R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 trash thread  (Read 19150 times)

Vladislavs Korehovs

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2007, 02:52:16 AM »

j.hall wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 21:01

if you overdubed anything it's out.

Oh jes i overdubbed drums (originally recorded on 2 tracks)...
I added parts and sampled existing Base, Guitar and Vox tracks.

As music market is using such approaches i don't see any reason for restricting people  be creative?

After i already spent time on this, i'm very pissed off.

Am i allowed to start separate discussion topic for my submission, if i cannot upload it to IMP server?

grantis

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2007, 04:09:47 AM »

Quote:

As music market is using such approaches i don't see any reason for restricting people be creative?

Am i allowed to start separate discussion topic for my submission, if i cannot upload it to IMP server?

NOOOOOOOOO

Did you not just read J's post about the RULES???  They are meant to be followed.  Don't get all 'pissed off' because you spent time breaking the rules.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2007, 04:20:26 AM »

grant richard wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 03:09

Quote:

As music market is using such approaches i don't see any reason for restricting people be creative?

NOOOOOOOOO

Did you not just read J's post about the RULES???  They are meant to be followed.  Don't get all 'pissed off' because you spent time breaking the rules.

Oh yes i understand, i ment to be following rules, but i was taken away by song creativeness and possibilities what it gave me and i forgot to follow no re-record rule:( Does everybody think i shouldn't share result, or this is just a single oppinion?

grantis

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2007, 04:48:58 AM »

the objective is to make a great mix WITHOUT overdubbing anything.  if you want to spread your creative musical wings, you're in the wrong forum.

don't get me wrong, i WANT to hear your mix, just WITHOUT the overdubs.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2007, 05:29:46 AM »

grant richard wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 03:48

the objective is to make a great mix WITHOUT overdubbing anything.  if you want to spread your creative musical wings, you're in the wrong forum.

Thank you Mr. Richard i just want to hear another oppinions.
And my question was also about separate thread for this, i supose i can do so?

Greg Dixon

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 19:29

Another opinion?

I agree completely. Follow the rules or don't post. It's quite simple, but you seem to have trouble understanding it, just like you don't stick to the deadlines.

But you know what? Ultimately it doesn't matter what I think. Why? Because it's not my forum. j.hall's forum. j.hall's rules. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Very simple.

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 06:57

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 19:29

Another opinion?

I agree completely. Follow the rules or don't post. It's quite simple, but you seem to have trouble understanding it, just like you don't stick to the deadlines.

But you know what? Ultimately it doesn't matter what I think. Why? Because it's not my forum. j.hall's forum. j.hall's rules. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Very simple.

Oh, then i wont post. I hoped what we could come to some reasonable compromise here with some nice guys we have here:)

darkhorseporter

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2007, 09:04:44 AM »

Also, I was feeling creative. I wrote and recorded a song, called it IMP 12 and would like to submit for everyone's review.  I didn't learn much about mixing, but hey, thats not MY priority...

[/sarcasm]

ps.  I think you're doing a great thing here, J.

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

[quote title=darkhorseporter wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 08:04]Also, I was feeling creative. I wrote and recorded a song, called it IMP 12 and would like to submit for everyone's review.  I didn't learn much about mixing, but hey, thats not MY priority...

[/sarcasm]

Unfortunately i learned much about mixing, and i have also learned what you cannot make good mix out of crap song without re-recording. So called rule: "Garbage in garbage out"

Tom C

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 16:26

Unfortunately i learned much about mixing, and i have also learned what you cannot make good mix out of crap song without re-recording. So called rule: "Garbage in garbage out"

If that'd be true artists wouldn't need a mixer at all.
Our job IS to get something better out of the recording, no matter
how good it was to start with.

And, after listening to the song for the very first time right now
I definitely DON'T think it's garbage.

Unusual style: yes.
Unusual arrangement: yes
Something you can learn a lot from mixing it: you bet!

If I was an artist with an unmixed  record and had read what
you've written about that song so far I'd go somewhere else to
mix it.
End of customer relationship.

Tom
Tom

.signature failure

Fibes

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »

Quote:

I can't wait to mix your stuff and give my unbridled opinion.

That's if you actually do anything other than whine.

As most of you have learned, being a successful mixer has a lot to do with mixing skills but it has a lot more to do with people skills.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »

Tom C wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 09:52

If that'd be true artists wouldn't need a mixer at all.
Our job IS to get something better out of the recording, no matter
how good it was to start with.

And, after listening to the song for the very first time right now
I definitely DON'T think it's garbage.

Unusual style: yes.
Unusual arrangement: yes
Something you can learn a lot from mixing it: you bet!

If I was an artist with an unmixed  record and had read what
you've written about that song so far I'd go somewhere else to
mix it.
End of customer relationship.

Tom

For 17 yold bands this is true.
Mixing/Producing serious stuff don't work like this!
It is iterative process. And in our century of technoilogy many "tiny" and not so tiny arrangement elements are coupled with technology, so who could create this? well probably: mixer.
So every mixer should have arrangement skills, not only dragging faders. Anyway being able to rearrange song brings much more possibilities for perfect mix. I just don't know how better spell my valid oppinion on this to circumvent language barrier.

malice

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »

[quote title=Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 16:26]
darkhorseporter wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 08:04

Also, I was feeling creative. I wrote and recorded a song, called it IMP 12 and would like to submit for everyone's review.  I didn't learn much about mixing, but hey, thats not MY priority...

[/sarcasm]

Have you ever learned to read a contract before starting a "mixing gig".

This one seemed pretty clear about the rules.

Do you often whine in front of the artist about how crappy the song you had to mix was after being done mixing it ?

Because if you do that, I really doubt you have been very far in the learning process.

lol

malice

J-Texas

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »

This is crazy fellas!

This is turning into a pissing match. How can you say, Vlad, that you understand the rules and then in the next sentence still say that you want to do it your way? How is that working for you man? How is this a mirror to your life? You would rather be right than professional and piss everyone off in your way? Do you have many return clients? Maybe they think that you're always right too... I don't know. This is not a slam, just something to think about. If your way is the best, then there really is no need for the rest of us. You can be the only producer/engineer/artist in the world. There would be no need for other's interpretation and we'll all just buy your records and like it. What do you think?

Pretty crazy, huh? Man lighten up. Follow the rules. Do something outside of your comfort zone. Are you afraid put yourself out there, naked, with no "bells and whistles"? To make a mix sound as good as you can with what you got? Because that takes talent. Do you have the sand?

Read my signature and find out what that means to you.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »

[quote title=malice wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 10:39]

darkhorseporter wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 08:04

[/sarcasm]

Have you ever learned to read a contract before starting a "mixing gig".

This one seemed pretty clear about the rules.

Do you often whine in front of the artist about how crappy the song you had to mix was after being done mixing it ?

Because if you do that, I really doubt you have been very far in the learning process.

lol

malice

Anothere nice guy:) Yea i usually re-record as many times as necesary and use samples/autotune if band cannot perform something. I usually suggest/influence arrangment and look for reaction: 80% of time those are very welkomed. I'm usually asked to add some FX like things. Almost always many things are decided at mixing stage. If something don't work i suggest phrases or rytmical structures wich will work. Keyboards are usually added during mixing also...

>Do you often whine in front of the artist about how crappy the >song you had to mix was after being done mixing it ?
Yes i point out week places before somebody else could point them. I also propose long term work for record and record project on DVD. Many bands appreciate long term work for ability improve themselves.
And unfortunately as i see here nobody want to learn arrangement and have broader pewrpective, perople just stick with faders which is big mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.