R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chandler TG2  (Read 17027 times)

mwagener

Re: Chandler TG2
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2004, 10:10:50 AM »

Not quite. I'm at the point of no eq during tracking, if you don't count the occasional high pass filter as eq. The choice of mic, mic position and mic pre becomes my EQ substitute. Compression during tracking is only on the vocals (pretty hefty 18-20 dB on the Distressor) and on room mics, unless I can't avoid it for level reasons.

During the mix I use mostly the eqs in the Sony DMX to just touch up little things here and there and to get rid of anything that is not in the signal (high pass on hat track etc.). It's mostly down to a couple of dB to fit tracks into the mix a little better. The Massive Passive is on the stereo bus and I normally boost the high end 4-5 dB shelved up from about 4K. When you don't use eq during tracking it tends to end up slightly dull, but I think it's better to use only one eq on the whole mix, compared to eq'ing every track

I don't like to use compression much, so I try to keep it to a minimum, one can't get around it completely in the digital world. During the mix I use a CraneSong STC-8 on the stereo bus, which gets switched in as soon as the rough mix (without automation) is up, so I can make up for the compressor by riding faders. Then, of course there is the creative compression for drum sub-mixes, extra snare attack etc.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2004, 08:39:30 PM »

Quote:

Just curious, what mic are you using on (heavy) dirt guitars?
I really like the Chandler TG2 with a SM57.

greetings,
Dirk

My favorite setup for detuned heavy electric guitar is as such
A Royer 121 or 122 into a Telfunken V72 (No EQ)
A Sm57 into a Chandler LTD 1 or TG2
A Sennheiser 421 into real Neve or a Tg2 or a Ltd 1
these are then brought back into a console on the insert return to bypass the eq and line amp and then
all these are blended and bussed through an API 550/ 550a with either 2 or 4 dB of 3k or 5k. I find that 1.5k is cool but usually to honky as a buss eq. These are all bussed to one track or if 2 amps and cabinets are involved there are 2 exact mic setups in stereo. Most if not all the eq and sound comes from mic placement and amp color. I rarely eq the individual mics. I really love the buss eq though after the blend.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

mloomis

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2004, 11:21:51 PM »

Zoesch wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 20:26

Michael,

I'm quite sure Sequis (The manufacturers of the motherload) will be happy to demo a unit or send you one, they are a small company based in the UK after some people split from Palmer, so in case you don't have it here's the info on them.

Hey, Zoesch.

Do you really prefer the Motherlode to real mics and speakers?  Does the Motherlode sound that natural?  I've checked out their site and the reviews and all.  Just wanted the opinion of someone who owns and uses the thing on a regular basis.  It certainly would solve a number of problems if it sounds that great.

Michael

Zoesch

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »

I do... there's a few combinations that the Motherload doesn't do unfortunately (Such as off-axis ribbon or back of the cab type sounds) but in 90% of the cases I'm able to get the sound I like out of it in about 5-10 minutes.

I've also used it on the 2-buss and on line level signals (After boosting their gain as this thing is completely passive so it needs a REALLY healthy signal)
It has always been Ringo's fault

rusty cage

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2004, 01:18:39 AM »

Has anyone got a unit with the summing or impedance options that they can comment on?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.