R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vegas 5 is out!  (Read 9450 times)

pipelineaudio

Vegas 5 is out!
« on: April 22, 2004, 07:00:38 AM »

Vegas 5 is out! Monitoring is only in software, and some key workflow issues have been ommited but take a gander and look at what we DO get! Control surfaces, buss to buss routing, auto input ( finally).

Most importantly the same great FAST digital razorblade of an editor

oh yeah and some more video stuff Smile

if more pro users would give this software a spin, it might not have taken five versions to add the basics.

It is a VERY friendly app, made by very cool people

j.hall

Re: Vegas 5 is out!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:40:30 AM »

isn't vegas primarily a video app?

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:54:50 AM »

Vegas started out as a two track editor and they added a Vegas Video a release or two ago. It's a great editor that i don't use simply because i'm on the Mac.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

pipelineaudio

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 02:10:52 PM »

"isn't vegas primarily a video app?"

Its funny you should say this. At their forums, the vegas histroy is being reviewed for the video guys. SF's marketing has been so piss poor on the audio side that this is what people think.

In truth, first they had sound forge, a two track editor, which is now in version 7, and pretty nice. Then they put out acid a looping tool. Vegas Pro came out soon after. It had a video playback feature just like sound forge did. The audio editing system vegas uses was so intuitive for some people that the video features started piling up, and video was treated the same way as audio. After a while there were two versions, Vegas Video, and Vegas Audio, which were identical, save that Vegas Video had more video tracks. Now they have dropped the name back to Vegas

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 02:55:53 PM »

oh man, i didn't know vegas was a sony product.

so, is it based off soud forge, functionality, and so forth?

my DAW experience is pretty limited to most every version of PT except HD, and a very short lived (a quick transfer to 2") with digital performer.

what sort of plug-ins does it use, or is it like that at all?

pipelineaudio

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 04:16:29 PM »

DX or VST with an adapter

weevil

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 06:38:07 PM »

Yeah J, Vegas is a very tidy little editor.  I do all my demoing on it; drives me bonkers going back to Alsihad.  In terms of sheer usability there are light years between them.

It’s very lean and clear, you don’t get lost navigating through 10,000 different icons and screens to do anything, but it does the basics very, very well.  I can sit a novice down in front of it and have them happily recording and editing away in literally a couple of minutes.

...Man, you haven’t finished that room yet?   Rolling Eyes  Smile  It’s an epic production, but will be totally worth it...Not that I can talk, ‘the’ record still isn’t out yet.  First single all over the radio though.  All is good.  PM me your address and I’ll send ya a copy!

You sticking round Pipe, or just passing through to beat the drum?
            ____________________________________________________________ ______________
'Born from an egg on a mountain top, the punkiest monkey that ever popped'

pipelineaudio

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 07:44:36 PM »

trying to stay around Smile We did our crazy recording marathon thing, march 5-7, and so Im busy trying to mix everything from it. There should be an article about it on recordingproject soon, good to see you here. Slammed beta V5 thru its paces during that like 30 bands or something.

Weevil how are you doing midi (if and when it comes up) with vegas?

spankenstein

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 01:10:27 AM »

Before I ended up using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (now up to SONAR 3) I tried out Vegas Audio. It was nice. Really simple and sounded better to me than Pro Audio 9 but when it came time to buy they had converged into Vegas and they touted all teh video features and I was kind of disenfranchised with it. So I stuck with Cakewalk.

OTR-jkl

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 11:22:30 PM »

Man, I hate to bring the rain...

...but I was once a VV3 user (along with SoundForge6, Acid Pro 4.0 and CDArchitect). Used to do audio editing in SF and then got into Vegas when I started doing dance routine editing 'cause I needed more tracks and the ability to do fancy cross-fading. I have to say that VV3 was VERY easy to use and was quick for editing dialogue.

The thing that broke down for me though was when I got bit by the Mastering bug. I started learning it on VV3 - and it did fairly well - until I discovered that what I was hearing was not what I would get after processing. In fact, I did some testing and found that of the 4 Sonic Foundry apps that I checked (VV3, SF6, CDA4.0 and CDA 5), the same wav file sounded different on every one of them.

I got fed up and starting hunting down a real Mastering app - and found Samplitude 7. You guys would not believe the difference in the sound. I played the same wav file on Samp7 as I did on all the other apps and the difference was like opening the curtains that (used to) cover the monitors. High end was now wide open - waaaaaaay more transparent than the SF apps. +, after quickly getting used to using Samp, I found that it is just as fast and easy to edit in and it goes far deeper than Vegas ever dreamed of doing.

There is one thing that I do like that SF does better than Samp7 - the way the waveform is drawn...

