R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.  (Read 2707 times)

hargerst

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.
« on: April 22, 2004, 02:12:54 PM »

It's about hype versus reality.  I see it all the time.  All the new tools that "let you record at home and get the SAME sound as a pro studio", the pods and other modelers that lets you get the SAME sound as the expensive amps, guitars, mics, speakers, etc.  Well, it's basically all bullshit.  Yes, they can do amazing things that may fool the average listener, but not the average musician.  

Part of the "magic" (and yes, it is kinda like magic) is the interaction between the instrument and the speaker, thru the air.  It's called "feedback and it happens even at lower levels than the feedback we call "sustain".  The feedback occur because the guitar start vibrating at higher levels, and the sound changes because of it.  Lose that and you lose some of the excitement.

We fall for the hype, and as a result, we lose a little bit of the music.  I recently walked into a pawnshop in Lewisville and found one of the old small Charvel amps I designed about 12 years ago.  I picked it up for $20.  Not much to look at: an 8" speaker, a gain control, a 3-way tone switch, and a master volume.  That's about it, but this thing SCREAMS when you mic it up and listen to the sound thru the big studio monitors.  It sounds like a wall of Marshalls!!

I've heard some of the new recording technology and it's the same hype.  Our new $99 mic sounds exactly like the old Neumann U47 (if you can find a U47, expect to pay anywhere from $7,500 to $15,000 for it), but this new 100 buck mic sounds "just like it" - more bullshit.  Our computer plug-in can duplicate the sound of tape saturation from the old great tape recorders - still more bullshit.  

Most of the major albums that you hear on the radio were recorded on 2" 24 track tape recorders  Why?  Because they sound better.  It's a lot closer these days and a lot of studios are going all digital, or at least partial digital,  but you lose a little bit of the music.

If you read any of the major slick recording magazines, you'll eventually begin to believe the hype.  You want a Hammond B3 sound?  Hit the hammond patch on your synth and away you go, right?  More bullshit.  Once you hear the sound of a real Hammond B3, you can't go back.  Not convinced?  Pull up a distorted guitar patch and try playing some Hendrix thru a synth.

There is a place for samples, loops and modelling in music, but remember, the music must come first - the rest of it is to enhance the music, make it better, not replace it.  Go to a club and listen to some kick-ass bands out there, busting their butts to put on a good show for you.  

That's what music is really all about.  Making you feel good, listening to it, and making them feel good, playiing it.  It all begins and ends with live music.  No hype, just real people, playing their hearts out on stage, for your pleasure.  We all need to get out more and see the source of recorded music from time to time.

It helps keep things in perspective.

Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Han S.

Re: What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 05:43:48 AM »

Harvey, I like your story. I too have a big old Hammond with a Leslie 122, a big board and two inch machines.
I read Klaus' post about the great mics and how he makes them sound even better.

But it kind of makes me sad to see what happens to music, I mean listen to the average recording these days. What's the use of making a 10k mic sound better.

I have this great sounding studio with wonderful sounding gear, but what am I doing? Editing a guy who can't sing and has no sense of rythm. And Nuendo is taking care of him.

I've worked my ass off for some 35 years for at least 25 employers untill I chose for the music, because I've got the music in me, the whole day and part of the night.
So in 1993 I quit my dayjob and got into music full time and it went very good. But the last couple of years the business kind of got into a slump http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_top ic&f=14&t=001616

I've made a decision, I will record only bands and orchestra's and I will stop this editing crappy musicians nonsense.

In the mean time, my 17 year old son doesn't know how to operate a record player. I see posts on the forums like: what is analogue? or: what is a cassette?

We're getting old Harv!

PinkStrat

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 07:22:19 PM »

That is a really good story Harvey! I'm sure there are a ton more stories you could enlighten us with? Razz

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 03:24:37 PM »

So much of the POP music that is made these days is a real drag for me. Some of the ideas are really good and the arranging is good. I just can't get with this seemingly uncontrollable "need" to edit the shit out of everything and replace all the damn drums with either a machine,or at a minimum, use sound replacer. There is the option of learning how to tune drums.There is also the option of learning how to play a take all the way through!! HELLOOO!!!!

I've been listening to a lot of old R&B, a live Tower of Power record and I've been listening to some new country also. As far as I'm concerned, country records are sounding better than rock or new R&B records. I no there is a lot of editing going on on these country records too but, from a musical standpoint, these new country records are really well played and mostly, very well recorded.The singers are better, the drummers are better,the guitar players are out standing and you don't have to be 20 years old to tour with these folks either. I'm just now discovering how good some of these records are and I am plain old impressed. It has something to do with it being believable. It sounds like a band. I can hear the players and it just seems more honest to me. The thing that got me was some of the live videos.These folks can really play and sing.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Trumpetman2

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 05:28:25 PM »

Very Happy HARVEY:  Right on..!!  This is why I am soon buying a Yamaha PM1000 board...they don't make em like that anymore...these new, small desks are not that great!  Also, after spending a few grand on various "new" and improved mics, I finally listened to you and got a Shure SM7 for trumpet...beats the bejeezus out of the others...and it only cost $300!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 16 queries.