R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Anatomy of a Session in May  (Read 726449 times)

compasspnt

Re: Anatomy of a Session in May
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »

When we didn't keep live guitars, which was honestly more often than not, the overdubbing began.

We are very, very fortunate this time to have the great Jimmy Herring on lead guitar.  Not that we were ever suffering for that instrument, or lacking anything!  Jimmy is just one of those rare players that can come along and make something appear in a higher plane that it might have a right to.

Jimmy has his own special setup for stage, and was concerned about getting it right in the studio.  His sound is so good, that I didn't see any need to change it.  So, as mentioned before in another thread, I used a pretty complicated (for me) setup and microphone technique for the actual lead guitar.

Here's a bit of what was written in that other thread:

"I had not one, but three amp/speaker sources, each with a different sound coming out (direct from a Super {AKG D1200E}, guitarist's special FX 100% wet delay from a second, 100% reverb from a third {stereo cardiod HM-1's in NOS config}).

This just happened to be one of the best players in the world, in total control of their instrument and sound.

I just happen to also have one of the best sounding rooms in the history of recorded music at my disposal, and that room was fully filled with wonderful guitar sounds mixing beautifully from the three sources, so I also wanted to capture that. I set up my special BovaLucasDiskHead

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:15 PM »

And here's a shot of the two FX cabs:

index.php/fa/5232/0/

The same Bova Ball Head setup as seen on the congas was moved to the very back of the room, in direct path of the sound from the amps.

The 251 in omni was behind them, in the live drum area (phase reversed).

But this was just for the "loud" leads.  And don't forget that the total of all the sounds coming out of the three sources was blending within the room by the time it all reached the Bovas and 251.

For Jimmy's rhythm track overdubs, we used just one Super with just one microphone.

EDIT:  Chris has emailed to remind me that I did for some of the rhythm tracks add a room mic for "bigness," which was either an NT-2000 in omni, or the 251 in omni, behind the amp, near the control room glass window.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »

JB re-did a lot of his guitars as well, playing in the control room.  One microphone on one speaker.

No EQ or compression or flash.

index.php/fa/5233/0/

compasspnt

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »

Vocals are yet to be done.  I am now in the middle of some post production, horn overdubs, orchestra, comping a few overdubs, etc.

When we do start the vocals, I will post some more pix of the vocal mics, although I can pretty much predict there will be a U-47 and an M-49 in our futures again.

On this project, for the first time, I set up some new Event SP8's along with the Genelec 1031's I've used for fifteen years now.  (These Genelecs are the original ones with the original amps.  Most of the newer Genelecs I've heard I didn't really like so much.)

I actually ended up just leaving it on the Events.  They, at least for tracking, allowed me to get more level and bass power than I usually get from the 1031's in a tracking situation.  They reminded me a bit of the older days when things were louder, and still not nearfield-creepy.

Now, for vocal OD's, and especially for mixing, I'm not so sure what I will use yet.

Here's a small view from the chair to close out this first installment:

index.php/fa/5234/0/

And a special thanks goes out to Eric Pretto for the great guitar teching, and to Chris Rabold (the band's venerable live sound recording and mix engineer) for a million things!  And to Osie as always, and especially to Sherrie for making the front office work so well while we "play" in the back.

Back to work...

phantom309

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 19:31

One of those boxes is not a mic pre...can you guess which one?

Good Billy, good Peggy!

Cranesong STC-8 Comp
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 09:01:27 PM »

phantom309 wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 20:58

Good Billy, good Peggy!

Cranesong STC-8 Comp

Good Davey!

Darn, and I thought I had disguised it so well!

phantom309

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 20:01

phantom309 wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 20:58

Good Billy, good Peggy!

Cranesong STC-8 Comp

Good Davey!

Darn, and I thought I had disguised it so well!

This is a great thread. Thanks!
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

rankus

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »

Also in that picture I see 6 "Bricks".  As an owner of a couple I am curious as to what you were running through these?

Love the picture of Spock.  True Galaxy Class setup!

Thanks for doing this Terry.  A real treasure.

PS: A year and half since the last album?! (Time has flown!)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »

Bricks.  Hmmm.  I thought they were disguised as well.  They are, after all, painted black.

The GT's are used for "extra things" during tracking.  I 'only' have 12 channels of API-centric preamps, so when we are tracking a whole band, I will run some things that I think might be overdubbed later through these.  Very often though, we either keep those things, or the sounds are working so well I just leave the chain for the overdubs.

In this case, the conga "close mic" (MD 402-U) went through one.  Jimmy and JB's live tracking guitars went through 2 of them.  And the B-3 organ (A-100 actually), which I totally forgot to write about, went through three of them.  (The organ itself was in the tracking room, but the Leslie 122 was placed down the hall in our TV room.)

The organ in particular worked spectacularly this way.  There were 2 K2's, one each on the opposite sides of the top of the Leslie, back about 6 inches with foam windscreens, and an RE-20 on the centre of the low front of the Leslie cab.  So Leslie East and Leslie West went full L-R, and the low mic centered, in the stereo track.

I also forgot the Wurlitzer electric piano, which went DI through a passive transformer box, to a Lucas 4 band valve EQ, brightened up a bit at 7k and 2k8,  with a little low mids at 350 rolled out, and a little 100 reduced, then to track.   The DI Wurli is to me the one thing we have on this session that just has to have some tone control. Of course, if I were amping and mic'ing it, I could/would do the EQ there. This was the only equalisation used, except for a tiny bit of 550b sporadically on an instrument or two. I can tell you right now there will be very little, if any, EQ added even in the mix as well.  To anything.

A split of the Wurli went to Jojo's two Line 6 effect pedals, where he has a lot of his special sounds dialed up.  That was tracked separately, and is usually split dry/efx hard L-R.

rankus

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 10:15:39 PM »

Thanks Terry.  I am now going to have to paint mine black too.. they look great. (thanks for the tips on Leslie mics and panning)

One more question if I may, then I'll shut up and let others have a shot:

I am curious as to setup time before you commence tracking.  You must spend a couple of days just working on micing and getting sounds?

One instrument at a time, then a run down or two with the whole band playing to check leakage etc.?

Cheers

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Unwinder

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 11:01:21 PM »

Wow... this is awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Terry. Much appreciation...

Darrick

Brian Gowing

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 12:04:42 AM »

Yes definitely Thanks Terry! What a great way to share the wealth of knowledge and experience to us neophyte-types!  Very Happy

Andy Simpson

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:33 AM »

I like the 2-mics on drums approach (although I prefer one)....

But, oh, ain't it hard to stick to....

---

....somewhere in the world, an band is in pre-production.....

Producer: "Yes, you only need one mic for the whole drumkit. This approach has more musical integrity, more depth and sounds more alive"

Band: "Really?! Even if the song is floor-tom-led?"

Producer: "....oh....it is?.....well, in theory....err.....um....shit....where did I put the box of mic stands....."

---

It takes a man with some serious balls (& serious mics) to follow it through without a safety net.
Also, it is sometimes uncomfortable & stressful for the client to be relied upon so much for their musical balance (in the same way that it can be to avoid compression).

Andy

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 04:37:30 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 25 May 2007 01:31

Does the STC-8 sound better with those vintage knobs? I've heard they can make it warmer!
Very Happy

Seriously though, I'm guessing you did that for easier recalls.

Thanks Terry, fantastic post. Keep it coming.

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

tom eaton

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 08:02:24 AM »

Recalls?  Hmmm.  See other thread.

Perhaps it's simply a tactile thing?

Or a Lucas version.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Up