R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP12 trash thread  (Read 19132 times)

Vladislavs Korehovs

Re: IMP12 discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 11:53

Pretty crazy, huh? Man lighten up. Follow the rules. Do something outside of your comfort zone. Are you afraid put yourself out there, naked, with no "bells and whistles"? To make a mix sound as good as you can with what you got? Because that takes talent. Do you have the sand?
Read my signature and find out what that means to you.

What can you do with 12 tracks all full of saturation? Drums recorded on 2 tracks. Such song can be mixed in 10 minutes. i did one such song in previous imps. I don't see any point do another as there will be NO learning at ALL. And all goodnes of IMPs is very questionable because nobody provide track by track results, nobody shares their DAW projects, and most of time people don't provide exact settings for doing something. I asked about guitar processing from Jhall, and what i was told i just: "I used Blababa" for reamping and nothing more. I see what this thing is turning into crap with no feedback mechanism at all. All i see is thanksgiving and niceness, with no saturation...

malice

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 19:02

And unfortunately as i see here nobody want to learn arrangement and have broader pewrpective, perople just stick with faders which is big mistake.

Wich is unfortunatly not my case. I'm a producer/mixer and musician, and I have arranged a lot of albums, and that includes Strings, reeds and horns for +20 musicians orchestras.

But if I'm hired to mix, I either accept the gig or refuse if I don't feel like I can do my job in order to meet the artist and the producer expectations.

What I DON'T do is to replace tracks without being asked and, furthermore, when I was asked NOT to, and then publicaly come and say out loud that the music was too crappy to be  just mixed[/I.

You might think we are not nice guys or that we lack vision, but I doubt anyone here does not see your posts as bad form.

Production is one field, mixing is another. This was about mixing.

What was so hard to comprehend ?

malice

Tom C

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2007, 01:42:06 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 19:12

I don't see any point do another as there will be NO learning at ALL.

Maybe I'm just another strange guy but I've learned something from every single
mix I've done in my life.

Quote:

And all goodnes of IMPs is very questionable because nobody provide track by track results, nobody shares their DAW projects, and most of time people don't provide exact settings for doing something.

I think you've completely missed the purpose of IMP.
What good would it be if I'd give you the exact settings?
They only work in the context of MY mix, which is done with MY
vision which is mostly a result of MY taste.

Try to learn how and why a certain sound was created by your ears,
not by looking at some settings which you most probably couldn't
use anyway because you're using different software/hardware.

Tom
Tom

.signature failure

Tom C

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 19:02

And unfortunately as i see here nobody want to learn arrangement and have broader pewrpective, perople just stick with faders which is big mistake.

Mixing is mixing and arranging is arranging. It's that simple.

I've done WAY more arranging than mixing in my life.
But doing classical arrangments/film music doesn't mean that I'm
half as good in mixing.
And that's why I (and others) are here.

Tom
Tom

.signature failure

pg666

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »

Quote:

Unfortunately i learned much about mixing, and i have also learned what you cannot make good mix out of crap song without re-recording. So called rule: "Garbage in garbage out"

so much for the self-restraint. that lasted for like.. a day.

i look forward to J. banning this dude.

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »

If there are so many skilled arrangers there.
WHYYYY Couldn't you please give me an arranging advices/feedback/opinions in Another thread? After all submisiions are locked in IMP thread.
Does any single post in this forum is about mixing? I don't think so. Anyway as i told mixing is quite interrelated to arranging. If you read any single book on mixing, then evey book contains chapter about arrangin. "Mixing Engeneer Handbook" contains chapter about arrangement. "Mixing and mastering with Waves" Contains Ararngement decision list for all tracks and all songs are produced by the same person who mixed it:) so this is usual case.

NelsonL

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 07:26

Unfortunately i learned much about mixing, and i have also learned what you cannot make good mix out of crap song without re-recording. So called rule: "Garbage in garbage out"

A rule that more aptly describes your contribution to this forum.

