R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 703FSK... quick question.  (Read 2410 times)

tom eaton

703FSK... quick question.
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:48:07 PM »

Due to some kind of confusion my 10 packages of 2.5" 703 showed up as FSK instead of unfaced.  I didn't discover this until they were inside and the truck was long gone.

I figure the FSK is only in play over a certain frequency, anyone have a figure?  I also figure that if I bury the two FSK faces in the middle of a 5" sandwich it will really have no impact on the absorption at all.  Yes?

I wonder if my rear wall bass traps could have the FSK face out to keep a little top end coming back from behind.

Any thoughts or corrections to my logic?

Thanks!

tom

jimmyjazz

Re: 703FSK... quick question.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »

I wouldn't bury both layers of facing in the middle of the sandwich.  I'd stack the 703 so they're both facing "the same way".  At least then you'll only have one layer of facing 2.5" into the stack, and the second layer will be on (or towards) the wall.

I would guess that the facing wouldn't affect the highs & some of the mids 2.5" from the surface.  Most of that sound will have already been attenuated.  Furthermore, it should be fairly transparent to lower frequencies.  All you can do is give it a try, but I think you'll be OK.

Did you order the wrong thing or did they ship the wrong thing?

Ethan Winer

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »

Tom,

The FSK (or FRK) facing increases absorption at bass frequencies. This is a Good Thing. So if any of those panels are destined for corner bass traps, leave the FSK on, facing the room, and peel off any other FSK if you're stacking several panels adjacent to make one thicker panel. For places where you need full-range absorption, just peel it off on those too. Or place the panel with the FSK against the wall.

--Ethan

tom eaton

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 11:09

Did you order the wrong thing or did they ship the wrong thing?

They shipped the wrong thing.  Thanks for the advice, guys.  Looks like it may have been a happy accident!

Ethan, I'll be making bass traps in all four vertical corners, I'll see whether I like the sound of the facing in the front of the room, but I'll use it FSK side out for sure n the rear.  Thanks again.

-tom

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 18:03

I'll see whether I like the sound of the facing in the front of the room, but I'll use it FSK side out for sure n the rear.

Traps in the front corners of a room are not in the direct path of sound, so the presence of a reflecting face should not be a problem. Also, for traps behind you, I recommend not using a facing if they're flat on the wall and closer than about ten feet. When a reflecting surface is less than ten feet behind you, those reflections are considered "early" so the absorption needs to be effective at mid and high frequencies too.

--Ethan

tom eaton

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »

Control room is 15x20x10'6".  Front face of rear traps will be 15 feet from closest monitor.  Shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I'll see what sounds best.

Thanks again-

tom

franman

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »

I'll chime in late:

we always use unfaced insulation to avoid any confusion at installation.. It is a simple matter to peal the facing off of the rigid insulation if you get the faced stuff... no big deal.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 16 queries.