R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: define indie rock...  (Read 18614 times)

j.hall

Re: define indie rock...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 02:26:56 PM »

drew wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 13:07

cool. I did one of the ones on the list. do I get a cookie. Very Happy

which one did you do?

i'll decide how many cookies you get....hahahaha

drew

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 02:42:39 PM »

Jawbox-"For Your Own Special Sweetheart" recorded and mixed. Also some earlier singles and a few songs of the "self titled" album.
drew

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 02:51:42 PM »

well done!!  easily my favorite jawbox record!

drew

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 03:07:23 PM »

mine too!! thanks

grock5

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 17:53

now we have a bunch of un-informed kids buying over priced "vintage" clothes, and white belts, with bad haircuts, running "our scene".

Don't forget the Buckle Shoes! Losuy Pilgrims they are.

Quote:

i think indie rock can be really heavy (refused)
or really mellow (sparkelhorse, codeine)

At what point does "indie rock" become "punk"?

Quote:

but what indie rock is not, is an independent band seeking a major label contract.

Amen.
You're either making records for love, or making them for money.
You can't do both, unless you love money.
then your fucked.

If your making them for love, you can put them out yourself, or you can be a dildo and wait for a label.
Put in some work!
Jeez, there are so many lazy kids waiting for record contracts.

You have either independent bands, or hopeful- yet- unsigned major label bands.
Punk is not a purgatory between unsigned and signed.
Anything else is like saying your fasting inbetween your breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Quote:

many people in our industry use the term, "i work on indy records as well as major label", this is completely different from what most of here think of as indie rock.

I've talked with a few engineer's who were like this.
The "underground" is MTV2 to them.
They just don't get it.

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 05:42:54 PM »

Gary Longest wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 16:28

At what point does "indie rock" become "punk"?

that's a tough one for me.  punk is such a blurred line anymore.  i mean, good charolette?  gimme a break, dress em up for the "prom" and we call em punk.  after the epitaph thing exploded in the mid late 90's the majors did their thing and gobbled "punk rock" up and turned right into corporate sludge for mass marketing to all angst ridden teens on mother earth.

we once had minor threat, the sex pistols, etc.....

now we have blink 182, and good charolette

i think real punk morphed into indie rock and what remained is now pop.  i don't know man.

Quote:

I've talked with a few engineer's who were like this.
The "underground" is MTV2 to them.
They just don't get it.

i'm glad they don't get it, seriously.  one can't exist with out the other.  i get sick of indie rockers complaining that more people aren't into it.  WHY?????  diversity is the fabric of life man.  if every creed lover on the planet was a flag waving fugazi fan, what would be the point?

my favorite example of the dual meaining of indie rock is this:
i'm talking on the phone with a friend who works on major label records with a moderate amount of sucess.  he says, "man, why don't you just transition into major label work, just move to the coast, and start going for it, you're doing indie projects now."

i say, "man, i'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here, no offense, but i don't think you understand the world i circulate in"

"hey, i do indie records too"

i just said, "that's cool man, i'll think about it"

aeser

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 08:55:59 PM »

it's kind of ridiculous to think of grindcore or death metal as being in any way related to indie rock. i like all 3 but they're worlds apart, and far from in any way being subgenre's of eachother.

but again, semantics.

pipelineaudio

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 10:28:13 PM »

I say most death metal is indie rock

but then again I say Sloppy Seconds is indie rock

and now we have this new emo deathmetal that mostly has 80's gothic new wave type fans...like new romantic blink 182 thompson twins death metal. Im doing a bunch of these bands and I have no idea how to even describe the weirdness

aeser

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 10:36:46 PM »

i don't know, death metal and grindcore split off the family tree long ago and started sort of in parallel with what would come to be known as indie rock, not really having any traceable roots having anything to do with eachother since like the 70's, even then it's a leap. it's like calling hip hop indie rock, or new age or something.

pipelineaudio

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2004, 12:58:51 AM »

In the early 90's death metal, or whatever they wanted to call it was really the only place for hardcore punk lyrics, and a lot of the bands gravitated there. Funny thing tho, they never seem to come back

grock5

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2004, 04:12:44 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 17:42

we once had minor threat, the sex pistols, etc.....

now we have blink 182, and good charolette

Woah there.
Think about it, Blink 182 and Good Charlotte have NOTHING to do with the the former. Minor threat didn't have radio play. Dischord bands weren't selling out arena tours. Label-wise, They don't even compare...

