R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 discussion thread  (Read 48586 times)

garret

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2007, 10:34:12 PM »

Chris, you madman.   Thank you for reviewing all the tracks... much appreciated.

re: my track... good catch, I worked a lot on the organ to get it to sit up high without hurting my ears.  I'll check the signal chain later, but I think it's just high shelf eq, stereo chorus, and some tape saturation.  Re: not doing much.. I actually worked quite a bit on this one, maybe 5 hours or so.  For a change, I tried to rein in my creative side and let the tune and arrangment stand as-is.  Yah, I know, what a concept! I've been guilty of overworking stuff in previous IMPs, so this time around, I just wanted to make a mix that worked perfectly with no trickery.  I'm happy with my mix, and have learned something.  Yay IMP.
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

yanik

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2007, 11:28:19 PM »

J, thanks for posting mine. I'm glad somebody hates it already.

J-Texas

« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2007, 11:57:40 PM »

Madman is right! Dude you have had too many quad grande non-fat vanilla four sweet-n-low lattes  or a truckload of 'white witch'.

Whatever the case... I love it.

That's a freakin' critique. (or as the French say: "critique")  Confused

The ONLY person to ever say "weenis" is my wife's 14 year old 2nd cousin. I thought he was bullshitting me.

I can hear the monks now.

Man... just save the guy in the steel tube. He needs you.

El is starving for his soup. Yes, El Duderino (if you're not into that whole brevity thing).

Dishing out spankings and talking about yourself in the 3rd person?

I like your style.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

maxim

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2007, 12:02:35 AM »

chris wote:

"It makes me nuts when the lead vocal hides. What could be more important?"

the song?

in the end, the song could be about a boy and his father, a girl and her lover, a dog and his master etcetera

don't prejudge the mixes because YOU know what was left out

imo, the female vocalist delivered the emotion better than the male, so i put her in the lead

in the "real world", i would have had some communication with the band about this decision, but this is "virtual world', where anything goes...

i too have enjoyed the mixes where the male vocal was upfront

there are a myriad ways of mixing a track...

this is, in part, what this is about

J-Texas

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2007, 12:17:08 AM »

maxim wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 23:02

in the end, the song could be about a boy and his father, a girl and her lover, a dog and his master etcetera

don't prejudge the mixes because YOU know what was left out

imo, the female vocalist delivered the emotion better than the male, so i put her in the lead

Max,

I thought his dad was dying then... and is dead now. That's what I got out of it (and the little info we got from J.) You're right. Sparky could have been run over right in front of my eyes... it's still a desperate sounding tune.

I also said in a previous post that I wished I could have used the chick (no offense Kim) in the lead too. She was defintely feeling it dawg (I swear I don't watch 'Idol'). The bottom line is that it wasn't strong enough by itself and didn't make sense as the melody 100% of the time. To me, it was clearly the backup. The male vox had the emotion and character IMO.

But as they say: "Opinions are like assholes... everybody's got one!"

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

M Carter

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2007, 12:54:30 AM »

re: Touch the weenis

my friend had just bounced out a demo with his band, and had named it "touch the weenis", my fault for not noticing.

ChrisJ: I appreciate the remarks.  As far as Jen's vocal went, the harmonies didn't serve any purpose to me, so I took them out.  I also didn't "get" the outro.  Admittedly, I may have missed the mark a bit on this one, but I like the direction I took it, although I think the execution could've been more thoughtful.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I would've included the outro.  I think what happened is that the song took too long to get there, and it felt that way.  I probably could've shortened the break, and brought that outro in sooner.    

So far  i think my favorite mixes are J's, mcsnares, grants, and fibes'(which is funny, because none of them sound anything close to mine).  Those are at least the ones that stuck out right away.  I haven't gotten through all of them yet though.

Sure had fun with this one tho, thanks J.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

chrisj

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:04 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 23:57

Dishing out spankings and talking about yourself in the 3rd person?
I like your style.

Charitable to talk to a doomed man that way! Very Happy I'm gonna get reamed in return, it turned out to be one of my _least_ feel-good nicey-nice crit sessions because I was so rushed.

That's what I do- if I'm in one of these things I try to crit every legitimate entry. It took hours. No unusual amount of coffee.

I stand by all my half-assed opinions, whether or not they are wrong Very Happy no matter how wrong they are, and no matter how bad my track sucks, I honestly did have those reactions listening to each of the mixes. The idea is, you get to know what the reaction was, and then you decide if you want to call it a stupid reaction or a perceptive one. Odds are, when I said 'yay you roxxors!' those people will consider it a perceptive reaction Wink

I'm looking forward to seeing other people's crits.

grantis

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2007, 02:44:23 AM »

Quote:

imp12_grantrichard4- I enjoy the background noise on the bass track! The guitar is stepping on it, though, I liked what the intro bass did so much that I want to hear more of it, want it (and the lead vocal) to be the centerpiece. Instead there's a droning quality I'm not liking, coming from the guitars and organ. I am also liking the drums, though. But too much is compressed at once. I don't hear it as good that EVERYTHING is smashed as a stunt. Good- no GREAT on the bass track but some of that stuff ought to lay back...

thanks for those words!  i only made the bass like that because I'd never mixed an upright bass before, and it was a good challenge, so that's where i oozed out most of my vibe.  honestly, i didn't know what to do with the guitar, so i did what i always do......re-amp it with an ac-30 and crush it.  i think if i'd not compressed the guitar, or the organ, and left the drums the way they are, the mix would have 'breathed' better.

as far as my compression goes, i'm still learning proper management of 2bus compression.  anybody got any tips as to what their using on their 2bus?

