R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Win a pass to Tape Op Con 2004  (Read 14160 times)

Fletcher

Win a pass to Tape Op Con 2004
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:11:48 AM »

Someone over on the Tape Op message board jokingly posted that it would be cool if there were a contest to win a comp entry to TapeOpCon 2004 and we thought [opportunistic fucks that we are] that it would be a great way to kick stuff off here at R/E/P... so... here's the dealio...

Tell us in 50 words or fewer why you think you should get a comp entry to TapeOpCon 2004... best essay wins... decision of the judges is final... not open to Tape Op or Huge Universe employees... and whatever other legal bullshit surrounds these sort of contest things.

Deadline for entries is midnight 13 May, 2004...

You're going to still be responsible for your own transportation and hotel... so you might want to arrange them now as the deadline is like 2 weeks from the event.

Best of luck with it!!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

j.hall

Re: Win a pass to Tape Op Con 2004
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:28:07 AM »

PM'ing me will not help your chances, FYI.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 01:48:04 PM »

Yeah... PM'ing doesn't work... you have to post it here...
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

zimv20

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 01:56:39 PM »

Why I should win a pass to Tape Op Con 2004
by steve zimmers

'Cuz i'm funny and i'll buy a few rounds

chrisrnps

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 07:44:35 PM »

I had this heartbreakingly poetic, pathos-inducing monologue, dripping with maudlin tales of woe about how I'm a poor, starving musician on an art-fag indie label who has to work days at a Moist Pro ger
I mean, calling it "music" is really sort of a mistake. It's drama with noise.
- Brian Eno

jca83

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 07:53:16 PM »

Well.

My name's Jon. I'm 20, and I'm a senior Recording Industry Major at MTSU.  I'm the chair of the Audio Engineering Society chapter of MTSU, etc.  That's the schmooze part.

The other part is, I LOVE music, and I LOVE recording, and I'm totally thrilled about all the guests and panels this year.  It really sounds great.

Thanks... see you in New Orleans! (i hope.)

iluvatar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

My name is Dan, and I'm also a recording student. I'm a quick learner and a hard worker and I would get a lot out of going. Maybe I'll even be able to contribute a bit. Smile

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Rod Affleck

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 12:25:53 PM »

Why I should win a pass to TapeOpCon 2004

By the time I reached the driveway the fumes from the tire fire were burning my eyes. "Gregor! This is not masking the smell of the pig farm at all!" Gregor shrugged and emptied the gas can onto the flames. "I gotta get outta here," I muttered. "But go where?"

r.a.
Rod Affleck

Fibes

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 02:28:13 PM »

I'm sure i can't win (legally) but i'd like to enter, it is an essay from the future.

What I did this summer at Tape OP Con:

It was a fun and informative conference for all in a city where the devil grabs your soul and your deity looks the other way. I spent most of my time banking on the fact that Mithra was not looking especially after outdrinking Fletcher for the second night in a row, convincing some coeds to pick up the tab and winding up locked in the pokey listening to Larry and John complaining about how rude it was of Albini to wear his hat at the dinner table. After several hours of bickering they finally agreed that my throwing a half chewed Baby Ruth bar onto the strip club stage during the "hag" act was not a good enough reason to get locked up (even though they learned how to rig a stainless steel toilet into a macrophone). After they beat me with a pillowcase full of soda cans I spent the remaining hours of Tape Op Con screaming "Geri Curl" at Larry while John tunneled his way to freedom using an MXL 2112.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

prairiedog

Pass gas at Tape Op Con 2004
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 02:48:21 PM »

From the Tape Op website..

" You will definitely go home refreshed and reenergized."

Really? That's not how I would expect to feel after a weekend of sitting through exhaustive circular discussions, vomiting gumbo & tequila, and getting slashed in the French Quarter. What the hell, give me the pass and I'll bring the weed.

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

picksail

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 02:46:50 AM »

I should be the one to receive the 'Big Prize' because, I just recently, low balled a bid on a house in order to finance a rather large equipment purchase ($50,000) for our studio.

