R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Tape Bounce (?)  (Read 17246 times)

Andrew Hamilton

Re: Analog Tape Bounce (?)
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2007, 04:43:43 PM »

Here's our ATR-102.  It has the stock Tranex-equipped In/Out modules and also an ATR Services custom snake for unbalanced In/Out.  

I was told by Millennia Media that I could probably use their HV-3C 2-channel mic pre for this application.  I have yet to test this.  

There is a head assembly fitted with Ampex 1/4" 2-track erase, record, and repro heads, as well as a 1/4-track repro head which uses the Sync path.  The other head assembly has 1/2" 2-track extended frequency response metal heads by Electro Magnetic Components (EMC).  Both assemblies (and now the Audio cards) were worked on by Jeff Gilman of MDI Precision Motorworks.  This machine has extender boards for the Audio cards and also for the In/Out modules.  I tweak all of the adjustments myself before each project, just to be safe.  This includes the 0 VU = +4 dBm with -5 dBm internally settings as well as scrutinizing the health of the 432 kHz sq. wave bias frequency (on the 465M Tek) or the tension (I use the trimpots only - no tentelometer) or the 96 kHz internal clock.  Hey, my ADC is only set to 88.2!  (:    

No lab coat, sorry.  I'm also the janitor and cheif executive officer.  So I usually dress like a bum.

I'm about to rent it out to a guy mixing some songs for the Aussie group, The Stems.  I have recommended 15 ips with IEC I, as the speed/eq.   They can also try it at 30-AES, but having read Jay's paper on NAB, I realize that 15-NAB would only exacerbate the LOTTO effect and is like painting thin lines with a spoon if using today's formulae.

index.php/fa/5004/0/

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

carlsaff

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »

"Artsy" pic of my cantankerous (but lovely-sounding) MCI JH-110C... one of the random pics from the intro page of my site:

http://www.saffmastering.com/images/room05.jpg

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2007, 06:41:14 PM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Tue, 01 May 2007 06:43

I have recommended 15 ips with IEC I, as the speed/eq.   They can also try it at 30-AES, but having read Jay's paper on NAB, I realize that 15-NAB would only exacerbate the LOTTO effect and is like painting thin lines with a spoon if using today's formulae.

Andrew

IEC EQ can give you better high frequency response at 15ips than NAB.
I also used an Otari MX55 (1/4" 2-track with time code & HX Pro) for National Archives stuff, IEC, cal 320nW/m from memory (basf/emtec 911).
For layback work at 15ips it was with Telcom C4 NR - brilliant.
For most use on rock material @ 30ips of course no NR required. The MCI was AES EQ modded to be flat to something like 30Hz @ 30ips but you can't go past that Ampex machine sound IMO (when it's called for). Some LF head bump expected. Though I, too, would much rather master from analogue 2-track than 'layback' to it...

Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

Gold

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Mon, 30 April 2007 15:04

But I didn't get scientific, I just hooked it up

Shhh. You'll ruin your reputation as a genius.

Sounds like a plan.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

Nice machine, Carl.  It seems to be the same model as that used by my mentor, Dave Davis, and which is still sitting in his old mastering room at QCA, Inc., Cincinnati.   A detail is available at http://www.go-qca.com/mastering/studio.html  (scroll down... images on left.)

They have a nice room with SC/IV-As and the machine is now in a machine room (the length of a remote control cable away).

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Larrchild

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »

Paul, you probably know this, but when manufacturers ditched the tape head input transformer and went to a straight connection between head and amp in the 70's, they made increased inductance heads. Those are the ones that tube stuff probably likes best.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

carlsaff

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Mon, 30 April 2007 19:30

Nice machine, Carl.  It seems to be the same model as that used by my mentor, Dave Davis, and which is still sitting in his old mastering room at QCA, Inc., Cincinnati.

Thanks! I like it, and though I'd like to have an ATR-102 (there are many, many things I'd like to have), I can't fault the sound.

Gold

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:35 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Mon, 30 April 2007 20:40

Paul, you probably know this, but when manufacturers ditched the tape head input transformer and went to a straight connection between head and amp in the 70's, they made increased inductance heads. Those are the ones that tube stuff probably likes best.