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

AnonymousUser

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2007, 03:48:11 AM »

The female vocals weren't lead?  Wow, I really missed that one. Embarassed

Kim Watson

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2007, 07:52:45 AM »

Hey Chris

Thanks for your kind comments.

>Polite mix....

Most of my mixes wind up being very conservitive. That is something I really need to work on. what do you think is the cause.... eq? or having the vocal to instrument balance.

Kim
x

CHANCE

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »

chrisj wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 18:37

IMP12_ CHANCE_WRONG_SAMPLE_RATE- Whoah. It's a troop of monks doing basso harmonies! Where did the rattler come from, I don't remember it? Maybe it's just the different pitch. Can't criticise this because working on the wrong sample rate is horribly distracting- it's interesting and the heavy use of harmonizer is a bold stroke, as is the rattle. I don't feel the song at all, though. Oh well- better luck next time, I made the sample-rate mistake once too and it ruined my entry that IMP Smile

The rattler (vibraslap) and cabassa was triggered off the snare track. The lead vox was processed with the "voice pryzm plus" using harmonies with tension (think Manheim Steam roller) The "whisper" was processed with the "voice one". Because of the slow speed, (sample rate) and spending a month on a film sound track, the drums were unusable at that speed and I felt lead to go in this direction. Not my cup of tea, but it was an interesting project. Truly a first for me.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

UnderTow

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2007, 08:57:50 AM »

Wow Chris! You have allready listened to all 41 mixes!  Shocked

chrisj wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 03:37

Oh my god,
IMP12-UnderTow- Yay, weird introness! Synths cut and pasted everywhere!

There are only three short synth sections I used. The one at the beginning, the one just before the start of the drums (it was reversed) and the one in the break.  The other synthy sounds are the organ going through Ohmboyz Emhatohm and/or iZotope Spectron, the backing vocal going through Bufffer Overflow and the female vocal going through iZotope Spectron and/or GRM Freeze. The noise burst comes from the start of the bass track. Oh and all going through delays with filters and two reverbs.

Quote:

This is certainly establishing the 'so much sick' concept, though funnily enough the singer doesn't seem vulnerable at all. It sounds like he's SMILING, then he's on a telephone.

Smiling? Lol.  Laughing  I just dual-band compressed the shit out of the lead vocal, added a bit of presence and saturation. Oh and verb.

Quote:

A lot in the mix is supporting a disorienting lead vocal, but the lead vocal itself has been made stronger somehow. I don't remember it being sung strongly and solidly, there's a vulnerability that has gone away.

I tried different things with the male vocal but ended up going back to a relatively clean (albeit compressed) version. Anything else I tried felt too outlandish and didn't work with the female vocals.

Quote:

WHOA- you have to tell how you produced a sort of flanged conga track out of what you were given, because I'd swear it was new tracking and if it was, BZZT Wink

Heh.  Cool It was actually purely accidental: I was changing things arround and accidentaly routed the drum mix to one of my FX busses and this sound came out more or less. The bus had Antares Filter, CamelSpace and Nitro in series. (You can also more or less hear it at the beginning on the synth). The combined swept filter resonance of these plugins created these conga'ish sounds. I bounced the bus to a track and cut out the hits that were in tune with the rest and then made them sound more percussive with heavy compression, some layering with other more distorted hits and more filter sweeping.

In the last section I took one of the bass notes, lowpassed it so that there was nearly only sine left, layerd it under the attack of one of the conga'ish sounds and then compressed to the max. I also used different hits in the last section to change the beat a bit.

I fed these new beats to delays and more swept filter resonance, flanging maybe a few other things.

The snare hit is one of the snare hits going through cianyde, EQued and filter delayed.

Now off to listening to 40 mixes.  Shocked

Alistair

j.hall

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »

i can hardly keep up with this thread.

BTW, getting a lot of info ahead of mixing will simply not happen.

95% of the time, i simply get files and a deposit check.......that's my world, therefore, imp will be the same.

Fibes

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2007, 10:31:49 AM »

I'd like to thank Chris J for taking the time to comment on ALL the mixes.

For those of you who do not agree with his comments don't sweat it. He took the time to make them and the beauty is we are all different and that is what makes this IMP thing special.

At mix time it's all about the song, the artist and what you bring to the table.

So, take this comments, think about them and see if they match the most important critic of all, YOU.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

J-Texas

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always save your work. I was almost finished my my critique and I hit the back button!

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 19 queries.