R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Be A Rock Star On The Internet (And Make A Ton Of Money Selling Your MP3s).  (Read 3236 times)

hargerst

May 2000 -

With a lot of bands on the Internet with a web page and having MP3s for people to listen to, I started paying attention to some of the issues involved in how the Internet works with regards to music.  A question was raised in the "rec.audio.pro" newsgroup, which is made up of engineers and producers.  One of our members (a respected equipment reviewer) said:

"One thing that it got me thinking about was that perhaps what the MP3-of-the-unknown-band thing might do is get bands gigging and touring, something that many of those MP3ers don't do now."

A second member (Bob Ohlsson) answered by saying:

"The reason unknown bands aren't gigging and touring is precisely BECAUSE they are unknown!"

"The band's first task is to become known as entertainers. The way you do that is by advertising and doing things that will get you publicity, i.e. putting yourself in places where you will stand out, where people will perceive you as being extraordinary and unique. Cleverly designed matchbook covers would probably do a band more good than posting an MP3!"

"Until a band has gotten themselves known and really gotten a handle on WHO their audience is demographically, they probably shouldn't even be recording because it's a waste of money. Recording is a fun hobby but it doesn't become a business until you KNOW exactly who you are directing the recording to. You can't hit one over the fence when you don't know where the fence is unless you totally luck out."

Bob is right (as usual) - the Internet is way too big to do a specific unknown group much good.  It doesn't mean shit if you've got 3,000 hits to your web site, if they're not able to see you play cause they live a 1,000 miles away.  So what if 5,000 people downloaded your MP3?  They may have been curious, but that doesn't mean they're gonna buy the album.

I've said it about 50 times now, but here it is again:  BUILD A FOLLOWING!!  PLAY EVERYWHERE!! When you can sell 5 to 10,000 records on your own, or thru a small independent, then you have a chance of getting signed to a major label. Live and CD reviews in local mags (like Harder Beat) can help, but it still boils down to getting more people in to hear you play than just your family and friends.  

Sure, you can sell/give away 200 CDs to everybody you know, but where are the 800 people that will buy the rest of the 1,000 CDs you ordered?  Your family and your friends can't support you - you hafta live (as a group) off of money that strangers will give you because they are fans of your shows and your music.  They buy it for one reason - because it makes them feel good.  

What are you doing to make your group memorable?  How does your group stand out from the 1,000 other groups in town?  What's different about you?  Why should anybody go to one of your shows?  What's so special about your group, and are you taking advantage of that special difference?
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

leester

hargerst wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 14:23

May 2000 -

"Until a band has gotten themselves known and really gotten a handle on WHO their audience is demographically, they probably shouldn't even be recording because it's a waste of money. Recording is a fun hobby but it doesn't become a business until you KNOW exactly who you are directing the recording to. You can't hit one over the fence when you don't know where the fence is unless you totally luck out."

I got lost in 'who said what' but this is pure gold.  

lee ster
- "If you really think I am a 16 year old with a digi 001, then your own challange should be easy for you... shouldn't it.
Consider these insults to your honor and character and your face slapped with a 'muscular chat room' glove."  -  loudist
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.