R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 discussion thread  (Read 48558 times)

chrisj

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 11:23:39 PM »

I had a lot of fun too, though I did absolutely nothing to change the arrangement. I can't imagine trying to turn this into something coherent- with lyrics like 'doctor please save me' it was clearly a fever dream and demanded to be treated as such Smile

J-Texas

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »

chrisj wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 22:23

with lyrics like 'doctor please save me' it was clearly a fever dream and demanded to be treated as such Smile

I guess I read too much into it. I heard something about a Dad's Christmas present and thought maybe he wasn't doing too well. Mine got really dreamy with an angelic liftoff into the unknown at the end. I couldn't really make sense of the right synth. It wasn't in key, so I reversed it and used the parts that were with some delay and panning. A real space oddity to say the least. I was also able to do something with (only in my opinion) some lifeless organ. Add some EQ and space to it and then reversed a few of those parts and layered it very subtly. I was pleased with the arrangement. It really couldn't go anywhere else... it's not that type of song.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

yanik

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 12:45:51 AM »

My mix will be available at the URL below. I've already uploaded it because I won't be anywhere near a computer for the next few days, but the link won't work until Wednesday. I hope it's alright. By the way I love the song.

http://stonedogsmusic.com/imp/

grantis

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:27:46 AM »

Quote:

I had a lot of fun too, though I did absolutely nothing to change the arrangement. I can't imagine trying to turn this into something coherent- with lyrics like 'doctor please save me' it was clearly a fever dream and demanded to be treated as such Smile

i would agree, i didn't touch the arrangement.

and to whoever said something about 'conversations' in the tracks.   for whatever reason, i thought that was kind of cool, so i smashed the bass just so i COULD hear the convo.  Smile.......just my taste i guess......i'm stoked to hear what everyone did!!!
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

SingSing

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 05:28:28 AM »

Loved the song J. Looking very much forward to hearing the interpretations of this one.

All the best,

Stefan
SingSing

maxim

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 08:00:28 AM »

quite open to interpretation

CHANCE

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 08:05:26 AM »

I blew it. I imported it as 16/44 and it's too slow. The bass drum sounded soo massive LOL. It's too late now to give it a shot. Now that I know the routine, I'll wait for #13
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Iain Graham

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 08:28:01 AM »

Go with it. It's almost a perfect half step.

It'll be fine. No one else will have done it.....

Cos I do lots if instrumental trad Scottish stuff, I've been confused by this so many times.

No vocal so it sounds right either way.  Shocked  Confused  Laughing
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

audiosculpture

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »

CHANCE wrote on Tue, 05 June 2007 08:05

I blew it. I imported it as 16/44 and it's too slow. The bass drum sounded soo massive LOL. It's too late now to give it a shot. Now that I know the routine, I'll wait for #13

i think you should go with the slow/low version too, it could be very cool.  i just realized i did not use the synth tracks (i missed them when i transferred the tracks from work computer to audio computer).

bblackwood

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 09:51:17 AM »

Wouldn't tempo adjusments fall under arranging? It's not uncommon for people to change the overall feel of a mix by pitching it up or down (sometimes even as late as mastering).

I say post the 44.1 version- if you didn't think that the singer sounded like he just got shot in the neck with a tranquilizer dart then it might be cool...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Devin Knutson

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »

I have absolutely fallen in love with the second... er, verse?  Stanza?  Phrase, I guess.  Smile

"to live ten thousand years..."

For me, that big giant sloppy kick wanted to be a focal point, kind of like an erratic heartbeat winding down (save me, doctor!)...

Do I win even more fabulous prizes by uploading at the stroke of midnight tonight?  I can't wait...
SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »

i'm glad you guys are digging into the tune.  despite it's surface simplicity, it's a very complicated little ditty.

since i wrote everything including the lyrics, i can give you guys a lof of insight into the song itself.

please upload your slow version, i want to hear it.

chrisj and sidechain, digging into the lyrics for mix direction.......very nice!!!!!!

this song, and all the songs on the secret club record, are fairly tricky to decipher.  the music holds just as much value as the lyrics if you want to "find the point".  the unconventional arrangements are VERY intentional and in a lot of  ways, the lyrics are just used to create a secondary (or another) metaphor to the music.

so yes, the song was a xmas gift to my dad, his health was, and is currently, fine.  i wrote the song in the thick of writing the rest of the record and the rest of the band wanted it to open the record, it seemed to make sense to me, so we went with it.

i'll reveal more and answer any questions you have tomorrow.

J-Texas

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 10:47:23 AM »

I ended up going with the oddly balanced miking on the drums. Hard left and right with a sampled, low pass, kick up the middle. Then a little verb for space and depth. Pretty cool. Wacky.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

chrisj

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 11:47:53 AM »

CHANCE wrote on Tue, 05 June 2007 08:05

I did that once too, and posted it in the final lineup before realizing it, so you're ahead of the game Smile

Post it anyway! It's only a mistake, and on this song it might even work Smile

chrisj

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 05 June 2007 10:47

I ended up going with the oddly balanced miking on the drums. Hard left and right with a sampled, low pass, kick up the middle. Then a little verb for space and depth. Pretty cool. Wacky.

Likewise, with NO timing fixes, more verb and insane, insane compression all using my varimu clone. I have it squished so ridiculously that it's unrecognizable, and the loud hihat (spread aggressively into L and R by the miking) is my 'WTF' element- well one of them! I was like, can't make this 'nice', make it outrageous, on purpose Smile

Lastminute tweaks and daft ideas, engage...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.