R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Basement Renovation....  (Read 26646 times)

Gregg Seibert

Re: Basement Renovation....
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2004, 11:59:19 AM »

J.
  How did you seal off the recessed ceiling lights?  Won't those just allow the bass to pass right on through to the upstairs?  Just curious.  If this was covered on some earlier thread, sorry for the interruption/  Thanks!
Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzsche

j.hall

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2004, 12:51:56 PM »

never an interruption

this thread is meant to be interactive

didn't seal them off at all

not to worried about sound leakage

my home was built in 1947.  it was built very well, but it was obviously built out of wood and plaster.

i can't possibly do anything to stop the sound from going upstairs with wood construction

two layers of sheet rock was to merely "help out"

i decided to not even mess with the can lights after reading all the lit on them and seeing that heat gain from the can is a pretty serious issue

floodstage

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2004, 02:59:57 PM »

To answer the lighting/sealing the ceiling question .....

If you want acoustically sealed lighting cans:

1) Buy cans that are sealed (airtite) AND rated for direct insulation contact.

If you don't get cans that are rated for direct insulation contact and you pack the insulation on anyway, the fire department will be visiting you.  Do NOT f**k around with this detail!  

BTW, Home Depot/Lowes/etc normally do not stock cans that are sealed and rated, you normally have to get them from a "real" lighting supply house.

While you are buying the cans, also buy gaskets sets for them.  The gaskets are thin vinyl w/adhesive (peal and stick - like a white bumper sticker) and are not very expensive (less than a buck).  The gaskets bridge the gap between the drywall and the can.

2) Install the cans.

3) Pack the insulation around them tightly, behind and around, no voids.  I prefer rock wool insulation for this job.  It's meant for sound proofing and it will not ever catch on fire.  (fiberglass insulation will burn if you heat it enough, I know by 1st hand experience!)

4) Install drywall and finish it, taking care to cut the holes for the can tight.  (A Rotozip is worth it's weight in Latinum for this job).

5) Install gaskets.  

6) install lighting trim rings which will cover the gasket.

This method isn't as good as a ceiling w/no perforations, but it works WAY better than standard cans.

j.hall

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

home depot had a variety of cans when i was there

they had sealed cans in stock all the way down to "don't put anything around this can EVER"

i bought cans that allowed standard 100 watt lightbulbs to be used with insulation (R19) placed no closer then 24" on either side.

this was good enough for what i was doing and they cost about 6 bucks each

the sealed versions were about 18 a piece and i just didn't need that sort of light.  why spend the cash on something that isn't going to bring any benefit to the game

the hardwood floor of my living directly above is going to (and does) act like a giant diaphragm no matter what can light i put in.

floodstage

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2004, 10:01:38 AM »

Wasn't suggesting you do it differently, J, just explaining how to seal the cans for the the person who asked how to do it in case they had need for the info.

Carry on!
(and while you're at it, carry that BIG right on in, and wire that sucka up!)

j.hall

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2004, 10:46:10 AM »

floodstage wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 09:01

(and while you're at it, carry that BIG right on in, and wire that sucka up!)

yeah, that will be a lot of fun....let me tell you

i'm dreading moving the tape deck

UUUGGGGGG

j.hall

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2004, 04:27:46 PM »

no pics....just a quick update

all the trim has been painted, two coats, in some places three

i'm swamped mixing a few things here and there for the next few days and won't have time to tape off the hallway and staircase to paint the walls

that should go pretty quick though....and i can probably get both coats up in one day considering it's high grade laytex paint.....it'll dry in a few hours...

my tech is currently working on building up all the cabling i need

i was planning on doing this myself but i'm flat out of time, he isn't very busy now, and he's better at it then i am.....

PT is sitting in boxes in my living room, along with a 17" plasma display and no computer

all the channels from the amek are sitting in static bags and bubble wraped....i ship em out tomorrow to get the VCA's upgraded

Fred Forssell is reviewing the schematics of the big's input channels for potential mods....

as far as the build out goes, i have to fabric wrap the diffusor panels, build and fabric wrap the cloud above the mix position, lay the laminent flooring for the mix area, and have the carpet installed......

all of that can be done in one or two days

we are very close kids......very close

NelsonL

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2004, 05:32:26 PM »

Hot Damn!!!

Thanks for running this thread, its been really interesting to watch the room progress.

Looking forward to hearing what comes out of it.

bblackwood

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »

I just want to say that J is doing it right and I want to applaud him for it. He has blown a ton of dough on this thing already, but I know it will pay him back in spades...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

j.hall

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2004, 09:25:35 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 24 June 2004 20:53

I just want to say that J is doing it right and I want to applaud him for it. He has blown a ton of dough on this thing already, but I know it will pay him back in spades...

Thanks B-rad and rattleyour....

at this point, there is simply no turning back, a firm eye on the future and "awwwwwwaaaayyyy we go"

Invisible Member

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2004, 12:42:37 PM »

Its looking good.  

I have some questions though about room size, shape and areas where you knew you were going to have to compromise.

Peace,
Dennis

j.hall

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »

ask b-rad

the design is all his, the execution is all mine

the only compromise i know of is the fact that i'm building it in my basement and not starting from scratch

other then that, i've done everything B-rad has laid out, and i've done maticulously and with the best quality materials i can get my hands on.....

bblackwood

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2004, 07:08:36 PM »

Dennis, what questions do you have?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

meverylame

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2004, 02:14:09 PM »

J. I have a question. How did you score up on the 703? I've called several places, and while they all can get it, they all want rather large orders. As I understand it 703 comes in packages of 56 sq(14 2x4 pieces) feet for roughly $70 per pack, but a order of 10 packages is required.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Invisible Member

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2004, 02:21:06 PM »

Hi Brad,

Length, Width, ceiling height for starters. Are walls parallel? If they are what was the workaround. I know there is alot of trapping and diffusing going on in J's room but I have no reference to front or back without a floor plan to orient me to the pictures. Any ideas on how to convert a hollow door into a diffuser or bass trap? My problem was that the room sounded pretty decent...until I put stuff into it, maybe too much stuff. Is there a arrangement of gear that was worked out to minimize nulls. jhalls space look similar in size and Im looking to change somethings around.

Thanks,
Dennis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.