R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital audio is causing inner-city violence.  (Read 7276 times)

Ian Visible

Re: Digital audio is causing inner-city violence.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »

+1

I'm left with a great sense of nostalgia for my own (barely remembered) past.

Pleasurehead

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

I blame Blackeye Peas for all violence at the moment. That last pile of turgid shit that they came out with is right up there with "wassa matter you?" and the fucking birdie song. The instant I hear "I got a feelin" I want to kick someones head in.
You don't have more money when you grow up ... just bigger balls to juggle with.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?v=wall&re f=name&id=100000383945402

Fletcher

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »

Hank Alrich wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 08:20

There aren't "rough edges" in a properly reconstructed signal

Key word in that sentence is "properly"... which my iPod doesn't, and the D/A converters in my car stereo don't.  While I used to have converters in my old studio environment that did, I have no access to that hardware in my current musical listening environments.

PS:  I don't have a home stereo... in my house we listen to music via a Victrola... zero electrons involved in the process.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Barkley McKay

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »

I hear a swirling sometimes on cymbals on my ipod.

It sure sounds like "do it...do it..."

barks

JGreenslade

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »

Quote:

I am wondering whether we can't blame the CD for some of our social problems.

So you get some young person that is already feeling frustrated in society, an angry young man perhaps, and he is listening to CDs and digital sound sources 99 percent of the time, and you know, I just wonder whether there is a connection there.

- Rupert Neve

http://www.poonshead.com/articles.html

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

breathe

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:29 AM »

I am listening right now to Paul Horn's "Inside" LP recorded in the Taj Mahal.  Pretty fucking amazing record.  That reverb can't all be from inside the building, is it?  Anyways, the decay seems endless.  When I listen to a CD or MP3, I feel my heart clenched, like something is there and then not there.  I feel abandoned by the square waves.  I think most people can feel this disconnect but are not able to do an A/B test with something that is not this way.  Most people do not go out to see live music that has dynamic range and isn't digitally processed and is in a venue with decent acoustics.  I've been to a lot of shows in living rooms with just the vocals fed into a 60's Shure tube pa.  Magic.  It's one thing to experience the entrance of a sound, it's another to experience its exit.  I think this is what creates the experience of the presence of anything.  Being there/not being there.  You can tell when something is actually "happening".  It's a magical experience.  I'm too chickenshit to go all tape in my studio but I feel 24/96 with good converters gets me most of the way there.  Vinyl cut off of 24/96 masters is a better option for reproducing this than CD.  I am a devout Baudrillardian Post-Modernist, and this fuels my hunger for the "thereness" in my encounters.  Growing up in LA makes it that much more necessary to tell someone: "No, I really mean what I say."

Nicholas

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.