R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of Control  (Read 6137 times)

OTR-jkl

Out of Control
« on: April 21, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »

Got a track that the bass gtr (upright) is flat-out out of control on certain notes. The VU meters go all the way to 0 even when the rest of the material is down around -5 to -7. What would you suggest to control it?

I've put a compressor on the track with a slow attack & med-fast release. The rest of the material sounds fine. Its just certain notes on that bass that are too strong. I hate to use M/B comp. but do think that's the best solution?
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Immanuel Kuhrt

Re: Out of Control
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 08:09:49 PM »

EQ?
Maybe side chain compressing where you use a clone of the signal - but with an eq boost on the fundamental frequencies of the od notes - as trigger?
Disclaimer - I ain't no pro

audio2u

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 08:50:04 PM »

How about some gentle notch filters on the frequencies that are out of control?
Like, if it's certain notes, you should be able to find the centre frequencies pretty easily. Then, some gentle notching, or even high q parametric EQ should pull those wild babies back into line.
Cheers,
Bruce Williams
Manager
Audio2u

Web: www.audio2u.com
Mail: studio@audio2u.com

Find me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=549147639

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 09:10:13 PM »

If at all possible, ask for a remix. Anything you do will be a compromise, but the mix engineer can use all sorts of tricks to dial it in and make it sit nicely in the mix. If that's not an option, I think this is a perfect example of a situation where MB comp might work miracles...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

OTR-jkl

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 12:24:12 AM »

Remix is out... the client lost all files of this project due to a puter crash. I didn't mention this, but the rest of the bottom end seems fine so I think maybe M/B comp set to a narrow band around the wild freq might just be the ticket. (It seems to be one particular note that goes whacko.)

On another note:
This is a Nuendo project (whatever that means to the outcome). Overall, it sounds like it was done fairly well - pretty darn quiet, good players, good dynamics, good mix - but the darn thing is just flat....lifeless....and kinda dark. The tunes that should really bounce have no punch whatsoever. I'm having to manufacture alot of bottom end. I'm having a hard time getting this thing to turn out the way it should sound.

Does that sound like I'm getting off track of what an ME is supposed to do? Anybody have any tricks to bring these kind of mixes back to life?

As always - thanks for the help.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering

odysseys

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 04:20:58 AM »

If you can find a part of the song that this note sounds solo,then you can analyse it's response,load a multiband and compress accordingly.
Good take is all it takes.

OTR-jkl

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 10:58:15 AM »

I used a low shelf M/B comp. and not only is that freq now under control but the whole bottom end is more "legible" also.

Thnx for the help all.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering

Waylon

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 12:43:31 AM »

ok.. form an AE perspective, If I had a track with this issue, I would probablly process just those notes and edit them back into the original... any way to do thsi on a Master without really screwing up the overall track? so dump it in twice, one version with nessacary MB or cutting, and one with the overall " normal " track treatemnt, and just splice in the MB version on the sopts that the bass freaks... could this be doen in a transparent fasion with a 2 mix?
Steve Smith

"Oh of course not, Henrik! The compressor is just one small part of this nutricious breakfast. The brains between my two ears also count as well."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.