Plus, I live in New Orleans and am now too broke to pony up the money for the ticket.
Stewart Cararas
Stewart's Myspace Profile
Studio:504-273-5164/504-452-5456

larrycrane

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 12:06:52 PM »

These aren't essays. get off your asses and write something good! May the best one win...
Larry Crane
Editor Tape Op magazine
Owner Jackpot! Recording
www.tapeop.com
www.tapeopcon.com
www.jackpotrecording.com

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 04:32:48 AM »

Hey... we're talkin' $300+ worth of price of admission here... the least y'all could do would be to write a serious, or at least quasi-serious plea... or we could drop the whole thing if you'd prefer...
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

jca83

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 01:43:53 PM »

Alright. I'll do it again then.

Why I Should Go to TapeOpCon 2004:

I'm a student in the largest recording program in the country, and I'm also the chair of the largest student chapter of the AES in the world.  If sent to TapeOpCon, I feel that I could be a representative of the school and the AES, and impart my experiences to the students upon returning from the convention.  I think it's imperative to learn from the pros in this environment, because our school, while having excellent facilities and faculty, doesn't really represent the "real" side of recording.  It doesn't represent the things I want to do, or the things that many of us in the program will be doing upon graduation.  TapeOp and the professionals attending the convention, however, fill in that gap and give a happy balance between the technical and the creative.  

And hey. I didn't get to go anywhere on spring break.  Engineers Gone Wild 2004!!!

iluvatar

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Sun, 25 April 2004 04:32

Hey... we're talkin' $300+ worth of price of admission here... the least y'all could do would be to write a serious, or at least quasi-serious plea... or we could drop the whole thing if you'd prefer...

It looks like Jon and I are the only ones so far who have given serious entrees. The instructions did say 50 words or less. Had that restriction been looser, I know I would have written a more thorough essay. Judging by Jon's intelligent, thoughtful and more lengthy second attempt, I think he would have done the same.

But anyways... Regardless of who ultimately wins, I would like to  thank Fletcher, J.Hall, PSW, TapeOp, and anybody else involved for the opportunity to attend for free. Somebody is going to be lucky.

My essay v2.0:

My name is Dan Costello; I'm a recording student at a small community college south of Rochester, NY. After being laid off last year from a large defense contractor, I chose not to return to the software industry, because that's not where my heart was. It's easy money and I was good at what I did, but it bored me, and I had no interest in what we were producing. What good is a big paycheck if 80% of your waking hours are spent doing something you either hate or see as pointless? I realized that my hobby of music was really where my passion lay, and that audio engineering would provide a good balance for both my technical and artistic interests.

So at age 22, I'm taking a chance on a second career. I want to become a good engineer. If this is going to be a viable career, I have to be a good engineer. I love what I'm doing, and I'm working harder on this than I have on anything ever before. (my GPA last semester was 3.96) I entered school with a fair amount of prior knowledge gleaned from reading and studying everything I could related to recording including books, magazines, internet message boards, instruction manuals, and online tutorials. After 1 year of school, I'm running sound at an area jazz club and am in the process of setting up my first studio internship.

My school's recording program is primarily set up to convey basic technical concepts and provide a vehicle for learning how to put them into practice. The program is good for what it is, and the faculty is great, but being able to set up a board will only take you so far. I want to learn the art of engineering. Why does this mix or this master sound the way it does and how do I recreate it or avoid recreating it as the case may be? According to the schedule, this year's panels are exactly what I'm looking for.

Why do I want to go to TapeOpCon? Probably the same reasons anyone else does - education, networking, and a bit of fun. There's so much to learn in this field and TapeOpCon affords a nearly endless supply of knowledge and experience that anyone, especially a rookie like me, can draw upon. Also, I'll need a job once I finish school. Where better to meet potential employers than at an industry conference?

My <=50 word answer to the question of why I should get the free pass:

I'll make the most out of my time there.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up