R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 trash thread  (Read 19134 times)

CHANCE

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »

garret wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 19:33

CHANCE wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 22:03

Fibes wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 18:52

I use "Unrar"

Dunno if it's PC.

Unrar X (mac) for a google search and yer golden.

Thats what I have ( UnRarX )  for MAC

Chance, can you explain what happens when you try to open up the RAR file?  Maybe we can help...

One thing to check is the file size of the IMP12 download.  Get Info on the file, and see if it is something like 211,427KB.  (that's about 210 Mb)

When I select "extract" (password, test, browse, extract) I get a message saying "please select a file to extract" but the file I want to extract is there, but it is greyed out, and can't be selected.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

garret

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 10:58

When I select "extract" (password, test, browse, extract) I get a message saying "please select a file to extract" but the file I want to extract is there, but it is greyed out, and can't be selected.

Hmm... sounds to me like the RAR file is corrupt or incomplete, or maybe it doesn't have the right extension (RAR is originally a unix/pc utility so the extension might matter).  Can you check the file properties and see if everything looks right?

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

J-Texas

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »

Sidechain - Roll up a newspaper and swat those vox on the nose.

This is my first time to do this. Incredible. How fun is this? I was so stoked that I downloaded it and finished it last night.

Just a word to the wise and my 2 cents:

Don't EVER badmouth a client... you won't be working very long. Do the best you can with what you have. The artist has put a lot into his work, make it sound better than he imagined it... always. You can lend suggestions if you think it's essential, but don't re-write a song... it's art (you don't have to like it). For God's sake, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. That means: This is a great tool for everyone... don't spoil it and keep your negative opinions in your pocket.

This is the coolest thing that I've ever stumbled upon. I can't wait to hear the mixes!

ps. The male vox ARE pushed a little hard in a few places... who cares?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007

Do the best you can with what you have. The artist has put a lot into his work, make it sound better than he imagined it... always. You can lend suggestions if you think it's essential, but don't re-write a song... it's art (you don't have to like it). For God's sake, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. That means: This is a great tool for everyone... don't spoil it and keep your negative opinions in your pocket.

I agree with a statement what client should not be criticised on most cases. Usually client won't understand what you want to do.
However if you are doing music for AD or Movie it is completely different sittuation and creative input is always welcomed. It is a personal preference/ability to arrange or not arrange song during mixing.

>"but don't re-write a song" unfortunately i have already rewrote it:)

J-Texas

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 2:24

Usually client won't understand what you want to do.

You can only make a product "your vision" and give your input if you are asked to. Otherwise, make a suggestion. If the client is not very responsive... then the client is always right.

It's better to make someone happy with what you think is just mediocre than to piss them off by forcing your interpretation on them. Anything can be done a million ways. Your "cool" may not be somebody else's cup of tea.

Quote:

However if you are doing music for AD or Movie it is completely different sittuation and creative input is always welcomed. It is a personal preference/ability to arrange or not arrange song during mixing.

Like I said... if you are asked to.

Quote:

but don't re-write a song" unfortunately i have already rewrote it:)

Hey... those are the rules. I can't wait to hear your interpretation.  Smile

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 13:10

Hey... those are the rules. I can't wait to hear your interpretation.  Smile

I also would like to hear oppinions if J will allow me to upload it:( ?

There are still some guitars and vocals left from original track:)

J-Texas

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2007, 02:40:17 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 13:27

Oops! I spoke too soon.  Shocked

I'm only a first-timer here, but I thought you were just re-arranging, not re-recording... I didn't read that in the rules!  Confused

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

CHANCE

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2007, 02:44:33 PM »

I just thought of something. Why don't I get asked for user name and password?
What I have been doing is dragging the "RAR" file to the desk top, and using UnRarX (for MAC) attempting to open. There is obviously something I am missing here and hope someone can open my eyes.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Devin Knutson

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2007, 02:47:42 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 09:43

Sidechain - Roll up a newspaper and swat those vox on the nose.

Heh.  I tried that first.  They peed on the floor and ate my shoes.  With these particular specimens, I found that positive reinforcement and a nice massage worked much better.  Smile
SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

J-Texas

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2007, 02:51:01 PM »

sidechain wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 13:47

Heh.  I tried that first.  They peed on the floor and ate my shoes.  With these particular specimens, I found that positive reinforcement and a nice massage worked much better.  Smile

10-4!! LOL  Laughing
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

NelsonL

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2007, 03:44:59 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 11:44

What I have been doing is dragging the "RAR" file to the desk top, and using UnRarX (for MAC) attempting to open. There is obviously something I am missing here and hope someone can open my eyes.

