R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CAD Equitek E-200  (Read 13414 times)

j.hall

Re: CAD Equitek E-200
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »

grant richard wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 17:33

yeah, the engineer (who shall remain nameless.....) who did my band's dying record used an M88 on the snare.  MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE EVER HEARD.  ok, perhaps an exageration, but it worked really well.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nice!!!!

malice

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 22:06

M Carter wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 12:16

And funny, I've had an RE20 work more often than an SM7....

gofigure.

well, we are talking about two mics built specifically for the capture of the human voice.

I am sure you realised by now that it is the case for most of the kik drum mikes such as D12, D25, RE20, M88, MD421,

The less popular kik drum mikes were NOT designed for vocals

like : the D112, the Beta 52 etc ...

Quote:

don't get me wrong, i totally dig seeing a big U-47 in front of a singer, i just got tired of lining up 3 - 6 mics to hear which one would work best. the SM-7 just works every time i've tried it. in the last 2 years, i've stopped reaching for anything else.

No offense, but you must be recording the same kinda music every fucking day the past two years. Beacause as much as I like the SM-7, I couldn't imagine not "reaching for anything else" for two years for vocal recordings  ...    Shocked

malice

rankus

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »

LOL , different strokes...

I put up my SM7 for just about every vocal tracking session (shootout), and haven't ever used it on a recording yet.

Used it on snare a few times...

Got a female punker doing scratch tracks tonight,.. I think I will try out the 7 in honor of this thread.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

starscream2010

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 10:47:13 PM »

I own an older pair of E-200's (can't speak for the new ones) and though I haven't used them in a while... they work on some vocalists, some not... just like anything else.

IMHO, I think that they beat out most chinese ldc's that I've heard in pretty much any application. I now have a pair of 4033's so, I no longer have a use for the CAD's. Hope this helps some.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

grantis

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 11:10:49 PM »

yeah, most of the opinions i'm hearing are saying that the old ones were far superior to the newer ones.  i guess CAD used a cheaper capsule in the new ones.  
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Andy Peters

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »

grant richard wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 23:16

Anybody ever used this microphone?

I just demo-ed one, and IMO, it sounds AWFUL.  Cheap sounding low end, honky mids, absent high end.  I'd heard good things about it too......

I have a pair of E-100s that are my go-to mics for guitar amps.  And ages ago, when I recorded a band I was in, we auditioned a handful of the Usual Suspect LDCs for vocals and the E-200 was our choice.

The trick with these CADs is that they have a pair of 9V NiCd batteries that actually power the electronics.  The phantom power trickle-charges the batteries.

NiCds don't have infinite recharge cycles so at some point (after several years, in my case) the batteries won't be fully charged, which of course affects everything.  Hit the local Radio Shack for replacements, install the batteries, leave the mic plugged in to a phantom power source overnight (with the power switch OFF) and you'll be good to go.

It's possible, then, that the batteries in the mic you demoed were either on their last legs or not fully charged to start with.  I recall that the data sheet for the mics said to charge them before initial use, and your demo mics might not have been charged.

-a

PS: my E-100s are the original, with the goofy mic-stand attachment, not the new spider shock-mount thing.
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

grantis

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 05:35:27 PM »

Quote:

It's possible, then, that the batteries in the mic you demoed were either on their last legs or not fully charged to start with. I recall that the data sheet for the mics said to charge them before initial use, and your demo mics might not have been charged.

Yup they are dead as a doornail.....they don't even make the meter move on the battery tester.....charging as we speak......hope that helps.  thanks a lot!
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Iain Graham

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »

rtfm?  Razz  Laughing
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

Hallams

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 10:37:18 PM »

Another thing i found about the E-200 is they have a narrow sweet spot so if the singer likes moving around a bit, it can be a problem. Of course someone could come up with a nifty chineese manufactured extention to the boom stand that would clamp the singers head in a nice focused position....
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Iain Graham

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 12:26:54 AM »

I've often thought of creating such a device, but more for inexperienced singers who won't stay on axis while I'm trying to mix wedges for them.

They then comlain when it either isn't loud enough or feeding back.

I've wondered about some piano or cheese wire attached to it and looped around their bollocks. i t should certanly be an attachment you can add for repeat offenders.  Laughing
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.