R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distortion at low gain in channel  (Read 1591 times)

l.e.d

Distortion at low gain in channel
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:25:41 AM »

Hi, I'm going to probe the module to trace this fault but wondered if anybody had come across anything similar before?
I have a module in my console that starts to distort after about 10 minutes of powering up. If I crank the input gain up the distortion goes away for a little while but comes back again after about 5 minutes. It almost sounds like an amp does when it's underpowered. I'm just waiting on extenders for the module so I can probe it, but has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's full of NE5532a opamps and all the caps are fairly new. I've asked a few people about this but I'm just filling in time till I get the extenders delivered.
Thanks

sodderboy

Re: Distortion at low gain in channel
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:16:20 AM »

A bad connection, mechanical or solder, can act like that.  Crank 1K through it and it goes clear and solid, then goes bad again after some time.  Do a signal trace and let us know.
Mike

Dave Hecht

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »

You can try to narrow down where it's happening in the signal path. Does the problem occur pre or post insert? To multitrack or mix bus? Eq in or out? If you can narrow down the section of the module causing problems, you might try touching up the solder joints in that section

Dave Hecht

l.e.d

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies Sodderboy and Dave. It is somewhere in the EQ section. When I switch the eq out of the channel line path and into the monitor path the distortion moves with the eq. Extenders just arrived so I'll begin by probing that section.
Cheers,
Led

rodabod

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »

If you get stuck, don't rule out oscillation either (how old is the desk?). When the output has gone distorted, scope the output and see if there is anything dubious coming out of the desk.
Roddy Bell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.