R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry Fallwell dead at 73  (Read 5486 times)

PRobb

Re: Jerry Fallwell dead at 73
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 01:17:54 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 00:30

Andy,

I agree with you about a God who would choose Jerry Falwell as a mouthpiece.  But God, fortunately and unfortunately, allows free will.  As such then He would allow Jerry Falwell to say he represented God and would allow him to declare all those inane things.  Now that Jerry stands before God directly in His presence, it's my guess they're having a "Come to Jesus" meeting.  In other words, "Lucy, you've got some 'splaining to do".

Barry

The image of God as a Cuban lounge singer hits my funny bone. Hard. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

mgod

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 03:12:33 AM »

"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Andy Peters

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 03:37:14 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Thu, 17 May 2007 21:30

Andy,

I agree with you about a God who would choose Jerry Falwell as a mouthpiece.  But God, fortunately and unfortunately, allows free will.  As such then He would allow Jerry Falwell to say he represented God and would allow him to declare all those inane things.  Now that Jerry stands before God directly in His presence, it's my guess they're having a "Come to Jesus" meeting.  In other words, "Lucy, you've got some 'splaining to do".

In the mean time, while God's apparently tanning his hide (or having The Other Guy do it), the damage down here's been done.

Thanks a lot, God.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »

Andy,

I don't know if God is "tanning his hide" but I'd like to think there's at least a stern discussion going on.  Of course, Falwell could be immediately enlightened about the true nature of things and could be repentent (but that is me judging his motives and actions...)

I ask that you not blame God for allowing us to act as we do.  We are the ones who choose good or evil.

Barry

PRobb

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »

One of my all time favorite bumper stickers says "The Moral Majority is neither".
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Larrchild

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »

Reasonable people inherently distrust the symbiosis between politics and religion.
We told a king to take his dodgy, self-invented religion/rule  and stuff it, eh?

I know it was a big enough deal to put in the Bylaws in big print.

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

danickstr

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »

I don't blame God, Barry Very Happy
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

John Ivan

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 01:00:20 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 10:53

Andy,

I don't know if God is "tanning his hide" but I'd like to think there's at least a stern discussion going on.  Of course, Falwell could be immediately enlightened about the true nature of things and could be repentent (but that is me judging his motives and actions...)

I ask that you not blame God for allowing us to act as we do.  We are the ones who choose good or evil.

Barry

And Barry, I would ask of you that you become the 'spokesman' for what modern Christianity can and should be.. No Joke... If your attitude were were more prevalent, the world would be a better place..Thanks..

Ivan.........................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 01:15:46 AM »

Ivan,

That's certainly high praise (sincerely) and I appreciate the thought.  All I can do is tell you there are many Christians who share the attitudes I do.  You just never hear about them.  Unfortunately it is all the whackjobs who get the press.

The second thing I can tell is that I'm too full of shit to be a spokesman for anyone but myself.  And I'm always getting in trouble with that!

But you've really touched my heart with your kind words.

Barry

Careful Collapse

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »

I knew a guy who went to Liberty for a year.  I'd say something about him, but he has a track record of stalking my internet habits...
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

midnightsun

Jerry Fallwell-- Guided by fear
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 01:39:54 PM »

Control Freaks guided by "fear" claiming to be guided by "God" are frightening facades.     What is more frightening to me is that the "mob," many of whom drink lemonade on the front porch while discussing "the good book" go along with deception.   Now here is my paradox.    I actually "fear" the control freaks and their mobs--   as a Christian I sincerely pray to not be ruled by "fear."  I am totally okay with what Fallwell and the mobs believes.   I am not okay allowing their fears to rule and violate my life, worse yet, allow fear to rule and violate my children's children.     Fallwell's "rule of fear" is bondage and captivity all over again.   I stand opposing this disease of spirit and soul and on a good day I stand without fear.

Barry Hufker

Re: Jerry Fallwell-- Guided by fear
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »

Midnightsun,

That's a great message.  Thank you for posting it.

Barry

midnightsun

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 02:12:44 AM »

There is an occasion where Jerry Falwell stood out as a good man.  During Matthew Shepard's funeral in Wyoming, Rev. Fred Phelps and his "God Hates Fags" warriors stood as close as they could, waving signs that said things like, "The fag Matthew Shepard is burning in hell."

Falwell commented that God loves everyone, and that Phelps and his crew were "cruel" to treat the boy's family in that way.

Pretty sad times, when Jerry Falwell is the voice of compassion and moderation.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »

Even after he's dead:

Liberty University students make bombs to blow up Falwell funeral protesters.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3201543&page=1

Barry
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.