R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 trash thread  (Read 19183 times)

bblackwood

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2007, 04:18:08 PM »

Vlad, you have a PM.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2007, 04:29:56 PM »

pg666 wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 15:06

grant richard wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 20:06

Quote:

so much for the self-restraint. that lasted for like.. a day.

i look forward to J. banning this dude.

please no personal attacks or sarcasm.  

arguing is fine by me......but this had no point

the guy didn't hesitate insulting my own music (out of nowhere) in another thread.

HAHAHAHA:) what was your music? i just did't know you personally. I didn't insult last IMP music and guess why? Because it was well recorded an well arranged:) At least each player knew which Function it is doing in mix, Not just "i want to play this note here" oh "maybe this note" don't really care which:)
I didn't insult anybody volanturely providing music for imps. All respect for those guys offering a music. Please dont try to BAN somebody just because of negative oppinion on your music. I hope i could provide you constructive feedback if you will tell me which imp you reffer? If don't need it. Then try not to get pissed off becausde of my opinion. Anyway you are the guy who could decide how he could improve it's music or no improvement needed.

Gabriel F

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »

Vlad why do you think this is a bad arrangement? because you cannot compare it to anothers songs, because it doesnt sound like avril lavigne?. i believe every note and instrument is doing a function. They dont do the usual top 40 thing but they serve a purpose.

And Vlad please read the rules carefully. You can rearrange the song you can cut and chop sounds and totally twist the songs but you cannot ADD new played parts.
I mean you can change the tempo if you want, the structure, the vocal harmonies, but you cannot record a new vocal take or guitar or whatever.
And this forum is about indie rock, not top 40 teen pop.

I am having a hard time deciding with direction should i take for this mix but i believe thats exactly the point of this imp. I am tring to go for a vibe kinda like Joy divison song "Transmission" but the cover made by Low. Trying really hard to create that ethereal sound mixed with an exploding led zeps drum sound.  

chrisj

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2007, 10:37:15 PM »

Hey, I liked the song! This is the most psychedelic one yet. Dibs on most Sixties-sounding mix. I'm aiming to piss off at least 50% of listeners, confuse another 49% and have the remaining guy worship me as a mixing god Smile

Of course, if we don't have 100 people in this IMP I'm out of luck... Wink

HEAVY USE of the auratone-stylee this time. If there's one thing I've learned in IMPs (and forgotten, repeatedly) it's that I can't mix on mastering speakers.

CHANCE

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2007, 10:53:07 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 11:11

If there are so many skilled arrangers there.
WHYYYY Couldn't you please give me an arranging advices/feedback/opinions in Another thread? After all submisiions are locked in IMP thread.
Does any single post in this forum is about mixing? I don't think so. Anyway as i told mixing is quite interrelated to arranging. If you read any single book on mixing, then evey book contains chapter about arrangin. "Mixing Engeneer Handbook" contains chapter about arrangement. "Mixing and mastering with Waves" Contains Ararngement decision list for all tracks and all songs are produced by the same person who mixed it:) so this is usual case.

WOW I HAVE to interject something here. Those of us who own and run busy studios only WISH every project was to our liking. What seperates the men from the boys is when you get a project that is not to your liking, record it the way a client wants it recorded, then MIX (not rearrange) that project with all of the creative juices you can muster, and make a masterpiece of it. When you can do that, you will have another returning client. As engineers, it is not our job to rearrange. It is to reproduce.
This project is a real chalange, as I personally don't care for the project. BUT I also love a challenge and if time permits, I will enjoy giving it a go.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

J-Texas

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2007, 11:24:12 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 21:53

WOW I HAVE to interject something here. Those of us who own and run busy studios only WISH every project was to our liking. What seperates the men from the boys is when you get a project that is not to your liking, record it the way a client wants it recorded, then MIX (not rearrange) that project with all of the creative juices you can muster, and make a masterpiece of it. When you can do that, you will have another returning client. As engineers, it is not our job to rearrange. It is to reproduce.

Yeah. That's what I meant to say.  Very Happy

Not to change the subject or anything (as much as I like slinging poop), but I like keeping the drums hard left and right. Well, in my case, right and left.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

iCombs

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2007, 01:57:57 AM »

Wow.  I miss this thread for a couple days and it went CRAZY!  Yeesh.  No mixes are even IN yet!!!  

I, personally, kinda dig the song.  I did a couple things with sample replacement.  I cut some parts that I thought were unnecessary.  I think that with the minimal amount of both elements in the song and control vis a vis individual tracks, it's a real challenge to make it all work together in a way other than just pushing the faders up.  This song needs more than that.  IMO.  Someone else might diagree.  And I'll be interested to hear their mix.  Because it might illuminate something that I'll apply to my next mix.  

The signal to noise ratio in this thread has gone completely to shit.  Let's keep our sticks on the ice and get back to the task at hand...making mixes and talking about them.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

scottoliphant

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2007, 10:43:36 AM »

Quote:

As engineers, it is not our job to rearrange. It is to reproduce.
i personally only monitor off the rearrange head.

CHANCE

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2007, 10:57:02 AM »

scottoliphant wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 07:43

Quote:

As engineers, it is not our job to rearrange. It is to reproduce.
i personally only monitor off the rearrange head.

LOL
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

j.hall

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »

thanks brad for keeping an eye on this.  i was "away from my desk" for a day or two and all hell broke loose.

i'm taking the good advice on ditching this thread and starting a new discusion  thread....whoever said that, thanks, my mind was swimming with the insane things being said.

pg666 is perfectly fine in his posts, he's been on these forums a LONG TIME and knows his way around.

oddly enough, i think some good has come of all this.

there is little point in addressing the vast majority of comments by vlad and others, i would like to just mention this strctly from the stand point of "validity".  

Quote:

vlad wrote

What can you do with 12 tracks all full of saturation? Drums recorded on 2 tracks. Such song can be mixed in 10 minutes.

Elivs and James Brown (to mention only two) seemed to do just fine gong live to MONO!!!!!!!!

the beatles didn't seem to do too badly with mono drums, nor did Motown records.  led zep didn't seem to suffer too greatly from only three drum tracks on certain records

and i'm sure many artists would have killed for 12 tracks.

what is wrong with doing a mix in 10 minutes?  

el duderino

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 10:57

nothing.

as long as you arent billing by the hour! Razz

Fibes

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

el duderino wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 11:25

j.hall wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 10:57

nothing.

as long as you arent billing by the hour! Razz

Exactly.

I took two hours to do my mix and IMP 12 will be billed accordingly.

I'm glad i got a chance to take part this time thanks to a bit of a lull in the biz due to postponements and much needed rain therefore no boat time...

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

M Carter

Re: IMP12 trash thread
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »

what took longest for me was getting the M/S pair right on the clog solo.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 09:57

pg666 is perfectly fine in his posts, he's been on these forums a LONG TIME and knows his way around.

JHall i'm just curious which age are you?
Im't not any asslicker and i realy DONT CARE ABOUT MY WAY AROUND here...
Just leave with this knowlege:)))))))

CHANCE

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 09:39

j.hall wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 09:57

JHall i'm just curious which age are you?
Im't not any asslicker and i realy DONT CARE ABOUT MY WAY AROUND here...
Just leave with this knowlege:)))))))

?
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.