R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 discussion thread  (Read 48922 times)

rankus

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »

homerecordingodyssey wrote on Mon, 25 June 2007 18:10

Thanks for the comments. I am going to remix it again from scratch until I feel it is up there with some of the other mixes submitted for my own learning experience.

Andrew

Thats what it's all about

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #241 on: June 25, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »

some times a "negative" review is much more educational then a "pat you on the back one"

if you are hear to learn, let the learning begin.  i treat every one the same during IMP, so never feel singled out.

SingSing

« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »

Let's get this thread going again.
Heard thru sennheiser hd-600
My view and therefore the truth...to me  Smile

Briefcaseman
Nice bass and guitars, organ very present...perhaps a bit too much for my taste. Nice treatment of vocals. Drums panned a bit weird with the kick to the left and the rest to the right, not sure if that's good. Generally a bit on the safe side with nothing really standing out (except for the loud organ =o)  Overall tasteful but too much on the safe side.

Brian Lloyd
When messing with the vocal I feel a bit of the 'tone' is lost. Perhaps a bit too creative with the original creation. Good vocal tone but a bit too much verb when used that loud. Instruments generally very low. Drums hollow yet loud. Different approach but not up my alley...

Craig
Safe intro. Hohoho, here comes the vocals...but they are too low. They'd fit as bg vox but here they are lost. You found a new kick! As safe as the first two until after the bridge. Now that's some strange guitars. A bold move...and I kind of like it! The vocals didn't work for me and they are the most important here...if you fix those and mess a bit with the scissor we might have something here.

Greg Dixon
Nice treatment directly from the start. Organ pans nicely. Nice lead vox that fits nicely in the production. Drums nice and big. This mix feels right throughout and there's nothing to complain about here. Good work!

McSnare
Very pro sounding (though the smiley frequency curve is a bit too present) but I'm not sure the guitars fit the song 2007. Very nice vocals...great sounding organ. The bg vox supports J perfectly. Smashing drums with a cool delay. Everything lined up...not sure if it's the best for this song. I kinda like the rough feel of the original. Anything but safe...yet sounding 'safe'. Quite an achievement, nice work!

Tom C
Instrumentation is sounding a bit boxy verbwise yet they seem a bit midrange heavy. Lead vox fits nice though. I need to hear this one through my monitors. Nice mix yet a bit on the safe side!

iCombs
Finally you got to use all those weird FX in your DAW!  =)  After listening to the song so many times I'm kind of used to 'safety mode ON' and your mix is anything but safe. Needless to say, interesting approach. Very nice bass & guitars, cool drums & big organ. Vox fit perfectly. And that fill before the 2nd verse is unexpected. Not sure it's needed before the chorus though. Good work!

Bennals
This I like. Nice use of noise. Organ fits perfectly! Ahhh...here comes the female vox...as lead. Very nice vox treatment. Where's J?  Wink  Drums are not supporting the otherwise really good sounding instrumentation. I need less verb on the hat and more punch!  =)  Very nice mix and it would be interesting to hear it with some pounding drums.

BigMetal
Safe sounding with the female vox as lead. What's all that about? Hehe.... I like the vox treatment. Overall this mix feels a bit unfinished. Nothing to really complain about but still doesn't capture the feeling of the song.

Billybehdaz
That room is too present. Nice and safe mix but the vox needs to be treated differently. The tracks sound lined up but not worked with.

CarefulCollapse
Nice guitar & bass. Interesting use of a dubdelay on the bg vox! How did you do that weird noise on the kick? Tasteful weirdness though the transition from chorus to verse might be a bit abrupt. I like your use of the noises. Good creative mix and this far first price for automation.

Chance
Glad to see you didn't try to resample it...I did that last IMP and the outcome was less than stellar. This is spooky. J's vox scares me.... =)  Nice automation and though it's the wrong samplerate I like it this way. I'm not sure about the percussion though. Nice work!

