R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 discussion thread  (Read 48578 times)

dconstruction

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »

Quote:

So which mix is J's and which one is Vlad's?

Man-oh-man!  It's hard not to comment on Vlad's work.

--

Mine will be up after lunch today.  Left the stupid disc at home.

L

CHANCE

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »

Is the process of uploading as simple as it seems? Or am I going to be in for some surprises. I will only have a few minutes to do this during a session (on a break)
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

garret

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 14:01

Is the process of uploading as simple as it seems? Or am I going to be in for some surprises. I will only have a few minutes to do this during a session (on a break)

Yes, it should be very simple.

Export your mix as a 192kbps mp3, then upload it to the PSW server.

Open up the IMP page...

http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/

username: psw-imp
password: imp!234

Click the Browse button, and locate your mp3 file on your computer.

Click Upload!

Of course, we are talking bout computers, and they're always ready with more surprises if you want surprises.

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

CHANCE

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 02:17:54 PM »

Hmmm I burned it to a CD. I have it on my MAC desktop as wav. It's also in my Itunes library
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

blueboy

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 02:39:06 PM »

Excellent mix Fibes!
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

garret

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 02:46:11 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 14:17

Hmmm I burned it to a CD. I have it on my MAC desktop as wav. It's also in my Itunes library

Do you have an mp3 encoder?  I think LAME encoder is available for the mac, or itunes or quicktime can do it.  

Just googling around, I think this one will work...
http://philippe.laval.free.fr/DropMP3/index_en.php

Mac folks, can someone help Chance through this part?

Cheers,
-G

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

NelsonL

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 03:13:14 PM »

Chance, there are better ways to do this-- (download Audacity and get the LAME codec-- thanks again Chris J.)

But...

You can open iTunes, go into advanced prefs, importing, import as MP3, set to 192 khz (stereo, 96khz dual mono) and then reimport your mix into iTunes from CD as an mp3.

It'll stash the file in your iTunes library which may be slightly harder to find-- but if you ctl click on the song in iTunes I think it will reveal the file location.

If that doesn't work you could always burn an mp3 disk from your current .wav file (iTunes prefs, burning)and then copy it to your desktop to upload. I'm on a PC this afternoon otherwise I'd be able to be more exact about how to find the file location through iTunes. In windows it's in the right click menu, which usually corresponds to ctrl click on a Mac.

Liam

Fibes

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 03:18:05 PM »

Wow, so much cool stuff and so many files I'm gonna need a Cipher to figure out whozizwhat.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

M Carter

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »

so... how did everyone approach this one going in ?

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

grantis

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2007, 03:41:21 PM »

Quote:

Do you have an mp3 encoder? I think LAME encoder is available for the mac, or itunes or quicktime can do it.

Just googling around, I think this one will work...
http://philippe.laval.free.fr/DropMP3/index_en.php

Mac folks, can someone help Chance through this part?

Cheers,
-G

there is a program called "Switch" for Mac OS X.  just google it, it's all over the place, i think i got it at pure-mac.com

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Fibes

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2007, 04:01:28 PM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 15:25

I based the entire mix around the hiss from the last 15 seconds of the bass track.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

mcsnare

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2007, 04:11:52 PM »

Nice.

M Carter

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »

Yeah, and if you listen to closely you can here the pre delay off of the pre fader reverb send of the clog solo I mentioned before.  

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

J-Texas

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2007, 04:38:22 PM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 14:25

I didn't want to make any excuses for the living room sound and cover it up. Just jumped in a tried to make the best of what was there. Make it sound as cool as I could. The "heavier" mix was an assload more compression on the bass for sustain and not quite such a harsh split on the drums. Both are decent to me.

Propers:

Vlad, whoever did the tricked out mix. The Cure sounding guitar is what I liked.

AGP - Cool "Peppers" guitar sound

garret - Cool male vox

mcsnare - Cool drums

scottoliphant - Nailed the snare sound

J. - You're too close to it. Sounds great. Especially the guitars and vox. They cut.

Let's get stems of these elements (except the Cure guitar) and make a mega mix!  Very Happy

I've listened twice. Good job everyone. I hope everybody had as much fun as me.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

iCombs

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »

HERE WE GO!!!  ROUND 1:

Brian Lloyd - I'm not sure I like the cutting on the arrangement, especially when the edits aren't quite in time.  It doesn't sound like you found the element that tied everything together and built on it, you just cut stuff up.

