R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: square rooms  (Read 1726 times)

Mike Swanson

square rooms
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »

My mix room is square (23ft wide 22ft deep and 8ft high).

I have 4ft wide 8ft high by 4" thick 703 traps in each corner, two 4ft wide 6ft high by 4" thick 703 traps behind me 10" off the back wall, three 2ft wide 4ft long by 4" 703 traps lying along the front wall to floor corner, and a 4ft wide 10ft long by 4" 703 ceiling cloud 4" off the ceiling, these make up the "fixed" traps in my room.
Also i have two 4ft wide 6ft high 4" 703 traps on wheels that I have on both sides of the mix position which are 4ft from the side walls and 4ft from either monitor and 5ft from the front wall.
Mix position follows the 38% guideline.

My question is, having the traps positioned away from the walls by the mix position (and/or other positions) help change the room characteristics away from being a square room, or does it just help first reflections?

(I am tempted to build another pair of 4ft wide 6ft high rolling traps to help shape/control sound in the rear of the room by positioning them well of the walls as needed).

I can post a pic if discussion warrants it?

Thanks Francis for sharing your experience in this forum.

Mike

franman

Re: square rooms
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »

The placement you describe is an intersting approach... Most of the traps are really high/mid frequency absorption. Some of the panels you have laid across the floor/wall corner may act as some broadband bass trapping...

The signficant affect of the 'square room' is low frequency modal buildup.... too many modes in similar frequency range. Moving your relatively thin panels away from the walls has no effect on this..... There are potential issues with spacing panels from the wall causing some comb filtering.. Lars will describe this better than I.

All in all, it sounds like you've done a reasonable job trapping your room... With an almost square shell, you really have to play with speaker location and listening position to try and find a combination that provides reasonble LF response... Also, once you locate things, some professional measurements might help identify the LF trouble spots and some tuned trapping could be implemented.....

hope this all makes sense. Cool
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.