R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Basement Renovation....  (Read 26662 times)

drew

Re: Basement Renovation....
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 08:52:39 AM »

more pics!!! if you can.

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 09:57:09 AM »

as requested:

day 13:

i've already typed about it, but i shot a few pics anyway, and i'll post em

they are sort of boring but oh well

ceiling has two coats fo paint, machine room ceiling, hall way, and staircase are the same.  machine room walls, hallway, and staircase are primed and ready for paint.

Day 13 Ceiling

Day 13 Stairs

Day 14:
more like a half day (last night to be exact)
we bought all the paneling, and stocked it in the garage on saturday.  sunday i started painting trim in the hallway.

last night we got the entire south wall paneled, and electrical boxes cut out and caulked.  we have reached the point where i've started repeating in my head......"i sure hope this works"

Day 14 South Wall

you can see the trim color a tiny bit in the hall way door jam.

here is what we did to get an air tight seal on a large piece of paneling that stretches multiple stud spaces.....

cut the sheet to fit first (measure twice, cut once.....this stuff is expenssive)

hold it up and check the fit, make any adjustments needed.

mark the studs on the floor and ceiling.....this just makes things easier, especially when you can't afford to miss, and ruin the integrity of the air tight seal.

next, you pull the sheet away, and caulk the studs.  i was pretty generous with the caulk as you can't see how well it seals up the paneling, and i'm not runing a thousand nails up and down the paneling to press it on super tight.

put the paneling back up and get it pressed in and smoothed out tight.

"hang it" but running one nail in the upper two corners.  this allows one guy to let go, and the other to start nailing

side note:
we tested the trim nailer on a scrap piece of paneling to ensure we had the proper pressure and nails for the job.
the trim nailer was too strong, and the nails were too thin
the braid nailer was the same.  we ended up using 5/8 finishing staples as they did the best job holding the paneling with out ripping through it.

as i attached the paneling to the wall, i would be "smoothing it" and pressing it against the caulked stud with one hand and shooting in staples with the other.  working my way from upper left to lower right, or vice versa.  i figured this just helped get it hung nice and tight.

we drilled a 1/8 pilot hole in the center of each electrical box.  while i was working on whatever and my dad wasn't cutting the next piece of paneling, he'd use the roto-zip and cut out the boxes.  after that, i'd come along behind him and suck out the saw dust and caulk up the inside edges of the box, where it meets the paneling.

should i be posting pics of "while we're working"?

i just take pics at the end of each major job.  didn't think of showing the steps until i just typed all that.

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 09:57:47 AM »

as requested:

day 13:

i've already typed about it, but i shot a few pics anyway, and i'll post em

they are sort of boring but oh well

ceiling has two coats fo paint, machine room ceiling, hall way, and staircase are the same.  machine room walls, hallway, and staircase are primed and ready for paint.

the ceiling pic below is unpainted.  just a pic of the textured ceiling.

Day 13 Ceiling

Day 13 Stairs

Day 14:
more like a half day (last night to be exact)
we bought all the paneling, and stocked it in the garage on saturday.  sunday i started painting trim in the hallway.

last night we got the entire south wall paneled, and electrical boxes cut out and caulked.  we have reached the point where i've started repeating in my head......"i sure hope this works"

Day 14 South Wall

you can see the trim color a tiny bit in the hall way door jam.

here is what we did to get an air tight seal on a large piece of paneling that stretches multiple stud spaces.....

cut the sheet to fit first (measure twice, cut once.....this stuff is expensive)

hold it up and check the fit, make any adjustments needed.

mark the studs on the floor and ceiling.....this just makes things easier, especially when you can't afford to miss, and ruin the integrity of the air tight seal.

next, you pull the sheet away, and caulk the studs.  i was pretty generous with the caulk as you can't see how well it seals up the paneling, and i'm not running a thousand nails up and down the paneling to press it on super tight.

put the paneling back up and get it pressed in and smoothed out tight.

