R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: making a record.  (Read 4152 times)

j.hall

making a record.
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:06:26 AM »

as i was building difusor panels on saturday i got to thinking.....

how many people here get to, or choose to, make records in various rooms?

assuming that many of you are working with very small budgets, me included, and probably doing your sessions in your own private studio......have you ever worked in other rooms?

mid level commercial studios that allow free-lancers?

i'm sort of curious to see if any of you reach out for acoustic variety, or feel trapped by the budget and you own restraints, if any....

Fibes

Re: making a record.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 01:18:30 PM »

The most off-site stuff i've done in the last three years was trying to capture a great piano or an organ in it's own space. I used to move around a hell of a lot more but since my room has most of what i need and the budgets don't allow for much as of late, doing things at my shop is the only way.

I would prefer to be completely freelance but if I was, I'm sure I'd feel differently.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

blackcat

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 12:05:27 AM »

I usually work here at my own place.  About three times a year I get to mix a record somewhere else.  My mixing room is pretty screwed up, I really enjoy a nicer room when I mix.

It is just that money issue, I think that if I had more confidance in the bands that I was working with to mot have to change mixes a few times before we are done.

As it is now I work faster in a "nicer" place but can't aford to keep coming back to do small mix fixes in nice control rooms.

slicraider

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 12:13:32 AM »

With so many studios on the brink now is a great time to travel. I choose the room and the gear that best fits the needs of the project, the vibe of the band, and the budget.

A day lost is never coming back and many studios are very willing to work out a deal during down times.

Having said this, it makes sense to get comfortable with one or two rooms for mixing. Under a tight budget is no time to be getting to know a room.

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 09:22:43 AM »

slicraider wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 23:13

Having said this, it makes sense to get comfortable with one or two rooms for mixing. Under a tight budget is no time to be getting to know a room.

ain't that the truth.....

i thought that would be a good idea to explore new sounds for a project.   UUUUGGGGGGG  what a bad idea.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »

As for tracking, I always pick the room for it's acoustic and layout capability related to the project. Obviously budgetary concerns play into this but the same priced rooms all offer different layout and sonic possibilities.
I like change and I like to have a new recording space to challange me to get new sounds. This being said I still always have my faves.
Mixing is a whole other animal. I try new rooms very cautiously and only after they let me have a test day or half day for free.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.