R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Basement Renovation....  (Read 26656 times)

j.hall

Basement Renovation....
« on: April 21, 2004, 04:14:51 PM »

this thread is a continuation from the "recpit" thread found here

day 10 we sheet rocked the machine room ceiling and walls with two layers of 1/2" rock.  finished running electrical, mounted the sub panel and built a palet (on locking casters) for the 97lb 5kva isolation transformer.

Day 10 Front Wall

Day 10 Sub Panel

Day 10 Transformer

j.hall

Re: Basement Renovation....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »

took me a while to get this pic up

we actually did this work wednesday of last week. and have since moved on to other jobs i haven't taken pics of.

day 11:

two layers of 1/2" sheet rock on the ceiling.....i now can honestly give my full respect to full time sheet rockers.  this is brutal work, and i ate enough sheet rock dust to hold me over till breakfast the next day!!!

with out a roto zip this job would be pure agony!

Day 11 Ceiling

since then, we've done two layers of mud and tape....need to sand and continuing mudding.  and i'm almost done with all the caulking.

NelsonL

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 02:45:10 AM »

Day 10 Transformer[/quote]

Damn dude, your shop has some "big iron!"

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 10:31:10 AM »

day 12:

damn, day 12?  if i had more time to work on this thing, i'd have been done weeks ago. hahahahaha

all right, i've finished all the caulking.  and all the fiber board is up.  i bought some foam board nails that come with plastic washers installed.  i cut half the washer off so i could get themm up close to the stud.  i sued these to hold the fiber board in place.

we cut the fiber board to fit very tight in the stud spaces and probably didn't need the nails, but we figured, might as well have some insurance.  i'm not going to finish this space off just to have a piece of fiber board work itself loose and  render that trap useless.

if any of you are doing a project like this, i can get you specifics on what we used and how we installed it.

note:  since i have electrical boxes in some stud spaces, they need to air tight as well.  i caulked all the way around them, and i caulked all the entry holes into them.  EVERYTHING is sealed off.  like i said, i'm not going to all this effort just to skimp on one little thing that will end up creating problems later.

i'm WAY over budget, but there's no turning back now.  it has to get done, and it HAS to be right.

Day 12 Front Wall

Day 12 Back Wall

some spaces were particularily hard to work around and we had to get creative with how we cut the fiber board.  if anyone wants some close up details of any of that just let me know.

one thing to note, we used 8 full sheets (4'x10') of 7 pound density 1" thick fiber board to do this space.  about 5 sheets in our razor knives started having trouble.  they look fine, but have been dulled down.  you need a good sharp knife to cut this stuff.  it cuts like butter witha fresh blade, cuts like a plastic knife on a steak with a dull blade.

chachi

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 01:57:32 PM »

we're doing this right now too.  are you doing your own electrical?  i feel like i could run the romex, but are you guys doing more than that yourselves?

oh, and i'm new here, so sorry if you've talked about this before, but what's the transformer for?

thanks,
alex

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 02:28:08 PM »

hit the link at the top of this thread to go back to the "recpit archive" and scan through the beginning of this renovation, the electrical issues are covered pretty heavily in there.

basically, the transformer merely isolates my audio gear from any line noise that might happen from the house.

yes, i'm doing all the work myself, the two guys helping me are doing some of it too.

currently i have one more wire to run (ground wire from my grounding rod to my main service panel) and then the whole thing will be ready for hook up.

i worked for an electrician a few summers in high school and then i did low volt work (alarms, CATV, phones, CCTV) for a few years after that.

doing this myself is no big deal.  if you don't have much knowledge of electrical service, you should hire a certified electrician to do all the hook up for you.

BTW, all circuits that audio gear plugs into must be home run back to your service panel or sub panel.  other circuits don't matter.

hope this helps,
j.hall

chachi

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 04:10:22 PM »

awesome thred.  what do the transformers run?  

thanks,
alex

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 04:46:13 PM »

oh man......

how much current do you want?

my trannie will do a max of 40 amps, can be hooked up at 240, or 120, and can do step down and isolation.

i bought it on ebay for 350, cost 60 bucks to ship, and new it probably cost 1200 bucks.

you really have to know what you need, and know what to look for if you choose to hit ebay.  but once you get some research done, ebay is where it's at.

just make sure it's been tested....."the david riddle company" does big power stuff and they are on ebay, that's who i bought from....and they were great to deal with.  went the extra mile to make sure they were selling me the right thing

at 97 pounds, who wants to get the wrong thing.....

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »

no pics this time....just figured i'd update the current status

found a really cool product for minimizing sanding of mudd dust

5 gal. buck that hooks up to a shop vac and attaches to a sander.  put a screen on it, kick on the shop vac, and it sucks it into the bucket as you sand......AWESOME

priming the staircase paneling and hallway, and sanding the last layer of mud and prepping for texturing the ceiling.

after that, clean up, and start hanging the 1/4" birch plywood.

floodstage

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 08:20:28 AM »

Where did you find that?  I've been keeping an eye out for one ever since I saw a contractor use one 3 years ago, but haven't found one.

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »

i'm not sure.  i'm doing this whole renovation with my dad, he brought it over a week ago and said he found it some place and grabbed it.

i'll ask him and let you know.

Beezoboy

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 11:57:18 AM »

Once again. . .

This just shows us how smart our dads really are.

If I need:

-Financial advice
-Motivation
-Home improvement advice
-Cooking
-Gardening
-and tons of other stuff

I ask my dad.

Beez

PS. Looking great J!!!

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 02:53:02 PM »

i grew up "holding the light" as i call it

working on cars, plumbing, electrical, paint, framing.....seriously, you name it, he can do it.....most everything with a good level of quality and skill

so, i pretty much held the light and learned.....in high school i was allowed to start tearing into cars and the like

now we just do all these projects together cause it goes so much faster with two people that don't need to do any hand holding.

if we could have gone at the basement every day full time, probably would have had it done in three weeks

Fibes

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 03:24:26 PM »

For ceilings I like to use the dust sucker too... hahahah except J. couldn't get it to work. J.?

Glad your dad got cleaned up after the hopper mishap.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 04:27:21 PM »

now you're using our personal friendship and phone calls against me......hahahahaha

yeah, i couldn't get the vaccuum set right.  the sanding "handle" kept sucking itself to the ceiling make it just about impossible to move it.  i sanded about a 4 sq foot area with NO DUST on the floor or me.....but just couldn't take it.....

maybe my shop vac was too strong, i don't know.

plus i didn't have poll attachment for the sanding vaccuum, that sucked!!!

got two coats of ceiling paint up last night and means......the ceiling is done

FINALLY

it's been the bane of my existance for two months now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.