R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chandler TG2  (Read 16992 times)

Ross Hogarth

Re: Chandler TG2
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 02:46:18 AM »

I Love the shit out of these pre amps !!!!
They are so open and musical !!!!!!!!!!

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

mwagener

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 12:00:20 PM »

The TG-2 is my go-to pre for electric guitar. It adds harmonics in the midrange that I haven't heard in any other preamp except the TG-channel.

The TG-channel sounds close to the TG-2 but seems to have more dynamics in the lower midrange, great pre for chunky electric guitar.

lucey

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 05:23:54 PM »

mwagener wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 11:00

The TG-2 is my go-to pre for electric guitar. It adds harmonics in the midrange that I haven't heard in any other preamp except the TG-channel.

has anyone A/B'd the TG2 with the GTQ2 on guitars (or anything)?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Zoesch

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2004, 12:41:13 AM »

mwagener wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 02:00

The TG-channel sounds close to the TG-2 but seems to have more dynamics in the lower midrange, great pre for chunky electric guitar.

My go-to pre for electric is the AMEK 9098, then the TG-2 and lastly the Presonus MP-20 if I'm looking for no character at all... the midrange boost on the TG-2 is great, but for C tuned 7/8-stringed death metal it sounds unnatural, for jangly indie its hit or miss (And that's mainly because some amps don't sound that nice when you look at their midrange), for more mainstream rock it does well... IMO it's because the low end isn't so present on the TG-2... didn't notice it too much when I heard the TG Channel so I'll have to take your word for it.

Regardless, the Chandler TG-2 and the DAV BG-2 are bound to become quite popular... they are destined for greatness!

It has always been Ringo's fault

dirkb

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 09:34:35 AM »

Zoesch wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 05:41

mwagener wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 02:00

My go-to pre for electric is the AMEK 9098, then the TG-2 and lastly the Presonus MP-20 if I'm looking for no character at all... the midrange boost on the TG-2 is great, but for C tuned 7/8-stringed death metal it sounds unnatural, for jangly indie its hit or miss (And that's mainly because some amps don't sound that nice when you look at their midrange), for more mainstream rock it does well... IMO it's because the low end isn't so present on the TG-2... didn't notice it too much when I heard the TG Channel so I'll have to take your word for it.

Regardless, the Chandler TG-2 and the DAV BG-2 are bound to become quite popular... they are destined for greatness!

Zoesch,

Just curious, what mic are you using on (heavy) dirt guitars?
I really like the Chandler TG2 with a SM57.

greetings,
Dirk

Zoesch

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 04:57:51 AM »

If I'm micing guitars (And that's now a big IF as I'm mainly using a Motherload for guitars instead of mics) I'm using either a R84, SM57 or a MD421...

I'm just very partial of the way the AMEK handles transients and LF sounds...

mwagener

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 12:59:20 PM »

zoesch

I only heard the Amek 9098 on one session, when a workshop guest brought it in. We really couldn't get anything good out of it on neither source. Maybe it was broke or maybe we didn't subject it to the right source/mic. I see your point with the tuned down guitars, though.

I normally use a Royer 121 on the electric guitars, my main amp is the ENGL Savage 120 special edition (the previous version) and the ENGL vintage 30 4x12 cab.

springman

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2004, 12:32:14 AM »

I love my TG2 on kick and snare when I want a crunchy, tape-like effect .  I've also used it on bass, electric and acoustic guitars with much happiness.  I'm curious what it would do inserted in the 2 mix when I want to dirty something up.

I should mention that the build quality of these units has been less than stellar.  The faceplate is not mounted securely, and the metal can flex; seems like a design flaw they could fix pretty easily.  In addition,  I got my first TG-2 and within a month a channel had died.  Sent it back,  and when it returned it worked well for about two weeks, and the other channel died.  Got a new unit from the dealer, and everything has been fine so far... I'm still gonna get another one.

rme uk

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 01:43:14 PM »

Quote:

I should mention that the build quality of these units has been less than stellar.

I have to agree! That's something I wasn't happy at all about when I got mine.

Zoesch

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 09:33:50 AM »

mwagener wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 02:59

zoesch

I only heard the Amek 9098 on one session, when a workshop guest brought it in. We really couldn't get anything good out of it on neither source. Maybe it was broke or maybe we didn't subject it to the right source/mic. I see your point with the tuned down guitars, though.

I normally use a Royer 121 on the electric guitars, my main amp is the ENGL Savage 120 special edition (the previous version) and the ENGL vintage 30 4x12 cab.

Michael,

Funny, we've got pretty much the same chain going... my go-to amps are an ENGL Savage and a Laney GH100L (Both modded) but I've pretty much stopped micing cabs once I got the Motherload.

The difference here is one of styles, I would agree that the Chandler would be exceptionally suited to get the right "power metal" tone (Helloween/Maiden-style) but not to get the grinding and gritty "death metal" tone (Both the cleaner Death or the grittier Entombed style tones), that's where I think the 9098 shines through.

I love both my AMEK and my Chandler, but as you (And to a lesser extent I) have pointed out, it has to go with the right mic on the right source.

mwagener

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2004, 09:28:56 PM »

Zoesch wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 08:33

mwagener wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 02:59

zoesch

Michael,

Funny, we've got pretty much the same chain going... my go-to amps are an ENGL Savage and a Laney GH100L (Both modded) but I've pretty much stopped micing cabs once I got the Motherload.

The difference here is one of styles, I would agree that the Chandler would be exceptionally suited to get the right "power metal" tone (Helloween/Maiden-style) but not to get the grinding and gritty "death metal" tone (Both the cleaner Death or the grittier Entombed style tones), that's where I think the 9098 shines through.

I love both my AMEK and my Chandler, but as you (And to a lesser extent I) have pointed out, it has to go with the right mic on the right source.

Makes total sense to me. The Amek was quite a bit tighter on the bottom than the TG-2

Gotta try that Motherload...love that Savage though. There is no living organism in the same room with the ENGL cab when that thing is crancked Smile

James Duncan

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

OK, I must be stupid here, but what is the Motherload? (Am I the only one in the dark here???)

James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Zoesch

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 11:26:46 PM »

Michael,

I'm quite sure Sequis (The manufacturers of the motherload) will be happy to demo a unit or send you one, they are a small company based in the UK after some people split from Palmer, so in case you don't have it here's the info on them.

BTW, am I the only one who likes the TG-2 on overheads? Gives this rich and bright cymbal tone that requires little EQ to fit in the mix.

mwagener

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 07:57:02 PM »

Thanx Stefan, I'll check that out.

Yes, I use the TG-2 on overheads too. I try not to use EQ if it isn't absolutely necessary, different preamps do eliminate having to use EQ. I feel it's better to use a stereo bus EQ once, if the whole thing gets a little dark, rather than using EQ on each channel. It's a completely different way of working from what I did before. Then I just used ANY mic with any mic pre (mostly the built-in SSL ones) and then eq'd the heck out of it. By not using EQs on every track it seems the picture becomes a lot clearer overall.

lucey

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2004, 04:48:17 AM »

mwagener wrote on Sat, 22 May 2004 18:57

Thanx Stefan, I'll check that out.

Yes, I use the TG-2 on overheads too. I try not to use EQ if it isn't absolutely necessary, different preamps do eliminate having to use EQ. I feel it's better to use a stereo bus EQ once, if the whole thing gets a little dark, rather than using EQ on each channel.

Are you saying you're at a point of not eq-ing at all in mixing?  

I have this goal, and with 4-5 pre amps in house can come close, yet even a little hi pass or mid boost is necessary most of the time...

What about compression?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 20 queries.