R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chandler TG2  (Read 16994 times)

Meriphew

Chandler TG2
« on: April 22, 2004, 05:04:34 PM »

I've been hearing alot of good things about this unit. Anyone have one, or been using one? What are you using it on? Thx.

Tim Gilles

Re: Chandler TG2
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 06:15:28 PM »

Hello merriphew.

How are you brudder?

Anyhoo.

A great box, one of the most unique and useful designs I've heard in years.

Not a lotta $$$ considering the sound.

Great on all kinds of stuff, from 'fizzy' gtrs to 'pillowy' toms... bass, some vocals... You name it....

NOT a 'clinical' pre.... But an amazingly useful one.

"Breaks-up" in all kinza cool ways if ya 'bang' the front end and attenuate the output.

The output is nominal at full clockwise.

Incredibly simple, practical, and pleasing sounding device.

Wish I had 4-5 of them.....

And someday....

I probably will...

Best regards.

Tim.

Meriphew

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »

Good to see you Tim. Your echoing what I've heard so far - more praise for the TG2. It's looking like I'll eventually drop some $ for one of them.

rphilbeck

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 09:07:14 PM »

It's fantastic.  Great on direct bass and acoustic guitars IMO. Right now I'm realy digging it on vocals with a 57 and an 1176.  

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 12:21:08 AM »

It's a great box.  But it depends on what else you have.  I wouldn't treat it as my primary, but it's more of a very sweet 'icing on the cake' so to speak.  Big lows, very soft mids, and somewhat attenuated highs.   Essential on guitar cabs if that gives you a clue as to it's sound.
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

Meriphew

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »

Right now I'm mainly using API pre's and a GT Vipre. The TG2 sounds like it's in the ballpark as far as what I'm looking for.

Speaking of Chandler products, I'm very anxious to hear more about the console(s) that Wade is working on. Any new info on it Nathan?

stef himself

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 05:14:31 PM »

hey nathan

why wouldn't you use it as a primary?

..obviously it depends on what you're going for, but i've started tracking with one, and it's ended up on just about everything at one point or another (havn't tried it on overheads or vocals yet, but i can see it working in those apps some of the time too)

-stef

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 04:38:42 PM »

stef himself wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 17:14

hey nathan

why wouldn't you use it as a primary?

I prefer something slightly less colored, with more of an extended top frequency, a faster slew rate overall, and a bit more 'snappy' in the mids most of the time.  When I need exactly the opposite of what I just listed, enter the TG-2.  I have about 90% of everything at my disposal, and if I used this pre on a majority of the tracks the mix (before processing) would be too mid forward and soft sounding for my tastes.  And to quantify, I use a minimum of 10 unique preamps on any production.

But the above goes for any preamp, having it's own unique stamp put on all or the majority of tracks doesn't make sense to me, some preamps more than others are further away from the general vibe I want the production to portray.  My goal with preamps, just like microphones, is to custom tailor the mic/pre combination to exactly how I want it to sound with a minimal 'fix it in the mix' approach.  Bring up the faders and it sounds like an album.  

Through experience and subjective taste I choose the frequency curve, distortion characteristics, etc of the front end combination to achieve exactly what I'm looking for.  As an analogy, if I need to haul lumber one day and street race the next I won't be using the beater truck for both applications.  If I've got a hot date and all I own is the truck, you better believe I'll be renting a nice car instead of trying to justify the muddy truck to the lady.
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

Zoesch

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 08:54:02 AM »

I've got it and I love it... best thing since sliced bread for overheads and some vocals, good character for jangly guitars, absolutely gorgeous with the right ribbon in front of it.

My only two peeves are the power supply, and the fact that it's only two pres per unit... meaning? I need to buy a second one Very Happy

I'd also give the TG Channel Strip a go if I were you...

I heard it...

And I went...  Shocked
It has always been Ringo's fault

Knastratt

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 01:58:29 PM »

What can I say. It's next on my gotta-get list. Along with a AEA ribbon for stunning distorted guitar sounds. Almost like real.

I bet tracking synths through it is a pleasure too.
Pär Hällquist - Trackstop Recording.
One stop track shop.

John Etnier

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 09:50:14 AM »

Quote:

A client brought a cheap Roland "workstation" in here and transferred premixed sequences in stereo through the TG2 DI: I couldn't believe how present, and pleasant, those transfers sounded.

Jim Dugger

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 10:24:15 AM »

Is it worth comparing this unit to the GR NV2?

I'm putting together a shopping list right now -- finally got the cash together to add a couple of nice pres and mics to the studio.  A "Neve" sounding, "slow", thick midrange kind of thing is one of the colors I don't have that I'm really thinking would be a nice thing to have.

dirkb

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 12:49:10 PM »

Knastratt wrote on Sun, 25 April 2004 18:58

Well, that's been the only application I haven't been impressed with the TG2. I like the DI of my API better for recording things like fake piano and strings, but YMMV.

Greetings,
Dirk

m.alhieo

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 03:57:48 PM »

hi,
has anyone tried it with a m149, by any chance ?

stef himself

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 01:36:35 AM »

yaya, api di is 'da shiz for boards of key

jim> for sure. i find them quite different. i've been using GR on distant stuff, room mics stuff like that, but close mics are chandler and api. i find this to leave more options open when mixing. my experience with the chandler is still in the fetal stage though!

-stef

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.