R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which tubes ?  (Read 2741 times)

mudflaps

Which tubes ?
« on: May 08, 2007, 06:43:40 PM »

Hey all Smile  just bought a Art Gold mic pre just like to know what tubes to use? to replace the stock tubes. I heard changing out the tubes can enhance the performance making it more desirable tone and sound to your reorded tracks then the stock tubes. Thanks in advance.

Erasehead

Re: Which tubes ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »

This is not my area of expertise, but I do live 20 minutes away from a warehouse with 10 million tubes for sale. Their online home is here: vacuumtubes.net (FAQ page too)

When researching "which tubes are best" for my pre's, I found a wide variety of answers, prices, etc... Some said Telefunkens are best. Some said telefunkens are crap and Amperex are best. Others said RCAs are just as good. You get the point.

I've had the best results from matched pairs of RCAs and Amperexs over the years. Your results, however, may be different. I tried a pair of Telefunkens but I think they were fakes. There are a LOT of fake Telefunkens and other sought after brands out there.

Find a dealer you can trust and stick with them. Try out a few different brands.

My tube retailer is great - they let me brouse their inventory, match the pairs right in front of me, always write the measurements on the box, and always give a fair price...can't ask for much more. I have no problem buying gear on Ebay, but not tubes unless it's from someone I know.

Hope this helps.

"There is no such thing as 'serious' and 'popular' music. There is only music whose title begins with the letter 'X,' and music whose title does not." - Milton Babbitt 1958

Vertigo

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:29:11 PM »

What is it about the sound of the unit that you're looking to change? Do you need more gain, more harmonic content, low end response?

Different tubes offer different benefits - if you're unsure what you're looking for, go buy a handful from different manufacturers and cherry pick the ones you like.

-Lance

mudflaps

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »

Would love to do cherry picking with a handful of tubes but budget tight figured you guys might have a fave but definitely would like a tube that could add more harmonic content.

vegas4ever

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 04:19:57 PM »

mudflaps wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 19:24

Would love to do cherry picking with a handful of tubes but budget tight figured you guys might have a fave but definitely would like a tube that could add more harmonic content.

so im selling about 8 different types of Mic tubes for about $1 a piece ranging from RCA to Telefunken... go to ebay and search for ID Labola84, I will put the link later on...
"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

Vertigo

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 11:24:57 AM »

I believe the ART MPA uses 12ax7's. The Tung Sol 12ax7's will give you terrific harmonic content, but they do have a LOT of gain - you may like it or it may be too much.

The JJ ECC83's are pretty excellent (one of the few JJ's I actually like) and a bit more balanced. Or you could try JJ ECC82's (also great tubes) for a bit less gain which would allow you to drive the pre a little harder.

-Lance

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 16 queries.