R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 11 --- Discussions and techniques!  (Read 20146 times)

Ged Leitch

Re: WUMP 11 --- Discussions and techniques!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 07:59:31 AM »

present wrote on Fri, 27 April 2007 10:20

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 27 April 2007 02:18

Hello fellow audio dudes,

It's Ged here, not posted in a while, how's things??

Now there's a sight for sore eyes...

Ged! How ya doin?
I see you've grown a moustache? Very Happy

Seriously, I'd love to read your comments.

Good to have you back man,

best
rogier

(btw my comments are coming soon)

Hi Rogier, at least someone remembers me heh heh!! Laughing
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

present

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »

Here are my comments...

First of all, kudos to all, I think there were lots of good masters in there. A worthy WUMP guys

In numerical order:

0666 - Interesting. Whereas most made the mix a little brighter, you made it darker.
I see where you're coming from, but the vocals are a bit overwhelmed by the bass

1177 - Don't ask me why, but this one reminds me of the sound of Queen's Innuendo.
There's some strange phasing going on. Bass and acoustic guitars are clear, but the image is warped

1313 - Nice highs. There's a hollow ringing in there, like a resonant ambience.
I'm intrigued by this one, it has a strong character

1413 - Really like this one. Respectful to the mix, but clearer in a nice way. I like the emphasized mid-highs. Just a tad tilted to the right. Still, one of my favourites

1527 - Nice. Also cleared things up, but I feel it does more for the instruments than the vocals, which are a little boxy. Overall good effort

1966 - Good eq choices. It's nice & clear. Dynamics a bit restless. I'm undecided about the widening, I like it with headphones on.

1976 - Very crisp. Very clean. Just a little muddy in the 200Hz region, but if I were the client I could definitely live with that.

2468 - Nice highs. I feel this one is a little boxy. Is it the compression? Vocals sound really good though

2902 - Done a great job making it clearer. I missed a little low-mid warmth, but not annoyingly so. Transients sound intact. Another one of my favourites

2932 - Yes. Nice. Detailed. The vocals and the acoustic guitars sound great. Drums too.
Vocals a little congested in the louder passages. But, as they say, a very good compromise overall.

3019 - Yet another clear one. Good eq. Lacking a little detail during the loudest bits. But I like what this one does for the bass.

3729 - I'm afraid I like this one too. It speaks to me. Nice warmth. Again missing some detail during loudest passages, but only the very loudest. The breakdown sounds great.

4335 - I like the warm eq. But it's a little middy and image is tilted to the right.
Eq makes the harmonica come forward, I like that

5608 - Nice restraint in the loudness department. Clear eq, maybe too much mid-high. A hint of distortion during the loud snare hit. But still, nice and clear

7481 - Again, nice eq. Maybe threw away a little too much 'mud'? I like the dynamics on this one.

7692 - Nice highs. I like this one. Just a bit restless, dynamically. Do I hear some harmonic enhancement? Works best in the softer bits

7879 - If only this one was 4 to 6 dB softer. I like the eq, but it's too distorted, too squashed

8182 - I like the EQ, but dynamically it doesn't really work. Nice warmth, maybe a bit middy

Ged Leitch - What is this racket?! Turn it off! No...very nice. Highs are great, it's warm.
Could have been louder, I think...1-2 dB. But details are intact, and that's how it should be, innit?

rogier

Patrik T

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »

hello everyone

3729 - good one

2902 - feels somewhat thin

0666 - boxy onto the lows, sounds like there was much brain involved

1177 - nasal, hollow and unpleasantly filtered

1313 - too much leaning onto the highs

1413 - rich, gentle, musical, nice. like 3019 but "fuller"

1966 - grainy feeling

1976 - true to the source and true to the sources edginess as well

2468 - sounds like too much de-essing or perhaps too much brain

2932 - sounds like the sound of the snare was very important?

3019 - maybe a slight alternation of the upper mids/lower highs would get it in total focus (compare it to 1413), it is nice

4335 - nice, like 1413's little sister/brother

7481 - a bit thin in lower mids

7692 - too much comping at spots

7897 - rich bottom and quite rich tone, gritty but in a good way

8182 - big but with some lack in the..."weight"

yours  sincerely
patrik

Ed Littman

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »

Quote:

Where Ed sees a lot of warmth I can not see anything else but dullness, and where he sees a progress in mastering attempts I have the feeling it is worse than ever.

Mastering is about respecting the mix & the client.You have done neither. It is not about making the song your own regardless if you have the info required(By the way...I posted what I was looking for & I'm a PM away).

If you can put a bit of your self into the vision of the client & music that can lead to a creative & successful result.

I find it interesting that most everybody has the same interpretation on your master, but unlike like most, your perception is that you've got it right we've got it wrong.

I give you credit for sticking by your beliefs, but it just does not make sense to me.....
Ed

Bob Boyd

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »

looks like some people might not have all of the entries.

