kinda blew.  sounds $250 dollars good on most anything except drums.

will

NelsonL

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 06:43:16 AM »

syrupcore wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 22:50

cad e100. .. sounds $250 dollars good on most anything except drums.

will

The e100 can sometimes sound pretty good on kick drum. I wouldn't close mic anything else with it though.

wireline

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 09:33:44 AM »

Hmmm...

I don't know if its the "best" (whatever that means) but the one mic that sees the most action (as in EVERY session in some capacity or another) is one of the RE-16s...bought it for 80 bones or so a year ago, and has really changed the way we do things for the better.

Also seeing a lot of action: older ADK A51 series III (wonderful!), SM7B, AT 3035 and 4041, and a tweaked 319...
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

plughead

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 11:15:03 AM »

wireline wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 06:33

Hmmm...snip
Also seeing a lot of action: older ADK A51 series III (wonderful!), SM7B, AT 3035 and 4041, and a tweaked 319...

The ADK A51 seems to resoundingly get praise: is there a difference between the older and newer ones? This is one I'm interested in hearing, not to mention their other more "spendy" mics...

PS - yeah, I agree with the E-100 sentiment: I use it often on kick, but also find it to work quite well on loud gtr. cab - to each their own...

PSS: I agree on the EV dynamics - I use an RE50ND often, and it has a more reasonable body to it than most condensers (on some female vocalists) - there's another EV - can't remember the model - looks like a D-19: was used here for a very nasally female singer - beat out every mic in the collection, including U67's, 414's, ribbons, what have you...

Keep'em comin!
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

Rod Affleck

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:59:23 AM »

Audio Technica make a lot of solid bang-for-buck mics. If you wanted a large diaphram condenser and you're $300 away from broke, an AT4033 would be a good bet.

I can get very good results with an sm57, but I always feel like I'm settling for something less than optimal when I use it. But still worth having at least one kicking around.

The Senn MD 421 is pretty damn versatile and not that expensive.

Has anyone made those diy tiny diaphram Tape-Op condensers? Great performance considering the cost of parts, and it's a pretty easy project.

I have had no experience with Oktava mics, but I've seen enough praise for them that maybe one of these days I'll pick up a pair of MC012s...or not, seeing as nobody locally seems to carry them...

r a

Rod Affleck

wireline

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 12:07:54 PM »

The ADK A51 seems to resoundingly get praise: is there a difference between the older and newer ones?

I really don't know much about the newer models...ADK pretty much revamped their entire line from what I understand...and the A51 line was really altered...

There are (were?) serveral versions of the A51s...the series III sound very good as OHs and on some vocals...I tried a series IV and didn't like it at all...there is quite a bit of internet praise for some of the new line, but you know how reliable THAT is ...

Sorry I can't be more help.  Maybe Larry at ADK could give more information...

Ken
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

floodstage

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 06:34:43 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 06:43

syrupcore wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 22:50

cad e100. .. sounds $250 dollars good on most anything except drums.

will

The e100 can sometimes sound pretty good on kick drum. I wouldn't close mic anything else with it though.

The e-100 is my favorite mic for Congas.  Really catches the transient in a good way.

JackJohnston

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 07:26:26 PM »

Don't forget the Royer 121.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.