R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: helical absorption columns  (Read 3133 times)

djwaudio

helical absorption columns
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:49:48 PM »

Hi Everyone,
While in my quest for understanding how a tube trap works (ASC style), I heard mention of something that might be preferable called a helical absorption column.

Does anyone have any information on these?
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Ethan Winer

Re: helical absorption columns
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »

I've seen lots of hare-brained explanations for how a tube trap works, but it's really quite simple. A tube trap is rigid fiberglass which as we all know works well when placed in a corner. Just like any other bass trap made from rigid fiberglass. There's no magic to a round shape, and as with all bass traps made from fiberglass the larger and thicker it is, the better it works. Yes, it's that simple.

djwaudio wrote on Mon, 14 May 2007 17:49

Hi Everyone,
While in my quest for understanding how a tube trap works (ASC style), I heard mention of something that might be preferable called a helical absorption column.

Wes Lachot

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Tue, 15 May 2007 11:26

I've seen lots of hare-brained explanations for how a tube trap works, but it's really quite simple. A tube trap is rigid fiberglass which as we all know works well when placed in a corner. Just like any other bass trap made from rigid fiberglass. There's no magic to a round shape, and as with all bass traps made from fiberglass the larger and thicker it is, the better it works. Yes, it's that simple.

djwaudio wrote on Mon, 14 May 2007 17:49

Hi Everyone,

Ethan,

With all due respect, the guy that invented the TubeTraps (Art Noxon) explained to me once that they do have some membrane absorption going on, as well as the fiberglass absorption. And they have two sides to them, one absorptive and one reflective. The reflective side, being round, does have some diffusive properties, although not as efficient as a QRD type diffusor.

--Wes
Wes Lachot Design
weslachot.com

Ethan Winer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »

Wes,

> With all due respect, the guy that invented the TubeTraps (Art Noxon) explained to me once that they do have some membrane absorption going on, as well as the fiberglass absorption. <

Agreed, and the plastic membrane is similar in concept to FRK rigid fiberglass or the plastic membrane we use in RealTraps. I guess I should have been clearer. There's a large cult out there that believes tube traps are pressure devices rather than velocity absorbers, and that's what I really meant to address. If you go to the appropriately named Tweaker's Asylum you'll find loads of outright wrong information about how tube traps work.

> The reflective side, being round, does have some diffusive properties, although not as efficient as a QRD type diffusor. <

Agreed there too. As I read Dana's original question it was more about round shapes than ASC's specific tube trap product.

BTW, great to see you here Wes!

--Ethan

djwaudio

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »

EW wrote:  "...believes tube traps are pressure devices rather than velocity absorbers"

DW: That's what I would intuitively believe as well. The head scratcher comes from looking at Art's exploded view of his trap. There is a bulkhead divider in there. Wouldn't that imply there is some action with pressure as well as velocity?

http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/studiotrap-flyer.pdf

Scroll down to see the view.

Thanks for the replies so far!
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Ethan Winer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Thu, 17 May 2007 00:09

There is a bulkhead divider in there. Wouldn't that imply there is some action with pressure as well as velocity?

I don't see how because rigid fiberglass is a porous material.

--Ethan

tom eaton

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »

I would assume the bulkheads are simply to maintain shape...

-tom

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.