By my count there were 19.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

NoWo

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 05:56:30 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Fri, 27 April 2007 08:16

NoWo wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 22:58

I will not be a part of a any further Wump because the differences in taste are too great, we simply live on different planets. So go on Wumping and do your best!

NoWo

yes i think this is true NoWo, so long.

can we please have some more comments on the tracks please

Okay, why not.

But before I start let me tell you one thing:
By a mistake of mine I downloaded my own submission from Brad

NoWo

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Fri, 27 April 2007 19:43

Mastering is about respecting the mix & the client.You have done neither. It is not about making the song your own regardless if you have the info required(By the way...I posted what I was looking for & I'm a PM away).

If you can put a bit of your self into the vision of the client & music that can lead to a creative & successful result.

I find it interesting that most everybody has the same interpretation on your master, but unlike like most, your perception is that you've got it right we've got it wrong.

I give you credit for sticking by your beliefs, but it just does not make sense to me.....
Ed

Hi Ed,

let us don

Ed Littman

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 08:50:11 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 20:18

By the way Ed, loved the guitar solo man!!

Ged

Thanks!
Ed

present

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »

Well...?

aivoryuk

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 11:17:14 AM »

present wrote on Mon, 30 April 2007 12:30

Well...?

well what???

seems no further discussion here  Sad

Ed Littman

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »

Only 8 reviews??
wumping is not just tweeking, it's doing the hard part of critiquing 20 submissions Shocked .
lets go.....
Ed

KAyo

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »

Ello!

A list, in no particular order :-
A great WUMP, as always..

7692  A harshness which styles, but, also exhausting at lengths.
7897  Fluffy, and boom-my mid low/low... Also, looses band contrasts.
8182  Features well, but has lost sprite/ and aspect clarity.
0666  Cool but cloudy, and loss of resolution.
7481  More punch needed, perhaps. I like the stability the master offers, and it feels very safe, but more edge and snap would have helped.
0276  Very surprised, and not surprised!…. One in every WUMP, who burns rubber and smokes the house out.. hahahhaa.. a lot of feelings here.. High & Multiple ratios/squeeze/strapping/tightening.. etc.. etc.. . ..  to compressed!
3729  Inventive, and still natural sounding. Clear and precise.
2932  spur-of-the-moment, is the feeling, I got...  Could bring in.. .   or perhaps, dare I say, add in more personal emotion type of element to give it an interesting perimeter. That’s what I’d like! But, very listen-able.. Don’t worry about that.
3019  Gleam! Is what it is…? Carefully handled, with a breeze of impartiality, blowing within the bands ... but still, too much Gleam!.. : ?
4335  Yet again, a breeze to listen too. Works for the mix!
5608  A little rough around the edges, and at times, a little anxious, and squeezed sounding.
1313  slightly squeezed, but very enduring!!
2902  maybe, a tad bit fluffy, but it’s nice and woody, with lush air...
1177  interestingly eccentric! Has lost a lot of body though-
1413  fastidiously done! Nice touch. Perhaps; a little more edge would have helped.
1527  Feels frazzled a lot of roar and maybe over cooked in places!
1966  I got used to it, straight away! But, in comparing …the squared out high-end stands out a little too much, “yaknawhatimean”. But, I still like it!
1976  Cool calm and composed. Enjoying, as I write… But, I am a very picky b@st*rd! And,…  blah ablah blab.. and I Prefer..blahablahh bla!
2468  Perhaps   a slightly elevated envelope, for the high mid region… But, I am still listening, and I do find it, some what pleasant.

Enjoyed the whole gambit of approaches and choices taken.

Cheers all.
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

present

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 02:01:16 PM »

Cheers KAyo!

Good comments

regards
rogier

KAyo

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »

A quick whip!

On looking back, and having lived with the track for some time now.  I would like to point out, how unique this track really was... VERY unique! Not only, does it taste different, but, its aroma is so very unique too. A pearl of a track...

The more you hear it, the more you recognize, how exclusive and at times how odd (the acquired taste odd Smile … this track felt... It has a tasty music style, an unquestionably great recording session and an original mix blade, full of virtue...
That very feeling! Is GOLD!

Thus, big thanks to Ed, for sharing, the now, and the yet more to come….
And a “Hip-Hip” ... For Brad! The quintessential cyber host...  Cool

Thanks...All
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Ed Littman

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »

Thanks to the submissions i redid mine to a much greater satisfaction. i wont bore you with this version, but i did notice submissions 1177,1413,1527,& 0276 Inverted.
Not that this is a sonic problem, but some clients may notice & give you crap. check you wires boys. this happened to me after I installed my crookwood router. i chased it down to a breakout cable that was outsourced by crispin.

Are there any more comments to be submitted(there should be) or should we get to the process & see why i'm a knuckle head??
Ed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.