I didn't know this. My A80VU has that type of head for 1/2" but for 1/4" it has a lower inductance head. I have two different types of electronics.  They're thowing 440's in the dumpster these days. Do you think either head type would work with those? I like the sound of those but have never been fond of the transport.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Larrchild

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 11:32:20 PM »

Box of snakes.
Stay away.

noise floor sucks.

But yeah, they used a step up xfmr in the repro, I think.
Should work.

Maybe de-noise it later with some quieter transistors up front.

Andy Krehm, I just had a thought, and it wasn't a good one. Is that 3 - way switch on the head wires themselves? cause that could put pops on tape from voltage shifts during switching.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Masterer

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sun, 29 April 2007 04:50

..... I greatly preferred the Analog Tape version. The tape compression and "gluing" effect was exactly what it needed. The Phoenix version was very good, with possibly a little more overall clarity, but the ATR version just had that special quality that "sounds like a record"... maybe it's just my old school ears and a suitable style of music.

And besides, it's a shame to just let an ATR sit there idle most of the time, waiting.

Curious how many of you guys are giving digital mixes an Analog Tape Bounce, how often, and any other observations.

JT

That lovely "gluing" effect you're hearing is tape hiss and to a lesser degree, distortion. Just think of it as the best damn dither you ever did hear.

Music without hiss is like London without fog... sometimes.
Chris Athens

I believe your record has reached it's "loudness potential"

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »

Masterer wrote on Tue, 01 May 2007 10:38

That lovely "gluing" effect you're hearing is tape hiss and to a lesser degree, distortion. Just think of it as the best damn dither you ever did hear.

Hey Chris, good to hear from you. So you've used the technique as well, I'm not surprised!

Have you ever tried the 1" ATR? ...just curious.

Tape noise as dither... what a concept! ... and the ear friendly distortion, yes I guess to a degree, all us "baby boomers" were raised on it.

But what I was really going for was the tape compression. The material was so overly dynamic & bright, with loud sibilant vocals... the Manley couldn't quite handle the job. So when the idea light went on for more compression, I thought of the ATR.

David Hough, my tech guru had recently been in and tweaked the machine, so it was ready to rock and roll. BTW DC, the Scope comes and goes with Hough, when he comes to check the bias and fine tune the machine. Not totally tech impaired, I'm pretty handy with the multimeter, soldering iron, and phase scope, but it's been years since I touched an oscilloscope.... so I let my tech peeps do it... at least for now.

Although I agree with Brad that most of the time Transparency is key, in this case the tape compression, slight loss of detail, small amount of added tape hiss & distortion (however small), with a hint of cloudiness in the low midrange were the cure...

Oh yeah, I burned the master with Sonic PMCD... it's bright dithering brought back some detail ; - )

Cheers - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Masterer

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 01 May 2007 13:54

Masterer wrote on Tue, 01 May 2007 10:38

Have you ever tried the 1" ATR? ...just curious.

Yeah, just for playback though. Never printed to it.

Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 01 May 2007 13:54

Tape noise as dither... what a concept! ... and the ear friendly distortion, yes I guess to a degree, all us "baby boomers" were raised on it.

Like heifers on corn.
Chris Athens

dcollins

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2007, 03:33:40 AM »

Masterer wrote on Tue, 01 May 2007 18:30

Like heifers on corn.

Where is the Kobe compressor?  I hear they get plenty beer and massages, before they are well...........marbled.

DC

Masterer

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 03:33

Like heifers on corn.

Where is the Kobe compressor?  I hear they get plenty beer and massages, before they are well...........marbled.

DC

Mmmmmm........ marbled.

Hey, you might be on to something.  Hiss and distortion are like fat - too much ain't good for ya, but that's where the flavor is.

Chris Athens

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »

Masterer wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 11:38

dcollins wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 03:33

Like heifers on corn.

DC

Mmmmmm........ marbled.

Hey, you might be on to something.  Hiss and distortion are like fat - too much ain't good for ya, but that's where the flavor is.

Food as metaphor for compression... there's a concept I can sink my teeth into!

Kobe Beef = ATR 1/2" lay back with Manley compression

Natural Free Range Chicken = Crane Song STC8 with a little HEDD

Organic Tofu = Weiss Digital Compression

The Food Replicator on Star Trek = Sintefex FX2000

with an oscilloscope as a taste tester.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.