Hey Chance,

I'm gonna lay down all the help I can think of, hope I don't sound like a condescending A-hole, but I've been helping some very green folks learn OSX lately, so I try to be thorough.

When you get to the IMP server (link and password in the "IMP what it is thread,") hold down ctrl while you click on the IMP 12 link and then select "download linked file."

The file should take a bit to download (if drag and drop is near instantaneous then that's a bad sign) and when it does you may have to remove an erroneous .txt file extension before you can uncompress the files-- at least I have to do that, not sure why the added extension shows up.

In case that's unclear, I'm just saying to rename the file IMP12.rar, not IMP12.rar.txt --if that's what you wind up with.

To do this, you may have to go into the Finder prefs to show file extensions-- click anywhere on your desktop, then pull down Finder menu, then select preferences, click advanced, and then make sure "show all file extensions" is checked.

I happened to DL this one on my Dell this time and didn't have to do any of that stuff, on my iBook I always have to rename the file. I'm sure this can be fixed, but I really haven't looked into it, I don't rar much.

Hope that helps,

Liam

Devin Knutson

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2007, 04:00:30 PM »

Yeah, not being a mac guy myself, it still sounds to me like you are saving the shortcut and not the target itself.  You want to make sure that you are downloading "target" or "linked file" or whatever it is, and as noted, the resulting rar file on your system should be something around 210 megs.

HTH!

- Devin
SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

j.hall

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 13:27

if you overdubed anything it's out.  this is plainly spelled out in the rules thread, and keeps coming up, from you if i remember correctly.

NO ADDING PARTS.  samples are fine, you picking up a guitar and recording new parts IS NOT!!!!!!!

i don't know how to make this any more clear.

editing the song for arrangement or tempos or whatever, is totally fine.  not using tracks you think aren't necessary, is fine too.

adding tracks.......NOT FINE.

next topic:

are you guys so hung up on the technical aspects of the individual tracks that you can't just mix a song?

seriously, lets get past the vocal distortion already.  your job as a mixer is to shut your yap and make a KILLER mix.

i thought by now i've gotten this point across.

i can't tell you how many times i've had to "settle" (resolve myself to) changing great sounding guitar tracks to match a horrible sounding drum kit.  the mix HAS to work no matter what.

if you can't get past the technical aspects of engineering and rely more heavily on your artistic instincts you simply aren't cut out for mixing.  tracking is probably you calling.........

i appreciate those who appreciate the IMP experience.  this is a learning thing, period.

i don't just shut my eyes and pick a song and hope some one learns somethig from it.

the songs are hand picked, they are diverse and they are generally more challenging then meets the eye.

i'm not pulling the plug on IMP, i believe in it and there is clear evidence to show it's working.

pull the plug on the complaining!

CHANCE

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 12:44

CHANCE wrote on Sat, 02 June 2007 11:44

Hey Chance,

I'm gonna lay down all the help I can think of, hope I don't sound like a condescending A-hole, but I've been helping some very green folks learn OSX lately, so I try to be thorough.

When you get to the IMP server (link and password in the "IMP what it is thread,") hold down ctrl while you click on the IMP 12 link and then select "download linked file."

The file should take a bit to download (if drag and drop is near instantaneous then that's a bad sign) and when it does you may have to remove an erroneous .txt file extension before you can uncompress the files-- at least I have to do that, not sure why the added extension shows up.

In case that's unclear, I'm just saying to rename the file IMP12.rar, not IMP12.rar.txt --if that's what you wind up with.

To do this, you may have to go into the Finder prefs to show file extensions-- click anywhere on your desktop, then pull down Finder menu, then select preferences, click advanced, and then make sure "show all file extensions" is checked.

I happened to DL this one on my Dell this time and didn't have to do any of that stuff, on my iBook I always have to rename the file. I'm sure this can be fixed, but I really haven't looked into it, I don't rar much.

Hope that helps,

Liam

Thanks. That seemed to work. I got 12 tracks
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

J-Texas

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2007, 10:49:32 PM »

J.

In the coolest way possible... kinda like Wooderson on Dazed and Confused, I say: "Man, I like your style."  Cool

by the way... you know the cool thing about high school girls? I keep getting older and they stay the same age!

This is not a suck-up... I just like no-bullshit people.

Sorry dudes. I HAD to make Wooderson my avatar after that one. Nothing ever fit until now.

Oh yeah. Party at the Moon Tower... spread the word! And if anyone's going with me to score those Aerosmith tickets, you better get your ass in gear.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.