R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 discussion thread  (Read 48567 times)

leester

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »

I took it as "what can I get done in short order without obsessing for a month like I normally do..." which meant pretty much au natural.

Grabbed it Tuesday, spent 2 hours mixing, 3 more hours second-guessing and learnin' to live with the mess I made.  

The drums 'n bass was speakin' to me, so there's prolly way too much now.  Tracks seemed 'thin' (to me) so all the comp'n was done in the low-end.  Not sure who that voice is, but I think I've mixed something with her before? Anyhoo - loved it.  Both of 'em.  Guy voice, nice compliment - left it.  Organ, too loud / distracting, buried it.  Hi-hat from hell?  Loved it, left it.  Juno-60 sounding keys?  Confused the heck outta me, at least as they were.  Figured somebody wanted 'em in there (or they were a clever distraction) so I just put 'em where they made more sense (to me) in a kinda swirling 'round the toilet ending.  Guitars... almost forgot to un-mute 'em, so when I did towards the end, I just made 'em fit with what I had going.  

Lyrically, the only thing I noticed was the 'Save me' and eventually the "please doctor" (male vox was kinda buried) and I re-used that lil clip on the outta-whack ending.  

Had to leave it sit yesterday (boy's graduation) and when I listened back this morning in the car, I figured I'd go ahead and put it up.  

Speed and completion was kinda the issue for me, since it's a weak spot of mine.  Is it done?  Done enough, especially considering there's a load of mixes from everybody else.  Didn't make sense to obsess over it, but rather "do what I do... and fast" then see what y'all think I did right or wrong.  

Had a blast either way, and this'n pulled me outta lurk mode for the REP.  Keep 'em coming.  

loved it
lees
(PS - just fixed the link to my server AND uploaded it to PSW)
- "If you really think I am a 16 year old with a digi 001, then your own challange should be easy for you... shouldn't it.
Consider these insults to your honor and character and your face slapped with a 'muscular chat room' glove."  -  loudist

WallyWest

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2007, 05:11:02 PM »

i checked out the album J and it was stellar. Its a shame you guys only did the one album. The guitar tone is something special.
Andy Gilson

M Carter

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »

Ian -  I appreciate the feedback man.  The song just didn't pull me in the radio rock production that it seemed to pull everyone else.   I purposely pulled up all the hiss between the 2 verses... like you noticed,  I figured if I was going to go lofi, go all the way lofi.

On second listen, there may be a tad bit much in the low end huh?

I haven't had a chance to listen to the other mixes yet, will do when I get outta the office.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

homerecordingodyssey

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »

Well that was great fun, never mixed anything like that before. When is the next IMP Smile

Listened to nearly all of them, will listen to the rest when I get home from work.

Andrew

J-Texas

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »

iCombs wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 15:46

HERE WE GO!!!  ROUND 1:

Jason Thompson - interesting cuts on that bassline at the top.  Beatles, much?  Except Ringo's kit was always on the left.  The organ in the verse sounds weird.  Like a delay that's drunk and stumbling on itself.  I like the use of synths in the ending, but that feels like it needs more drama to me.

Like the critique.

I tightened up the panning on the Ringo skins in the "Heavier" mix. The "weird" organ was supposed to sound more like a pad. It sounded really drone and monotonous to me. I wanted it to swim and be dreamy. To me, if the synths had any more EQ than what I cut, they would sound like a synth on top of a mix. Too poked out for me man.

By the way... that's just where I was coming from. I AM DEFINITELY NOT TRYING TO DEFEND MYSELF. I really do like the critique. Much obliged partner.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Brian Lloyd

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »

Ian - Thanks for the input. this was my first imp and my first experience in the world of "indie" rock. personally i couldn't tie it all together but oh well. i stand by it...good or bad. listening to the mixes now and will post findings soon.

Thanks to all that have submitted.
Reality.exe corrupt. Reboot Universe?  (Y/N)

bennals

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »

Bennals -   You didn't like much in the male vocal, huh?  Rough.  

Thanks for the feedback Ian.  I'm pretty inexperienced at this.  It wasn't so much that I didn't like the male vocal, more that I fell in love with the female vocal and the way it was working with the guitars and bass.  I agree, my efforts with the drums were ordinary.  What I settled on was maybe the fourth reworking from the ground up but I still could have spent more time on them for sure.  The cymbal and ride samples were an attempt at glueing it all together I guess.  I'll be listening to everyone else's tonight.  Looking forward to it.

Bill.

mcsnare

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »

Thanks Ian! I liked a lot of them this time around. I'll try to find time to listen and critique.
Dave

Fibes

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2007, 08:28:35 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 19:28

Thanks Ian! I liked a lot of them this time around. I'll try to find time to listen and critique.
Dave

Your mix is great D. Totally pro.

I see we both touched the drums with DDL.

Should I feel left out that Ian didn't comment on mine?

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

mcsnare

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2007, 09:54:10 PM »

Kev, the first thing I noticed about yours (after the tres creepy intro and V1) was that delay on the drums. Great minds......
Dave

M Carter

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2007, 10:20:23 PM »

Yeah, i gotta hand it to Fibes, the drum delay was great on that one.  What delay did you use?
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

j.hall

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

WallyWest wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 16:11

i checked out the album J and it was stellar. Its a shame you guys only did the one album. The guitar tone is something special.

we will be doing an EP some time this year to document where things left off in the process of writing the next record when the singer and drummer were asked to leave.

we're in another project for fun, and when it's over, the club will rejoin and continue on.

j.hall

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2007, 10:47:25 PM »

J_Hall - WAIT.  Nevermind.

ok, either i'm missing something, or vlad registerd yet another user name and was caught yet agian by fletcher, ernie and/or brad.

fill me in please, i was out all day.

by the way, i posted twice, the second post of mine is that mix by "yanik"

BTW, of course i'm too close to this, my mix represents what i wanted the song to convey emotionally.

i'm loving what i'm hearing guys.  i was really nervous doing this with my own song, but i couldn't be happier with everyone's creativity.

maybe i should toss up another secret club tune in a few months.

i need to dig in to these.  this time i want to give some "artist" type feedback.  i want my critiques to be more "emotional content" based then straight technique.

fibes has joined us (after much bugging by me, and his schedule opening up) i'd like him to provide some of the technique based critiques.  his mix really blows me away.

scottoliphant

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2007, 11:06:20 PM »

2 tracks, one with an underscore. i was slow at first myself. i thought you threw us for a loop =) was cool hearing everyones take, gonna wait for the stragglers and dive into this tomorrow

iCombs

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »

Quote:

ok, either i'm missing something, or vlad registerd yet another user name and was caught yet agian by fletcher, ernie and/or brad.

fill me in please, i was out all day.

Yeah.  Vlad posted a mix with your name on it.  I'm not going to comment publicly, but if you get a chance to listen, it's still on the PSW server.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.