R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Volume wars chart  (Read 8744 times)

OTIOSE

Re: The Volume wars chart
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 01:24:46 pm »

I think there are no standards in art. The standards are applied by the viewer or listener, and so are subjective. Morality is a product of  a majority opinion in society. Is it a standard belief in society that this sounds bad? Or is it a standard in the mastering community alone? The general public seems to want it that way IMHO. You can educate people as much as you like, but its still up to them what they do with the info.

To let go of your opinion for someone else is truly selfless.

dcollins

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2004, 05:24:50 am »

Quote:

Sorry for whining...I'm just so fed up with this ongoing destruction of art.

Read u all with great admiration & enthusiasm

Stefan

That was a great post, very accurate.  

What's the point of using top studios, fancy mics, exotic instruments, just to ruin it through the $500/hr cheese grater, better known as  "A List" mastering?  

I don't get it.

Can't the client tell that it sounds worse than what you sent?  

Or is it level "uber alles?"  Perhaps the client thinks you have some magic inside knowledge about what radio wants?  Your local oldies station has the answer there, btw.... For free.

Any idiot knows that if you turned it down a little it would actually sound better...  So where are those idiots?

Tusen tack,

DC

lucey

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2004, 10:54:22 am »

OTIOSE wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 12:24

Morality is a product of  a majority opinion in society.

This opinion is truly frightening ...

so if you lived in the Sudan or with the Taliban terrorism would be moral?

If you grew up in a crack house, drugs and murder would be morally right, and the suits and cops would be the bad guys?

Quote:

The general public seems to want it that way IMHO. You can educate people as much as you like, but its still up to them what they do with the info.
Does the public have a will?  Or is it just following the trend set by a higher power ... in this case, commerce.  Specifically, A+R/biz execs with little understanding of musicality?

Are you familiar with the Lowest Common Denomonator theory of de-evolution ... where fear and greed take over and love and truth are lost?

Is this what we really want?

Quote:

To let go of your opinion for someone else is truly selfless.

Maybe so, maybe not.  It's selfless if our energy is ELEVATED by letting go.  Yet if it's lowered we're just selfish ... lazy or greedy in our sloth.  
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

brandondrury

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2004, 02:14:51 am »

Being 23 years old, I loved growing up to the 80's digital reverb generation.  Does it sound stupid?  Yes!  Does it add character and personality to the genre?  Yes!

I'm sure this same argument occured when guitar amps started to be overdriven.  The dinosaurs claimed how it was the downfall of music and began a crusade to stop the ignorant from taking the square wave journey to hell.  Then one day the guy from the Kinks shoved a pencil through a speaker.

I wonder if I can start a new trend where I just keep the thresold my Waves L-1 @ -25db.  It'll go on to be a new instrument and change music forever.

Half the music I record was killed the day it was written.  Power to the artist.  Just tell me what buttons to press!!  I'll use my charisma and charm to make you agree with my point if I'm afraid of hurting my reputation.

Brandon

Ronny

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2004, 05:02:31 pm »

brandondrury wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 02:14

Being 23 years old, I loved growing up to the 80's digital reverb generation.  Does it sound stupid?  Yes!  Does it add character and personality to the genre?  Yes!

I'm sure this same argument occured when guitar amps started to be overdriven.  The dinosaurs claimed how it was the downfall of music and began a crusade to stop the ignorant from taking the square wave journey to hell.  Then one day the guy from the Kinks shoved a pencil through a speaker.

Actually many guitarists thought that distortion was pretty cool, because it added sustain that wasn't possible before. There are many stories that are attributed to the first distorted guitar. I haven't heard the Kinks story, but it post dates guitar distortion by more than a decade. Some say it was Link Wray on a song called Rumble, others say that Hendrix was the first when he developed the Fuzz Face. One story that predates these and Brad can probably correct me if I'm a little off base, was the first distorted guitar was on the first rock song. "Rocket 88" recorded by Sam Phillips at Sun in Memphis. Story that I heard was that the guitarists amp in Ike Turners band, fell out of the back of the car on the way to the studio and tore the speaker. Sam like experimenting and doing things  different and liked the sound, so he said let's use the broken speaker.

Quote:

I wonder if I can start a new trend where I just keep the thresold my Waves L-1 @ -25db.  It'll go on to be a new instrument and change music forever.

Half the music I record was killed the day it was written.  Power to the artist.  Just tell me what buttons to press!!  I'll use my charisma and charm to make you agree with my point if I'm afraid of hurting my reputation.

Brandon

If you can think about it, it's probably been tried before, but don't let that stop you from becoming an innovator. New trends are born not from conventionalism, but from non-conventional experimentation and often new sounds are discovered unexpectedly, much like the distorted guitar broken speaker thang.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------