To the pop world, Blink 182 seems interesting and original.
To me, Blink 182 is like an asshole with a time machine, going back in time and inventing air travel. They were bland before they went major.

WE don't have blink 182. THEY have Blink 182.

I can see the comparison for the Sex Pistols, and honestly, I don't consider them to be a punk band, atleast in my world. Sure, they influenced a lot it, but they never had a thing to do with a sustaining DIY scene. They were a rock 'n roll band. Hell, The Who was probably closer to a punk band than the pistols.

In my mind, Punk has to do with a certain spirit, a bit to do with sound (more aggresive than "indie rock"?), but most importantly, the two-way communiation process that comes with an independent music scene. Anything else is just wearing it's old clothes.  

Quote:

i think real punk morphed into indie rock and what remained is now pop.  i don't know man.

There are some damn fine punk bands around today. Tragedy, World Burns to Death, Damage Deposit, Decontrol, the list goes on ...And none of these are even remotely close to pop. Alot of them are even putting their records out themselves. And the scene is even bigger around the world.

You should definetley check some of these out. I dunno if you'd like them musically, but I think you would appreciate their honesty and execution.

- Gary

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2004, 04:33:30 PM »

my minor threat to blink 182 comparison was simply to compare what we called punk then, and what the kids call punk now.

that's all......i was saying, punk has become a mainstream term for a visual aesthetic more and semi fist, distorted guitar, whiny vocals type music.  which has little resemblance to real punk other then traces of similar (yet mostly wrong) fashion.

hell, i saw a avril lavigne on TRL when she broke.  she said something sort of un-PC and the idiot interviewing her says, "avril, you're so punk" (and to her credit) she replied "No man, i'm not punk at all!!!"

i'm not sure about death metal and grindcore.  although i remember the introduction of death metal in the early 90's.  now a days napalm death is thought of as an indie rock band in some circles.....hahahahaha

hardcore unquestionably grew from the punk and indie rock scenes
i remember when helmet was consider the most ground breaking hardcore band on the planet.  now every rap-metal band to come along rips off helmet so bad i think page hamilton to be sitting in a court room full time for the next ten years collecting millions in copyright infringement.

the basic idea here, is that underground rock music exists.  and it does so in great force, with huge numbers of people participating, and patronizing it.  "our" world has very little to do with the mainstream that exists right over our heads.  go read Jules' post about indie rock in the UK.  we're being watched, and we've been watched for years.  i really think in the next few years we're going to see indie rock be redefined as the majors desperately look for something sell-able to the masses.

nobby

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2004, 05:51:58 PM »

Consul wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 17:46

To me, indie music is a political definition rather than a genre definition. It means someone who plays music, any form of music, that are not tied and/or tied down to music publishing company.

Exactly. Like if you go to an indie film festival, they'll be showing comedy, tragedy, film noir, documentaries, whatever. The common thread is that they are produced independently of and not beholden to the big studios, and, presumably, on a limited budget.

One thing to consider is that if you scratch the surface (deeply enough) you will find that many of the so-called "indie" labels are owned by the majors.

BMG for example says they own more than 200 labels. They only list 9 on their website.
"Rock 'n' Roll, if it were a movie, would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

~ Slipperman

RIP Steve "Loudist" Gursky

Jules

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2004, 07:33:38 AM »

What chaps my ass is indie rock community convienly posturing that "making it "is a sell out..

Great ! - Put a ceiling on popularity - nail it RIGHT down why dont cha!

Art for the people?

Bull.....

It's art for the people that still have old sub pop t-shirts!

Fuck that.

Give me STARS!

Give me PERSONALITIES!

Give me a ZEITGIST!

Whats that spell?

Er.......?

Frustrated 70's guy 44 NS GSOH seeks social change movement  +quiet nights in +  occasional rioting in the streets.

Fletcher

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2004, 11:15:02 AM »

Punk Rock ended in 1980... right around the time when it became "cool" to wear CBGB's T-shirts... all that remains is Punque Rock which is a commercial product sold in stores rather than a unique lifestyle lived in small circles.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.