Devin Knutson

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2007, 02:51:09 PM »

SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

Devin Knutson

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »

Hey J,

Just a thought:  Would it be a good idea to un-sticky this thread and start over for the review thread on Wednesday?  Or was that the plan anyway?  Smile

- Devin
SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

grantis

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2007, 03:06:28 PM »

Quote:

please no personal attacks or sarcasm.  

arguing is fine by me......but this had no point
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

grantis

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2007, 03:09:09 PM »

Quote:

WHYYYY Couldn't you please give me an arranging advices/feedback/opinions in Another thread? After all submisiions are locked in IMP thread.
Does any single post in this forum is about mixing? I don't think so. Anyway as i told mixing is quite interrelated to arranging. If you read any single book on mixing, then evey book contains chapter about arrangin. "Mixing Engeneer Handbook" contains chapter about arrangement. "Mixing and mastering with Waves" Contains Ararngement decision list for all tracks and all songs are produced by the same person who mixed it:) so this is usual case.

VLAD

TRY TO HEAR ME

Nobody said you can't re-arrange a song.  That is part of the purpose of IMP.

EVERYBODY

Vlad is more than welcome to re-arrange a song, just like everybody else.

VLAD...AGAIN

My only problem with this is your use of overdubs.  That is what makes your mix useless to IMP.  Chop up the track all you want, but PLEASE don't overdub anything.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »

grant richard wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 14:09

Quote:

VLAD

TRY TO HEAR ME

Nobody said you can't re-arrange a song.  That is part of the purpose of IMP.

EVERYBODY

Vlad is more than welcome to re-arrange a song, just like everybody else.

VLAD...AGAIN

My only problem with this is your use of overdubs.  That is what makes your mix useless to IMP.  Chop up the track all you want, but PLEASE don't overdub anything.

I will do another version for IMP, and will submit arranged version after IMP is over for comparison, because i cannot throw away all my arranging ideas...
I just so like to hear Mixes of those ho are quite agressive now:)

Brian Lloyd

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2007, 04:00:34 PM »

Quote:

Yea i usually re-record as many times as necesary and use samples/autotune if band cannot perform something. I usually suggest/influence arrangment and look for reaction: 80% of time those are very welkomed. I'm usually asked to add some FX like things.

Vlad - And this is the reason i hate popular music so much. you are stuck on the mindset that EVERYTHING has to be perfect...and in time. where is the art in that? what happens when that artist has to perform live and it sounds totally different from the digi-perfect track you have helped today's society force-feed into the mainstream?

they didnt have DAW's, or fancy preamps or beat detection when groups like the beach boys or any mo-town artists made a record. it was all about performance and having passion in the music. it was THEIR music and THEIR dreams about how it sounded. it was not up to the engineer to make sure that EVERY note was perfect. It was the engineers job to capture the feeling and passion the best way possible and record it to whatever the media of choice might be.

If you want to make that your mixing style...GO MIX TEENIE BOP POP!
Reality.exe corrupt. Reboot Universe?  (Y/N)

J-Texas

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 14:21

I will do another version for IMP, and will submit arranged version after IMP is over for comparison, because i cannot throw away all my arranging ideas...
I just so like to hear Mixes of those ho are quite agressive now:)

Man... I am convinced that you have screw loose now. I tried to be as diplomatic as possible and give you the benefit of the doubt, but there are just some people in this world, well, not in touch with reality.

One of these things is going on:

-You really believe that you are more correct than the other members and the moderator of this forum.

-You are not expressing yourself in a way that others can comprehend.

-You are trying to irritate others on purpose.

None of which are really acceptable to me personally.

Your negativity has now infected me. I had an awesome entry into this forum and now it has turned south.

There are rules. NO... you can't start another thread and make everyone listen to your musical example of defiance and disrespect.

Very uncool Vlad.

Dude... something just came to mind. What if someone wanted to Autotune Dylan?

THINK!

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

pg666

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2007, 04:06:44 PM »

grant richard wrote on Sun, 03 June 2007 20:06

Quote:

please no personal attacks or sarcasm.  

arguing is fine by me......but this had no point

the guy didn't hesitate insulting my own music (out of nowhere) in another thread. i didn't really care, but he's done it quite a few times on this board; especially in the IMP threads, where people voluntarily submitted their tracks only for them to be repeatedly called "crap" by this guy.

now we have 3 or 4 pages in this thread with people trying to reason with him and it's going nowhere. it's pretty distracting to those who are using this project for its intended purposes. J's already given the guy fair warning to little avail, and i won't feel too bad for someone willfully ignoring the rules. it wasn't 'personal'.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.