R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AT 4060 vs Soundelux U195  (Read 6458 times)

gibsonez

AT 4060 vs Soundelux U195
« on: April 26, 2004, 08:15:16 PM »

Hello,

I need some help deciding between these mics for vocal applications. The 4060 is under consideration mainly because George Massenburg recommended it to someone else as a vocal mic on the MP forums and I've only seen good remarks from everyone else. Soundelux seems to get raved about and the U195 is the only one that I can afford. Also, the 4060 is a couple hundred less.

I will not be able to demo these mics, so I need some guidance.

Thanks!

natpub

Re: AT 4060 vs Soundelux U195
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »

I thought Fletcher allows returns on mics? Check out the U195 that way?

Kurt Thompson,
Natalia Publishing, Inc. (BMI)
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

gibsonez

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 12:20:54 AM »

Oh, didn't know that, thanks!!  OTOH, I'm still looking for input and advice based upon others' experience.  Especially with the AT 4060.

sdevino

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 07:38:32 AM »

You really need to try the mic to see which fits your need. Different mics work for different singers in different styles.

I have a Soundelux E47, Gefel UM92.1, Shure KSM44, Neumann U87 and some KSM32's as possible vocal mics in my cabinet. there are currently 4 projects in my studio. The E47 sounds best on the 12 year old female that has an edgy high pitched young sound, the KSM44 sounds best on a slightly nasaly tenor folk singer, The Gefel sounds best on a 16 year old female belter, and the 44 year old Anne Murryish vocalist I have, sounds amazingly good in a Royer R121 ribbon.

So depending on who I was recording that week, I would have picked a different mic in any given shoot out. Since we can't hear what you are recording and don't know what you like, its pretty hard to recommend one over the other.

Steve
Steve Devino

Granite Rocks Recording Studios
Studio gear design and setup

Otitis Media

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 09:24:08 AM »

The U195 is a great sounding mic for a lot of applications.  The fat switch gives a nice low-mid bump and it's got what I'd call a "gushy" high end on vox.  It'd be pretty good as drum overheads, a kick drum mic, vox for the right vocalist, GTRs (probably a little edgy for acoustic, but haven't tried it)

Haven't heard the AT, but I'm sure it's a good and versatile mic as well.  THe problem with buying mics blind is that you will at some point be disappointed.  You really need to try them both out in a shootout situation and choose the one that meets your goals sonically.  

You'd be surprised at what ends up working when you do a shootout.  A lot of times you put up what you think is going to be the perfect mic and another alternative and the alternative wins.  It's just how it is - you need to try 'em out.  
Dan Roth
Hired Gun
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.