Greg Dixon - Tasteful edting...I like the cuts into the arrangement.  The mix is straightforward.  I like the way you worked with the thickness of the recordings.  Everything sounds well-placed.  My only bitch is that this mix feels like it's looking for that one thing to take it up over the top.  Find that and you're golden.

McSnare - Another good edit job on the arrangement.  I like the cleaner intro.  Those delays on the drums sound like someone's spinning a whip in front of a stereo pair of something.  The unbalance of the mix is really cool.  I'm not sure I quite have the nads to leave a mix as asymmetrical as this.  I LOVE the smack on the snare drum...lemme guess...samples?  Not sure I like the super-brittle guitar texture, but otherwise, yet another killer mix.

Bennals - OMG the treatment at the top is lush. The dimension between the big bass and guitar and the kinda smallish vocal is GREAT.  Unfortunately, the drums don't feel like they keep the promise that the intro made. This is also an incredibly hot mix.  You didn't like much in the male vocal, huh?  Rough.  Not bad, but the drums don't feel like they belong to the rest of the track.  The cymbal crashes get a bit distracting, as well.

BigMetal - It kinda sounds like you just threw up the faders and panned stuff and called it a day.  Plus or minus some reverb.  The vocals sit too far back in the mix...and this is coming from a guy who's pretty notorious for burying vocals.  Get 'em up front where I can hear them.  Start there, because I'll tell you that they are the most important thing in this track.

Billybehdaz - another cut into the intro.  Nobody liked that?  huh.  So far, this might be the darkest mix I've listened to.  Again, those vocals are critical to this.  Without them, this is a song of three or four chords and 2 parts.

Careful Collapse - No organ in the intro.  Nice.  Kinda the opposite of what I did.  Wow.  Holy crap is there shit ALL OVER those drums.  Interesting way to feature that.  I think the delay on the female vocals is about twice as fast as it needs to be.  Wow...all that filtering on the guitar is cool, but the way it's used feels a little distracting...maybe because I can only hear bits and pieces of it...if you can find a way to keep it more obvious and still unobtrusive, it'll be a cool effect.  No organ ANYWHERE, huh?  Gutsy...kinda leaves it empty.  That slowdown ending is sweet, though.

DarkHorsePorter - More vocals.  Get 'em up there.  They're laying flat in the back of the track.  Everything feels pretty flat, and the guitars are pretty much dominating the mix.  They aren't what's important or dramatic in this song, at least not to the point where they should be the loudest part of it.

Devin K - Interesting treatment of that organ at the top.  I kinda like the cuts.  Another one where the vocals are too far back.  Bring them forward.  Both in terms of brightness and volume.  Vocal arrangement ideas are good, but they need to be executed more seamlessly.

Jason Thompson - interesting cuts on that bassline at the top.  Beatles, much?  Except Ringo's kit was always on the left.  The organ in the verse sounds weird.  Like a delay that's drunk and stumbling on itself.  I like the use of synths in the ending, but that feels like it needs more drama to me.  

J_Hall - WAIT.  Nevermind.

M Carter - Looks like you win the shortest edit award.  Damn that's a lot of bottom end.  And those vocals are something else.  HISSSSSSSSS.  BREATHE IN...kinda minimal...no female vox, huh?  unusual.  Everyone else seemed to be so fond of them.  I like how you found an idea and ran full-bore with it.  I'm not 100% sure it's my favorite mix of the bunch yet, but I'll definitely applaud you're sticking to a theme!

Scott Oliphant - Big dark drums.  Normal arrangement.  Vox are a touch dark for me.  Other that that, solid mix.  Sorry if the commentary on this feels a bit shortish, but you basically put up a good solid mix that's generally well executed but doesn't do anything unexpected.

TW - Bring the vocals up.  Don't be afraid to turn up the high end on some of it, too.  It needs the help as far as clarity is concerned.

AGP - Vocals are up.  Another asymmetrical mix.  Until the end.  Interesting.  The guitars feel brittle.  Woulda been nice to hear some more girth out of those. The female vox feel a little dark to me.  

ATOR - Like the treatment.  Clear.  You managed all the saturation well.  I like the delay work.  Great work with the ethereal aspects.  So far, you've done the best blending of the synthetic aspects with the acoustic aspects.

---------------------

Oops...looks like I have some real work to get done.  I'll pick this up later, but this should be a good start.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 17 queries.