R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 discussion thread  (Read 48615 times)

briefcasemanx

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 01:08:16 AM »

Hey mcsnare, what did you use for compression and delay on the vox?

What did you use for chorus on the female vox at the beginning?

I like that snare A LOT. What did you do there?

Sorry if there's too many questions.

maxim

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 02:01:04 AM »

thanks for the tune, j

i had a real "cocteau twins" moment with  it

if it was you singing, i apologise for giving jen the lead vocal role and placing you in the back of the room

"it's still on the PSW server."

it's the 12" club remix

mcsnare

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »

I kinda liked Vlad's, but it's not a mix. It's a REMIX. That is not what IMP is about. It's a shame he is such a prickly pear.

Briefcasemanx, I used a UAD 1176 plugin. J.'s voc got a little MoogerFooger Analog Delay plug for ambience and then Echo Boy added on the choruses. The female voc got Echo Boy, and then on the end part I added dual mono H949 Eventide plugs. In all I think I used 3 Echo Boys and 2 Mooger Fooger delays to get things to swim a bit.
The snare has a tiny bit of a Ludwig Black Beauty sample added in.
The bass drum also has a bit of a sample added.
Dave

CHANCE

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »

I went in a different direction on this. First, it was at 44 which slowed it down. The bass drum's decay sounded like verb. I was getting more ideas as I progressed and wanted to add triggered 1/8's off the HH. I just finished a movie sound track and I think I was still in "soundtrack mode" LOL. I would loved to have had some time to spend on this.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

leester

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »

I listened to 29 of 'em last night at least once.

There were a few I have some specific questions on "how'd you do that?" and some where the vox (both male & female) were perfect.  

Kept looping them until I heard one I really liked, then 'blindly' put it to the end of the list.  I whittled down the list until there were 5 left, plus mine and j.halls.  

The ones I remember sticking out were Fibes, undertow, and three others that the mixer name escapes me ATM.  (I'll check 'em again when I get back to the house.)  I also enjoyed Vlad's(?), I understand that was the dance remix, but that wasn't the point of the exercise.  

Already learned a lil bout my own mixing preferences by comparison.  Y'all sure like the verb.   Laughing  That, and I'm skeert of them upper-mids and tend to mix around 'em for safety sake.  I blame the 20/20's.   Laughing

There was some really really interesting interpretations.  I was surprised how seemingly few picked the female vox as the lead, but as another poster mentioned, I kinda fell in love with it - and that's obvious in mine.  

ANyhoo - looks like I got a few more to listen to, and I'll get the names & specific questions together later.  

Thanks fer the tune J!  I wouldn't mind doing one of these every other week.  

lees

- "If you really think I am a 16 year old with a digi 001, then your own challange should be easy for you... shouldn't it.
Consider these insults to your honor and character and your face slapped with a 'muscular chat room' glove."  -  loudist

CHANCE

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »

iCombs wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 21:48

Quote:

ok, either i'm missing something, or vlad registerd yet another user name and was caught yet agian by fletcher, ernie and/or brad.

fill me in please, i was out all day.

Yeah.  Vlad posted a mix with your name on it.  I'm not going to comment publicly, but if you get a chance to listen, it's still on the PSW server.

Which is Vlad's?
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Careful Collapse

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2007, 10:59:25 AM »

Quote:

Which is Vlad's?

It's assumed this one; don't know who else would have done this!  http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP12_JHall.mp3
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

J-Texas

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 21:47

BTW, of course i'm too close to this, my mix represents what i wanted the song to convey emotionally.

My friend Wes and I were just talking about this 5 minutes ago. It's really hard to tell where people are coming from in type.

I don't know you man, so I can't tell. You snappy? I was being sarcastic. It's your song dude... of course your mix represents your feelings best. Do you think I would expect that one of these other mixes would make you say something like: "Damn! That's what I meant to do. I was totally wrong. What was I thinking?"  Smile

My buddy said his sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, that's why he doesn't write much.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. Everyone will know when I'm not joking. You can hear it in my voice. I mean, see it in my fingers. Well, you'll just sense it by what I write. No, that won't work either. You'll just have to get to know me. Yes. Definitely. That will work.

Sincerely yours,

Vlad... I mean Jason  Very Happy

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

J-Texas

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »

Careful Collapse wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 09:59

Quote:

Which is Vlad's?

It's assumed this one; don't know who else would have done this!  http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP12_JHall.mp3

Man, this sounded like someone hijacked the Starship Enterprise and took it to AcidPlanet!  Rolling Eyes

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

garret

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2007, 12:17:23 PM »

40 submissions!  Ack.
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

J-Texas

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »

CHANCE! Absolutely wicked dude! That scared the hell out of me. I had to turn around and look over my shoulder once. The "please doctor" thing is great too. I'm glad you turned it in after all!

Kim - Killer punch-boom-depth on the kick... love it.

Nick - I like your use of compression on this. Instead of taming those hats, the snare got pushed up with it. Very cool.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

craig boychuk

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »

Man, this is fun. Just sifting through all these mixes now. Talk about different strokes! ha ha!

This is one of the first mixes I've done with my new monitors, so if anyone ends up listening to my submission I welcome comments on the overall frequency balance...too much lf, not enough, dull, bright, etc etc.... I haven't listened to this mix on any other system, so I'm interested to see how it'll translate.

Thanks for contributing to this IMP, everyone!

-craig

Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

J-Texas

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2007, 01:52:18 PM »

craig wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 12:21

This is one of the first mixes I've done with my new monitors, so if anyone ends up listening to my submission I welcome comments on the overall frequency balance...too much lf, not enough, dull, bright, etc etc.... I haven't listened to this mix on any other system, so I'm interested to see how it'll translate.

Craig,

I think the new monitors are lying to you about the mids and highs. Maybe a freq adjustment or not so much overcompensating if it sounds too brittle to you in the room. The vox are a little burried too. Probably the mid thing. Check it out.

ps. I love the cranked up drama at the end. Very cool indeed.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Careful Collapse

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »

Quote:

welcome comments on the overall frequency balance
 More obvious to me was the stereo balance; it sounds like everything in the center is too low in the mix; drums, bass, and vox
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

BigMetal

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2007, 02:39:02 PM »

iCombs wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 16:46

HERE WE GO!!!  ROUND 1:

BigMetal - It kinda sounds like you just threw up the faders and panned stuff and called it a day.  Plus or minus some reverb.  The vocals sit too far back in the mix...and this is coming from a guy who's pretty notorious for burying vocals.  Get 'em up front where I can hear them.  Start there, because I'll tell you that they are the most important thing in this track.

I wish I had faders!!  badump pshh!  I'm always guilty of mixes being too even.  All the subtleties are too subtle because I think my mind tricks me (I know they're there so I hear them louder).  I guess I didn't get the point of the exercise when I approached the mix.  This isn't a knock on anyone, but many of the mixes seem like the "mix as a performance" is outplaying the actual performances.  When I threw up the faders I heard a vibe that was vulnerable and shaky... leaving the mix more stripped down seemed appropriate.  In hindsight I do agree that the vocals should be the focus.  I need help making things sound bigger.
David Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.