R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Second Best Musician Ever  (Read 35170 times)

Mott

Re: The Second Best Musician Ever
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2007, 05:25:01 AM »

Jimi Hendrix

Barkley McKay

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2007, 06:46:15 AM »

Bill Evans

G.Hunt

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 28 April 2007 21:54

phantom309 wrote on Sat, 28 April 2007 22:43

1. Frank Sinatra
2. Duke Ellington

I know you didn't ask for number one, but there ya go.

I didn't have to ask.

The answer was obvious.

No one else is even close.

Great choice for number two as well!

1. Mozart
2. Beethoven
Gareth Hunt
Sound Engineer

tom eaton

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 08:01:57 AM »

I'm amazed Stevie Wonder has not made the list.

Strangely, I think many of the best musicians of the last century or so have appeared on zillions of records and the general public has no idea who they are.  Steve Gadd, Jamerson, Chet Atkins, Matt Rollings, etc.

-t

phantom309

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »

No, music is not a competition (unless you're Van Cliburn, a grammy nominee, sweating the Tchaikovsky, looking at a level 400 Jury at Julliard ......) but this was just a good natured way to acknowledge perceived greatness. Sinatra was, for me the most well accomplished interpreter of the music he chose to sing. Unfettered, pure vocal ability with the psychic peephole that showed us how much he meant every word.

Ellington offers a thousand reasons to marvel, but one thing really grabs me about his arrangements: his mastery and composistional use of diminished structures. He and Stravinsky are two rare cases where these harmonies are not just a tangential  device or V chord substitution to develop tension in tired bebop changes. It borders on Mihaud type bi-tonalism, but it's much more melodic and subtle.

I doubt very seriously that either one of these guys needed any second thought, special  gear, producers or encouragement to be great musicians. That's rare company.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

compasspnt

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2007, 11:19:07 AM »

Well considered David.

And your intricate explanation of Ellington's amazing greatness, preceded by the choice of Sinatra as even greater, says it all.

The combination of Sinatra with the incredible talents of Nelson Riddle, facilitated by the visionary Voyle Gilmore, and backed by a roomful of the second-best musicians of the time, recorded by astute audio engineers utilising new, perfect-condition U-47's through Western Electric circuitry, in a large and beautiful sounding room supplemented by excellent purpose-built echo chambers, is absolutely devastating.

Then add to the mix this incredible combination performing Ellington's zenith "Mood Indigo," and the result is the absolute greatest, most sonically and artistically stunning recording of all time.

RSettee

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2007, 12:28:09 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Sat, 28 April 2007 20:56

William Wittman can't quite decide whether it is Donald Fagen or Walter Becker. One of them has to be #2.

Hahaa. Still with the WW teasing?  Very Happy

Seriously though, how does one judge the merits of guitar, versus the merits of drums, versus singing, etc? Lenny Breau has to be the greatest guitar player that I believe i've ever heard (2nd is up for grabs from many people). Then you also have influence, which often isn't necessarily equated with originality, but is undoubtedly an important factor. Even though i'm a huge Neil Young is neither a great singer nor great guitar player, but it's his own style that makes him great--that messy style, like a Keith Richards--is more about feel that actual technicity. So to even compare him to an EVH or Angus Young or someone like that is just on such a different playing field.

R. David Stone

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »

Art isnt a competition. With the exception of music that is designed simply to sell records (IE.  Pop music)  I feel that if you say smething sucks...then you are really rejecting the person.  kinda like if you dont like someone simply because of how they carry themselves, or how the look.  I feel that music is personal, in most cases.  I also know people who play a certain style of music but, never really give you the goods.  The dude from Crowbar is a phenominal guitar player but, he never ripped it up in their songs.  noone is the best.  its all an expression of an individual

Barkley McKay

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »

Is it about musicality or musicianship?

I remember getting into a heated discussion with a jazz student who derided the ability of pop musicians over those of jazz musicians. In my view, the technical ability of say, Charlie Parker did not make him a greater musician (even though he obviously is) than The Beatles (sorry!)

barks

wwittman

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Sun, 29 April 2007 03:19

When Frank is the best, Elvis should be second...

Yes, but I like him better with the original Attractions, more than with the band he has now.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

R. David Stone

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »

I guess my point was that I dont believe in comparing.  I cant say John Lennon is a better musician than say.....Elvis  Because I cant say John is a better person than Elvis.  I believe that all art is just another medium for someone to express themselves.  So, to compare is really just comparing people.  The only music I dont like is pretentious mainstream garbage that major lables put together simply to sell an image.  if it takes 5 songwriters and 1 person to write lyrics, and another fashion designer...a dance choreographer etc.... you arent really getting any of the performers personality.  You are getting...a can of Coke...with 30% more.   Or something.  Did Elvis write all of his music??  No.  However, in the beginning he was innocent and clean and did form an ensamble that sparked a legacy.  Best musician? probably not.  Lennon wasnt  (technically) either.  Yet, I get a different vibe from both and thats all that matters.  I associate lennons music with a specific feeling as I do Elvis with a different feeling.  To me it isnt a competition.  To me its a matter of..do you want to experience this persons ideas for a while?

John Ivan

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »

It's someone new almost every day for me. There are so many great Musicians in the world. Stevie Wonder is one of my very very favorite musicians.

I've heard people play live and thought to my self,, {Man, music never has to be better than that!ever!},, So, it could be a guy blowin' Organ in a club somewhere or a drummer doing his job. Music is such a 'right now' experience that the best Musician in the world ends up being the person who is making me feel great at the moment. I'm a total slut.. Shocked

Stevie Ray Vaughan amazed me. The most killer phrasing ever. He plays two notes and they are perfect. He plays 200,000 notes and they are perfect. He just had "IT".. Wonderful.

Brent Carter singing "Willing to Learn" on Tower of Powers' 1999 Live Record, is one of the greatest Male soul performances ever.

It's all just so great..

Ivan..................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

R. David Stone

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »

I agree John.  Ive been in a situation where Ive free formed with a group of strangers and regreted that it didnt get recorded.  Were we the best musicians???  So, you're right.  its a here and now experience.  A friend went to see Foo Fighters. ( he seriously was not a fan) A couple days later I asked him how the show was and he said it was the best concert he ever saw.  Ive seen Lenny Kravitz on SNL sound 3 times heavier than his cd portrays.  Its all about attitude and communication.  Skill helps.  But, what is the musician trying to say?  that to me is what matters.  Maybe that attitude makes for great recordings as well...maybe

rankus

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »

I'm going to have to go with Sir Paul as well.  The muse is strong with him it is...

Stevie Wonder can share that with him on off days though....

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

danickstr

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »

1. Moat zart (tom hulce)
2. Bay-toven  (gary oldman)
3. Sade  I love her.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.