"hang it" but running one nail in the upper two corners.  this allows one guy to let go, and the other to start nailing

side note:
we tested the trim nailer on a scrap piece of paneling to ensure we had the proper pressure and nails for the job.
the trim nailer was too strong, and the nails were too thin
the braid nailer was the same.  we ended up using 5/8 finishing staples as they did the best job holding the paneling with out ripping through it.

as i attached the paneling to the wall, i would be "smoothing it" and pressing it against the caulked stud with one hand and shooting in staples with the other.  working my way from upper left to lower right, or vice versa.  i figured this just helped get it hung nice and tight.

we drilled a 1/8 pilot hole in the center of each electrical box.  while i was working on whatever and my dad wasn't cutting the next piece of paneling, he'd use the roto-zip and cut out the boxes.  after that, i'd come along behind him and suck out the saw dust and caulk up the inside edges of the box, where it meets the paneling.

should i be posting pics of "while we're working"?

i just take pics at the end of each major job.  didn't think of showing the steps until i just typed all that.

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 10:00:27 AM »

we're using Oak paneling BTW.

i wanted birch....but what they had SUCKED, the pine was all gone, and the oak looked really nice.....i don't have time at this point to wait.

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 11:29:40 AM »

Day 15:

diffusor panels framed out, 703 cut to fit and installed, and 1/4" peg board cut and drilled out randomly with various size hole saws

Day 15 Diffusor 1

Day 15 Diffusor 2

xonlocust

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 07:09:53 PM »

hey j.-

working hard, or hardly working - huh buddy?

sorry, i couldn't resist!! looking great!

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 11:51:54 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 18:09

hey j.-

working hard, or hardly working - huh buddy?

sorry, i couldn't resist!! looking great!

you shouldn't be talking....."Mr. i'll have my room done before you do"

i should have bet money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j.hall

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 10:25:07 AM »

OK....much work was done over the long weekend

Day 16:

north wall paneled, and various other things cleaned up and taken care of.

Day 16 North Wall 1

Day 16 North Wall 2

Day 16 North Wall 3

day 17:

it's all starting to blur together....hahaha

we finished all the the paneling (which is a two person job)

from there, my dad started doing trim work, and i started re-building the diffusor panels (the previous ones were built quickly, and they weren't square).  i used scrap wood that was cheap and i wanted to use something better that would be more sturdy and easier to work with (pine).

Day 17 Front Wall

Day 17 South Wall

Day 17 Cable Pass-Thru

the one corner looks like it has chicken pox, the nail gun had a slight malfunction on us..........nothing a little putty won't cure.

Day 18:

i finished off the diffusor panels, and i'm much happier with them

and we bought all the rest of the trim......we are closing in on the end.

Day 18 Diffusors

Day 18 Diffusors 2

Day 18 Trim

drumsound

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 05:05:53 PM »

Did you do the math for the difusers or is it a randon thing?

j.hall

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2004, 10:30:33 AM »

what part are you talking about?

the surface area

or the size and placement of the holes?

surface area is based on the listening postion and the stud spacing of the walls at the listening position.....i only need them where my ears are going to be, and i need them to line up with the studs....

the holes are just random as i wanted them to diffuse and absorb random high frequencies....hence the peg board to begin with.  i used 1" up to 2 1/2" hole saws just randomly drilled from there.

j.hall

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 11:38:10 AM »

Day 19:

applied one coat of urethane to the front wall, north wall, and all trim that will not be painted and needs to match paneling.

i used a high grade, low odor, oil based urethane with a 4" stain brush that wasn't cheap.  urethane was from a company called "zar" and went on very nicely, and i wasn't too high when finished.....hahahaha

Day 19 Front Wall

Day 19 North Wall

drew

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 09:02:24 PM »

how many coats you gonna do?  cool idea btw.
drew

j.hall

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 09:18:59 AM »

two coats

and their both done

the real answer was, "until it's nice and smooth and i'm happy"

but that ended up being two coats as the urethane is pretty high quality and i used a really fine grit (320) sand paper to sand down the first coat

then we used tack clothes to wipe up all the dust (much better then just brushing it off as that just kicks it up in the air)

got a few more pics to post once i find time to get them loaded up and converted down to a smaller size.

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2004, 10:40:06 AM »

quick update

i'm painting like a fool

sick of breathing paint fumes.....

no pics, i think i might save the pics till it's done

at this point, the finishing touches are being applied and it might be cooler to just show you guys what it looks like done

instead of pics of trim painted, then walls, then fabric going up......

tell me if you want pics and i'll think about it...HA

j.hall

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 02:29:03 PM »

i lied.....two more pics

day 20: (if that's even accurate anymore)

we fabric wrapped the back wall, put up the ceiling trim and baseboard, hung the machine room door.....

Day 20 Front Wall

Day 20 Back Wall

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.