I do still use SF6 for special tools and the FFT function, but I'll take Samp7 over Vegas any day.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

pipelineaudio

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 04:00:09 AM »

Im having a lot of troubles with Vegas 5, but it seems to be config related. Noone else is of course!!! Its always me

Interesting about samplitude. I just cant get into the editing in that app. Once you get spoiled by Vegas its hard to try anything else. We are messing with nuendo right now as it can do a RIDICULOUSLY high track count and seems pretty stable now but the editing is just PATHETIC. Im hoping I get my issues sorted with V5 and I will be smooth sailing. I notice Xvision touting synthax now, does that mean that Sam will run my RME stuff as well as Nuendo does?

rvdsm

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 04:20:36 AM »

I guess it's been a while since I've been back here.

I had a question about Vegas 5 that I've been trying to get info about anywhere I can find forums for Vegas, so here it is again.

How well does Vegas 5 support dual processor motherboards?

I'm almost sold on it (since I already use Vegas now), but if it can't take full advantage of a dual cpu mobo, then I'm going to move on to a DAW that can (Nuendo probably).

Anyone have any info about this?
(I have contacted Sony's support staff via email about this and they weren't much help.)
We walked along and talked along till we came to the levelest ground....then I picked up a stick of wood and I knocked that Boston bitch down!

OTR-jkl

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 03:02:50 PM »

Quote:

Interesting about samplitude. I just cant get into the editing in that app. Once you get spoiled by Vegas its hard to try anything else.

Pipeline -
When I first started playing around with the Samp7 demo, I had the same thoughts as you as I also came from Vegas (VV3). However, after spending some honest time with Samp and really trying to figure out how to edit quickly with it, I soon caught on and discovered how easy it is to use - and how WAY more powerful it is than Vegas. Vegas is merely a toy compared to Samp7 - really.

Play around with the Samp demo some more and give it an honest shot. I think you'll agree its by far a better app.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

tptman

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 07:43:14 PM »

pipelineaudio wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 04:00

Im having a lot of troubles with Vegas 5, but it seems to be config related. Noone else is of course!!! Its always me

Interesting about samplitude. I just cant get into the editing in that app. Once you get spoiled by Vegas its hard to try anything else. We are messing with nuendo right now as it can do a RIDICULOUSLY high track count and seems pretty stable now but the editing is just PATHETIC. Im hoping I get my issues sorted with V5 and I will be smooth sailing. I notice Xvision touting synthax now, does that mean that Sam will run my RME stuff as well as Nuendo does?

"Optimized for dual processors" is marketing hype. Windows XP automatically makes any software "dual processor compatible". It automatically distributes threads of an application between the two processors (threads are the different things your software is doing at once, like Vegas might have a "mixbus thread" and a directx_plugs thread" running at once, for example).

The only way to actually "optimize" this system is that a particular thread within a Windows XP process (say, a convolution reverb) may take up a ton of processor while not much else is going on. Normally, this would max out one proc and leave the other idling. However, using an Intel compiler, you can tell this particular thread to split between processors when available (this is a fairly new technology, and I doubt Vegas is doing it in V.5). Other than that, it should be as "multi processor" compatible as any other XP release.
Peter "tptman" Green

Todd Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 11:17:24 PM »

tptman wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 00:43

"Optimized for dual processors" is marketing hype. Windows XP automatically makes any software "dual processor compatible". It automatically distributes threads of an application between the two processors (threads are the different things your software is doing at once, like Vegas might have a "mixbus thread" and a directx_plugs thread" running at once, for example).

The only way to actually "optimize" this system is that a particular thread within a Windows XP process (say, a convolution reverb) may take up a ton of processor while not much else is going on. Normally, this would max out one proc and leave the other idling. However, using an Intel compiler, you can tell this particular thread to split between processors when available (this is a fairly new technology, and I doubt Vegas is doing it in V.5). Other than that, it should be as "multi processor" compatible as any other XP release.

I don't know anything about the technical details, but when rendering or building peak files in Vegas 4.0 (the first version that claimed H-T support) with H-T turned ON, you will see two progress bars in Vegas. With H-T turned off, you will only see one. I suspect all that really means is that Vegas 4.0 is H-T aware and is getting some feedback from XP about how each processor is doing with its thread.

I can say that having H-T turned on is a big boost to performance in Vegas 4.0.

Regarding sound quality: I've been using Vegas since version 1.0, and I noticed very early on that the included (then) Sonic Foundry plugs just suck. They still do. Once I started moving into third-party plug-ins it really became much easier to get decent sound.

Also, I've just recently had some major rendering problems where the live playback did not match the render at all. I can't really figure out why that would be, since when rendering it should have all the time in the world to get it right, but I was VERY disappointed.

That combined with a problem I'm having now with plug-ins in Vegas is causing me to start looking around for something else, rather than upgrade to Vegas 5.0 (the first version of Vegas I will not have purchased).

Todd Wilcox
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.