Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RMGI  (Read 3801 times)

acorec

RMGI
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:48:32 AM »

OK. I hear from the recording crowd that RMG tape is shedding. It is supposed to be because the tape is slit wider than Quantagy and any machine that has run Quantagy tape will have grooving too narrow for RMG tape. I ran many reels of RMG tape through 2 of my 1/2" machines and everything looks fine. Have people here had this shedding problem?

I am curious if the pro machines (with healthy continual maintenence)have these problems.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Dominick

Re: RMGI
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »

No problems with RMG here. Runs clean and true on our Studer A820's which have had every type of stock run on them in the course of the last 15 years.
Dominick Costanzo

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »

I had way more problems with GP-9 shedding and not being slit properly which is why I switched to the RMG tape... which sounds fucking LOVELY!!!!  [

The RADAR is my main machine but every now and again the tape machine is a bit better for the music at hand... I run "simuls" on each song then choose whether or not we're going to use the take from the tape or the take from the RADAR... I'd say that like 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 ends up coming from the tape into the RADAR and the rest are straight RADAR.  Neither here nor there, the RMG "900" has been the best forumulation I've tried so far.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

steve p

• Real Full Name: Steve Perkins
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:20:56 PM »

No problems here with the Sm900 RMG, i love the sound Smile
im running it through a Studer 820mch at 15ips with Dolby SR

Trackin a record with it right now Smile

Steve Perkins

Creation Recording Studios

JOHN 3:16

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:43:40 PM »

I've mastered several projects off of RMG recently with ZERO shedding issues - it also packs very evenly and sounds great...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

M Carter

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:43:48 PM »

Good to know that the RMG stuff is great, we occasionally get the odd analog project or so...

It sure is hard to get people to switch from their preference though (even if it IS out of stock).

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

scottoliphant

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »

for what it's worth, i just ordered 2 reels of 2" 456 from tapes.com, and they appear to still have some left (http://www.tapes.com/index.php?cPath=95_113). We've also used the rmgi tape, and can corroborate the shedding problems seem to have been corrected

Jean Taxis

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 17:41

I had way more problems with GP-9 shedding and not being slit properly which is why I switched to the RMG tape... which sounds fucking LOVELY!!!!

Fletcher, do you feel any difference with the former BASF maxima 900 ?

Quote:

I run "simuls" on each song then choose whether or not we're going to use the take from the tape or the take from the RADAR... I'd say that like 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 ends up coming from the tape into the RADAR and the rest are straight RADAR.  

Interesting, I'm just curious to know which exact model Radar converters/sample rate you use, since I sometimes also run "simuls" test with my Radar II & A800...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.