R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Setting a deadline for withdrawal is setting a date for failure."  (Read 5065 times)

Die BREMSSPUR

Re: "Setting a deadline for withdrawal is setting a date for failure."
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 03 May 2007 20:44

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 14:49

I believe it is our duty and obligation to go around the world solving problems.

Then Iraq ahould have been WAY down the list.

You were all up for Rwanda then? -Howzabout Darfur?

No. -What was I thinking? -The Bush admin's myopic focus on "Islamic Fascists" means that we have to keep having tea on teh lawn with the Sudanese govt, while they condone and enable the murder of tens of thousands.

Another scone, Tik? -Or are you already on plane to Africa?

Keith

Well,

I spent time supporting a Rwanda mission.

During the genocide.

Butt....

I'm sure you can tell me all about it.

Then you can repeat what you heard on NPR about the U.S. involvement in Rwanda and what choices were made on the ground and in the air.

So...

what's up....

Also,

we all do our part.  Glad you are making it personal.  I am very grateful to this forum for forcing me to focus on social issues...

You wanna call me out?

Let's do it over a bier or on the phone.

Or do you just wanna talk shit?

The texas hat rack has nothing to do with 'merica's performance or the people who make a difference.  I didn't vote for him and I believe my point was to offer another point of view and to challenge people to think.  Not to deride them personally.

Butt yes, I think we should be involved in Darfur.  And everywhere else....

So I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to you for trying to start a music studio during this period of my life.

And when I walk through the woods to the next small village I feel guilty about it every step of the way.

So take your sanctimonius attitude and stick it up your fucking ass <expletive deleted:although I felt this way at the time, after a few biers...well I still feel that way but...>

So to answer your question.

Yeah, I was all up for Rwanda.  And the solution was simple wasn't it?

lemme nough...

tik
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Les Ismore

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 05:29:35 PM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 11:49

Sorry.

As to your final question.

I believe it is our duty and obligation to go around the world solving problems.

So there you go...

Someone with an opposite view point.

What an arrogant pile of bile.
Americans are in no position either on a skill level or a moral level to solve anyones problems. They can't even solve thier own problems.

And an awful lot of the world thinks that they are the problem. And more every day thanks to this.

Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »

Les Ismore wrote on Sat, 05 May 2007 23:29

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 11:49

Sorry.

As to your final question.

So there you go...

Someone with an opposite view point.

What an arrogant pile of bile.
Americans are in no position either on a skill level or a moral level to solve anyones problems. They can't even solve thier own problems.

And an awful lot of the world thinks that they are the problem. And more every day thanks to this.

Yeah,

Most people think I'm arrogant.

Maybe...

If you'd pull your head out of your ass, you could possibly name about fifty or so countries we have helped acquire freedom...

Maybe you can throw a concert about it or something...

In any case...

I hope that my input has helped foster an alternative view.

It is my desire that you guys think.

Then think some more.

I hope that you would be critical about everything you are being fed.

I hope that you would form your opinions based on personal experiences and not "sources"

I hope that you guys cheer up....

good bye...

good luck in everything you do.

tik
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Jay Kadis

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »

Actually, tik has a point: the people of the US are extremely lucky to enjoy such great freedom, wealth and opportunity and we do owe the rest of the world the help they need to achieve similar good fortune.  But we can't do it by force.  There is a history of doing the wrong things for the right reasons and it's time we broke from that tradition.

We should help struggling democracies as best we can, but we cannot create democracies where they are resisted by the very people we seek to help.  We can only lead by example and hope our example is sufficient to motivate others to seek help.  Recently the example is doing the opposite.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Sun, 06 May 2007 17:40

Yeah,

Most people think I'm arrogant.

Maybe...

If you'd pull your head out of your ass, you could possibly name about fifty or so countries we have helped acquire freedom...

Oh really? Name them.

You're probably going to name countries liberated in the second world war, well they hardly qualify as examples of some moral crusade, the US was two years late joining the party, Germany declared war on the US, not vice-versa, and in the meantime the US profited from both sides.

Not saying your help wasn't much appreciated when it happened, nor do I mean any disrespect to those who fought and died, just that the image often portrayed of America the wonderful altruistically going to the aid of Europe is rather distorted.

Since then, how many countries have you helped to liberate through force? Off the top of my head I can think of South Korea and Kuwait, both of which were as parts of large coalitions (as was World War 2 in fact).

And more relevantly in this context, how many countries have you helped to liberate by force not from a foreign invader, but from their own government, and which have ended up better than they started?

And how many dictators have you installed or helped keep in power?

What problems have you solved in Iraq?

For the rest of the world, you've taken a country which was no danger to them, and turned it into a terrorist recruitment advert.

For Iraq's immediate neighbours you've increased islamic militancy, making it harder for moderates to influence government and society... notice how Iran, where the moderates were actually getting somewhere, has gone more hardline since the invasion?

As for Iraq itself, you've got rid of a single evil threat (Saddam) but the vaccuum created allowed a bunch of evil threats to get in. So where in the past the people just had to worry about Saddam and co, now if they're too nice to the Sunnis, the Shias will kill them, if they're too nice to the Shias, the Sunnis will kill them, and if they manage to avoid getting killed by both those lots, and to avoid illness and death through the destruction of their infrastructure, then they could end up getting killed by the Americans.

You've talked about the poverty in Iraq, well the main reason for the extreme poverty in Iraq before the invasion was that some bright spark had the idea of imposing trade sanctions on the country. For some reason they thought that the way to get a psychopathic and sociopathic dictator to do what you want him to is to make his people suffer... huh??

Since then what has been done to help? Well the first step was to destroy their infrastructure... erm ok... then to throw away 11 billion of THEIR money (oil revenues that had been held onto by the United Nations and were released to the US on the understanding that they were to be used for the rebuilding of Iraq), which was squandered, embezelled, lost and stolen. The US has also used its position to grant huge rebuilding contracts to US firms.

so if it your duty and obligation to go around the world solving problems, you really need to get a hell of a lot better at your job.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 07:33:02 AM »

Fuck yeah!

http://www.yourstandardlife.com/images/team-america-world-police-1.jpg

...not that I happen to agree, however. Clean up your shit first, before trying to babysit the world. Kind of.

Noa the lemur, aka "Lemur Noa"
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.