R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cd release party  (Read 2056 times)

saxplayerz

Cd release party
« on: July 29, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »

Harvey ,

I'm backing a vocalist for a cd release party this weekend. She booked the venue for $800, pays the band $350 and is getting half of the door @ $7 (advance) 10 (door). Is this a typical arrangement for a cd release ? Why is the venue taking the half @ the door and rental for the night ? Seems like a bad deal.

“So until we see you again, bright moments and keep searchin’ for your mystery note on the universal piano of life. ” - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Level

Re: Cd release party
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 12:28:31 AM »

I got a review gig coming up. 7 shows, 7 nights (one of my artists) over 14 days. 3000 against the door of 10 each. 300 people, break even. For PITIES sakes, they are getting food and bev. They stand to do at least 5K a night. Each venue holds 600 to 800.

We are budgeted to clear 14,700. Minimum for this. And no merchandise either. We will take orders Paid in advance. (we may do CD's actual, and do great)

This is with an expected crowd of 85% of door/300

I hope to see 65K actually total gross.

It helps that the artist is established and is doing a 40th anniversary tour.

This comes under the same heading as a CD release, comeback party.

CD release parties:

It may be totally different from everyone else..but I do NO cover, No gig expense (other than time and sweat) and hope to sell Tee shirts, Posters, cards, hats and CD's to make it happen.

IF I organize a CD release party, it is open to the public. This comes under the heading of promotion.

If they buy the hat at 10, shirt at 10, poster at 5, signed card at 3 and cd at 10...we do OK.

Is it normal these days to charge cover for a CD release party?

I never did...and never lost either.

Net Radio expense is 1200 for spots/remote.. We net above cost, usually sell out of promo goods.

The club should only get food/bev IMHO.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Conner

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:01:44 AM »

Just to chime in for a sec,
 the independent band I just finished working with has worked a deal w/ a local Irish pub in that the band buys 2 kegs at cost. Everyone that comes thru the door pays ten or twelve dollars(I forget which) to get 2 pints of nice imported beer and a copy of the cd.
  Overhead for such a thing is about $100. The band pockets all the money, numbers look awesome on Soundscan, the pub pays them a couple hundred dollars to play, the bar makes a shitload of cash, and customers get to see a show and leave with a "free" cd. Customers easily buy 2 beers, why not get a "free" cd?
Everyone wins in this situation.
As this is a major hot spot in town several hundred people are in and out during the evening. As the band has only ordered 1000 cd's from press, They will have to reorder in a couple weeks. (This is a good thing because my name is misspelled on the first batch!)
  I just wanted to share and get your opinions. It seems like this is a fantastic idea, if it is how come more people/places don't do it this way?
  Can you see a flaw in this? If so please share.
Thanks for your time.
-Conner

Matt Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 04:04:51 PM »

$12 for two beers and a CD for the people just wondering in is a bad deal for them.  Maybe it's just me here in the Midwest, but I wouldn't fork over such a heavy cover for a band I didn't know.  Plus, I'm pretty sure most bars pay way more than $100 for two kegs.  They get taxed pretty heavily on booze.  

It's cool when bands offer 'free beer while it lasts' an hour before the show for one price, and normal door after that.  That isn't as limited as just 2 pints and people see more value in it.  

I think.

Conner

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 09:07:15 AM »

Regionally I could see your point,
 I've spent a little time in Wisc. it does work different there. Not that thats a bad thing(I actually prefer it), but here the cost of living is higher, and the type of joint it is is a little misleading. The place is a High End type of Irish pub, beers are normally $4 for domestic and $5-$6 for imports.
 Not exactly sure but the last time I think it was like $70 or so for the keg at cost. The amount actually made on one keg is rediculous. I think it costs like 5 cents to fill a pint glass. I think the deal is even for the ones that enter the joint that are there for dinner or not drinkers are given free admission but could still purchase the cd or beer ticket style thing.

John Ivan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 07:22:53 PM »

I would gladly pay $12.00 for a CD and two pints of Beer. Just my 2 cents.

The way I've done shows seems to work pretty well. The bar gives me the joint and I charge what ever I want within reason and put my own guy at the door. They have a guy checking ID's. They sell the beer and I sell the music. I pay for the tech and 50 bucks for the rig {in house}. If they want part of the door, I bring the price at the door up or move down the street. They don't want me to move down the street  so, they give me the gate. They have nothing to bitch about because they sell a ton of booze and don't have to worry about the music or tech part at all. Works for everyone..
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

saxplayerz

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 06:34:08 PM »

ivan40 wrote on Fri, 13 August 2004 19:22

I would gladly pay $12.00 for a CD and two pints of Beer. Just my 2 cents.

The way I've done shows seems to work pretty well. The bar gives me the joint and I charge what ever I want within reason and put my own guy at the door. They have a guy checking ID's. They sell the beer and I sell the music. I pay for the tech and 50 bucks for the rig {in house}. If they want part of the door, I bring the price at the door up or move down the street. They don't want me to move down the street  so, they give me the gate. They have nothing to bitch about because they sell a ton of booze and don't have to worry about the music or tech part at all. Works for everyone..

Ivan ,
Do you pay for the bar rental and take the door to pay band  ?
How much $$ for the bar ?

“So until we see you again, bright moments and keep searchin’ for your mystery note on the universal piano of life. ” - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

John Ivan

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 08:25:06 PM »

No. The way we've done it is, The bar lets me HAVE the room because they want it filled with people drinking. I take the whole gate and pay for their guy to check ID's. I pay my guy/or girl, to take money so I don't have to worry about where the money is. I pay my own FOH tech and pay $50.00 for the use of the P.A... If I brake something, I buy it. The bar would rather be full then empty. All they have to do is sell drinks. Maybe I'm lucky but this is what we have worked out in the past and it seems to work fine. On flat rate nights, they have to worry about marketing,paying the band out of the till,techs and all the other stuff. They seem to like not having to do anything but open beers and mix drinks. There is no risk on their part except over-staffing for a slow night. It's up to me to fill their room.

Look at it this way. Unlike a music venue that dose not otherwise operate, a bar is open anyhow. They might as well fill the room. I've lost my ass a couple times but only a couple times. When I lose my ass, the room still dose ok. If I'm going to take the risk,I want the gate.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

joeq

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:22:58 PM »

Conner wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 10:01

Overhead for such a thing is about $100. The band pockets all the money, numbers look awesome on Soundscan, the pub pays them a couple hundred dollars to play,

Conner
how do you get the cd sales at the event to show up on Soundscan?  I am interested in the details.

TIA

Conner

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 08:21:09 AM »

Not sure exactly how it works, I'm sure someone here has better knowledge of this but...
as I understand it, the band/label(whoever owns the recording w/ barcode) is given a form to fax into the headquarters at Nielsen. Its pretty much going on the honor system when you are an indie. I now hear that this is a trick used by many labels to fudge on units moved. So I haven't gotten all the details worked out but I can let you know when I find out.

There is a scanner that you can purchase from the company. Somehow you can set yourself up as a "retail" outlet. Since all the cd's in my case were paid for by the band, what they could do is scan lets say all 1000 copies(first pressing) in the first week, and then just sell them as they play shows or get orders. Seems like a major loophole to me but like I said I'm sure someone else could shed more light on the subject.

-Conner
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.