I'll be back in a minute...

homerecordingodyssey

« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »

I would really like to play the best mix as judged by you J. on my Podcast. The only trouble is of course that you may have even more to judge next IMP Smile

Let me know if I can have permission to do this and of course which mix you want me to play.

I don't know if you have ever listened to my show but it is basically home recording for beginners. (by beginners)

Regards

Andrew

j.hall

« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2007, 11:14:36 AM »

i can't do it for the simple reason that it turns IMP into a contest and IMP has nothing to do with winning, and every thing to do with personal taste, and the development of personal instincts and skills.

you can play my if you want, or your own.  any others will have to have the blessing of the person who mixed it.

briefcasemanx

« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2007, 03:56:10 AM »

The Organ cutting out is how the file was when I downloaded it. Also, I am not very creative.

Careful Collapse

« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2007, 04:37:26 PM »

I kinda want to see the next one be anonymous.  I'd have a much easier time being honest and writing up my critiques if I didn't have to second guess myself, thinking something like "I dislike this mix but he dislikes mine, I don't want to seem sour..."

KnowwhutImean?
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

ATOR

« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »

Careful Collapse wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 22:37

I kinda want to see the next one be anonymous.  I'd have a much easier time being honest and writing up my critiques if I didn't have to second guess myself, thinking something like "I dislike this mix but he dislikes mine, I don't want to seem sour..."

KnowwhutImean?

Just set up a way you can listen to the mixes blind. Drop them in your DAW and write your review per tracknr. Then when you're finished look up the name behind the tracknr.

Making IMP anonymous would make things unnecessary complicated.

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

J-Texas

« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »

Careful Collapse wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 15:37

KnowwhutImean?

To me, that's getting one step further from personal in this internet medium. I like the cyberspace cafe here, where we can talk 'face to face'. I mean, the comfort zone and solitude wherever your butt is planted right now, the pseudo names... let's at least man up and get real. I doubt J. will fly wherever you are and want to kick your ass for clowning his mix. You know what they say about opinions, right? EVERYBODY has one. Art is subjective. Tell the truth. But let's not pass notes in the hallway between classes man.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

J-Texas

« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »

ATOR wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 15:55

Drop them in your DAW and write your review per tracknr. Then when you're finished look up the name behind the tracknr.

Hey, that's cool. When the discussion page comes out, the names and numbers could be listed then. Good idea! At least it's not biased that way. Oops, maybe that's what you were saying Careful Collapse.

I stick z foot in z mouth quite often, no?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Careful Collapse

« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »

Oh yeah, I mean posting the reviews or critiques or whatever here like normal but not revealing who mixed what until some specified point.
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

Tom C

« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2007, 04:16:01 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 23:04

Drop them in your DAW and write your review per tracknr. Then when you're finished look up the name behind the tracknr.

Hey, that's cool. When the discussion page comes out, the names and numbers could be listed then. Good idea! At least it's not biased that way. Oops, maybe that's what you were saying Careful Collapse.

That's exactly what I did last IMP: put all the tracks in the DAW,
hide the track names, shuffle them around a bit and assign the
comments to the track numbers.
Un-hide track names, put the names to the comments and post it here.
Tom

.signature failure

spoon

« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »

Hey Tom, how did you shuffle them without seeing the track names...what DAW did you use?

I like this technique.

Regards,
David

Tom C wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 03:16

J-Texas

« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »

spoon wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 09:41

Hey Tom, how did you shuffle them without seeing the track names...what DAW did you use?

I like this technique.

Regards,
David

Tom C wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 03:16

I just thought it would look cool to have one more box of quotes.

Tom, I remember (now) that you said you did that.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Tom C

« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »

Hi David,
I use Cubase.

I drag'n'drop all the mixes into Cubase, switch off file
properties for the tracks (so I can't see the original file
names) and move them around by hand/mouse because they
are kind of alphabetical sorted in the files explorer I
dragged them from.

That's from memory, if you need more detailed information
drop me a note and I'll have a look when I'm sitting at
the DAW later today.

spoon wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 16:41

I like this technique.

Regards,
David

Tom

.signature failure
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.