R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: trident 80-5.1  (Read 9121 times)

andshesbuyingastairway

Re: trident 80-5.1
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »

i didn't

in any case that particular trace could have been done with a ruler like the others even if it was hand drawn, why didn't they?  was this PC board hand drawn?  

johnR

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »

andshesbuyingastairway wrote on Sat, 26 May 2007 22:03

i didn't

in any case that particular trace could have been done with a ruler like the others even if it was hand drawn, why didn't they?  was this PC board hand drawn?  

Has it occurred to you that the trace may meander slightly to avoid stray capacitive coupling with something on the other side of that  double sided board? Or maybe it was hand drawn (with pen or mouse, it doesn't matter) because that was the quickest way to get it at the right angle. Who knows, apart from the designer? I can assure you that perfectly straight lines on PCBs are not a prerequisite for good sound.

Now I'm going to go and swallow a bottle of whisky.

Dave Hecht

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »

andshesbuyingastairway wrote on Sat, 26 May 2007 13:28

that is a turret the only thing printed on that is the chandler logo

i still don't see how me asking questions about the topology of gear is me selling myself to audio myths

dave you're technically right but turret is plenty close enough and still allows for the same electrical nature

That is DEFINITELY NOT TURRET construction. It is DEFINITELY A PC BOARD.

Asking questions is not the issue. Constantly challenging the answers given by far more experienced people(and the way you challenge them)is. Your questions don't appear as an interest in learning about circuit topology, they come across as an obsession.

As for turret board construction, no it is not close enough to be considered point to point. Either it's point to point or it isn't. And what electrical nature do they share that can't be done on a pc board?

The key to good sounding, reliable gear is not point to point wiring. It's good design, good layout, high quality components and construction. The specific methods and components don't guarantee either good or bad gear.

Dave Hecht

J.J. Blair

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 06:06:36 PM »

Alex, are you related to Andy Simpson?  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 26 May 2007 23:06

Alex, are you related to Andy Simpson?  

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5133/omfg7794259yx.jpg

On a more serious note, someone should really clean up this place lately. This is not Gearslutz, and it will not become the same.

http://www.mninter.net/~richard/Please%20do%20not%20feed%20the%20trolls.jpg
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Dave Hecht

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »

[quote title=Tomas Danko wrote on Sat, 26 May 2007 15:10

On a more serious note, someone should really clean up this place lately. This is not Gearslutz, and it will not become the same.

Tomas,

Already being looked into.
Dave Hecht

andshesbuyingastairway

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 06:53:40 PM »

no it's alright i trust you and i'm sorry if it seems that i am questioning superiority i just want to find the truth, i was wrong if you say with a definitive answer that it's PC.

what about the ampex 350/351's or say the telefunken V72, were those turret (or true PTP even)?

and also when you mentioned the old LA-2A's what years are you referring to, basically before it was in the hands of urei?  the designs now use turret then?  

was the original TG double sided PCB and are you certain helios and mci were also PCB?  

if you guys can help clarify what is and what isn't marketing then by all means i'm listening, there are various things that even some pro audio people seem passionate about, the 1176 for example or a lot of vintage microphones.  

i believe one inescapable trait of PTP wiring via turret or true wiring is large capacitors, is that incorrect?  

Larrchild

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 07:13:56 PM »

It's not incorrect to not say that the size of the capacitors is relevant. What isn't the reason you get this?
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »

Alex, it doesn't fucking matter if it's PCB or not.  Neve 1073s are PCB, APIs are PCB.  Circuit boards are not inherently evil.  If they are made properly, they are just fine.  Just give it up already.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

andshesbuyingastairway

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »

when did i ever say they were?  it does matter though.  there is a difference.  i'm just asking what pieces of gear have what kind of foundational circuitry, no reason to get your panties in a wad

we all know the benefits of each type of circuitry there's no reason to take sides.  i'm simply investigating what is what.  once again i apologize to keith for jumping the gun on saying he was wrong.  i will not do this in the future when a definitive answer is provided.    

Dave Hecht

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2007, 09:39:12 PM »

andshesbuyingastairway wrote on Sat, 26 May 2007 18:19

when did i ever say they were?  it does matter though.  there is a difference.  i'm just asking what pieces of gear have what kind of foundational circuitry, no reason to get your panties in a wad

You've been told repeatedly that pc board vs point to point doesn't matter. Yet you want to continue going in circles about this. It's beyond the point of being ridiculous. If you want to find out what type on construction is used in a specific piece, internet search engines are a wonderful thing. As for this thread, it's pointless to keep it going any longer. I'm locking it.

Dave Hecht

bblackwood

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »

andshesbuyingastairway won't be posting on this forum for a while.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.