R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?  (Read 4062 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:29:58 pm »

Reasons to upgrade: (not the 200 listed by Digi)

a)a few studios in the city already have at least hd: 96k, higher track count, better a/d (not HD Accel);

b)mix hardware is gone obsolete, losing more of its value everyday and got 2 refurbishled mix systems here;

c)locked to G4 dual or a few early generation G5s only;

d)If one waits a bit longer the distance from a top notch system will be even $$$$$;

e)some great tools only available for Accel;

f)Plug-in developers also abandoned mix systems;

* reasons not to upgrade:
a)extreme stability with the current mix4;

b) a better front end (Apogee, Mytek, Pendulum)is much more important than having the a/d HD Interfaces;

c)Not really that cheap yet;

d)actual system still brings money;

e)96k and higher track count not necessary and not requested by clients;

f)repay TC, Waves, Mc DSP upgrades;

Still in doubt.. and I have to decide this till monday...

(Current: Mix4 OS 9.2 G4 800 QS TDM 1GB RAM 5.1.3/6.x 3 Adat Bridges into 02R96)
(Future: HD2 Accel 10.4.x MAc Pro 2.66 1GB RAM 7.3.x 1 Adat Bridge 24 bit + 192 I/O Digital)

Thanks for any opinions!
Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

j_u2005

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:49:48 pm »

has it paid for itself? If it hasn't, I wouldn't upgrade. Plus I'd kill for that equipment you've got.

If you do upgrade, find somewhere to store that old stuff, it'll be the equivalent of old reel to reel in 10 years time and you'll get a totally retro crowd wanting to use it. Hasn't the ADAT technology already got a following? I know I want to use it after finding out UYI 1&2 was recorded with it.
Logged

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:40:52 pm »

cool!
Smile
Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

grantis

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1407
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 05:11:26 am »

you don't need HD2 if you're going mac pro.  the HD1 PCIe has accel chips already as opposed to the HD1 PCI (which doesn't).

you can save $3000 if you go HD1, and have PLENTY of tracks.
Logged
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

compasspnt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16266
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:34:08 pm »

When in doubt, don't upgrade.
Logged

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 08:34:03 pm »

ok.
Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Podgorny

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1491
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »

Yeah, hold off.
You'll know when you NEED to upgrade.
Logged
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Randall Squires

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 03:28:30 am »

Switch to Nuendo, and buy some Lynx's. You're ears will thank you, and so will your bank account!
I was looking to go either PTHD or Nuendo w/Lynx's. The cost savings of going with the Nuendo/lynx was somewhere around 25k, and the Nuendo rig sounds MUCH better.
r
Logged

grantis

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1407
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:47 am »

25k????  the entire HD rig is no more than......15k, maybe 18k with multiple I/O's.

at that level, everything sounds good....it's just preference.
Logged
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Randall Squires

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 05:10:48 pm »

Yeah, Sorry the rig that I priced out was for 32 i/o, Big Ben, CPU, Software, Cables, etc...
Logged

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 08:29:04 pm »

Based on my pockets, market and advising from over 20 different points of view from the DUC, RO, REP, GS and Womp, I decided to wait a little bit more.

Anyway... many thanks, guys. Just returned from a long day recording outside and decided not to upgrade.

Risky? Maybe.. if G4 dies, might find another one at ebay...

Nex month I complete 5 years doing occasional remote recording with the very same G4 and Mix system. It just grew in terms of Mix farms and RAM Memory. Never had any glitch!!Not even a pile of Adats gave me such spiritual peace.

Funny, there were situation where the backup system presented problems. LOL Famous ERROR 7!
And the Pt system with the G4 and IDE Ata drives never complained even for a glass of water.

BTW.. are there any members coming to Brazil and want to get rid of their HD systems?

If my system had not had its value reduced due to be labeled "refurbished", I certainly would have done the upgrade. But having this bad name, I have to give the seller much more gear and money.

So... let us go Pendulum Audio (already bought OCL2 - greatttt!, beats any plugin), Apogee, Dynaudio monitors and maybe a few Neumans or additional AudioTechnicas.

Thanks again and if there are any rumours, let us know.

Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

compasspnt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16266
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 10:22:05 am »

If something works well, use it!
Logged

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:50:43 pm »

Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

grantis

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1407
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 10:40:16 pm »

don't have one, but if i were to upgrade, that's EXACTLY what i'd get.
Logged
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 12:15:39 am »

sure!
With MC DSP Emerald PAck native I do not think I would go with Waves again. MAc Pro 2.66 has plenty of power, right?
Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

grantis

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1407
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 01:03:02 am »

yup
Logged
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 09:07:30 am »

Plug-in Bundles for HD2 Accel and Waves Upgrade prices
     #1150604 - 02/05/07 11:25 AM   Edit     Reply     Quote    





Funny, but Waves requires me that I pay U$1600 to upgrade my TDM Bundle II to go Accel/MAc Pro compatibility. It cost +-U$1200.

They just stopped selling the TDM Bundle II product and force me to go GOLD, which I do not need.

However, the Native versions are much cheaper. So, or we change brands (Mc DSP, etc) or go Native with Waves.
They have a Musicians Bundle II that is very similar to the old TDM II.


I have an eye at MC DSP Emerald Pack Native and also was thinking of an URS bundle.

so:
a)Is anyone else doing this, going native, as computer power is not more an issue with a MAc Pro?
( Iguess Waves native is RTAS and VST, right)?

b)Which URS bundle would you recommend me, having the basic but good compressors and EQ models?

c)TC MD3 seems to be a great product. Or should I stay with the limiter of MC DSP Emerald Pack?

Thanks

Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

grantis

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1407
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 11:40:33 pm »

don't know if this helps.....but....

the mac pro can handle just about anything you throw at it.  native card or DSP, it won't matter.  however....if you want the automatic latency compensation to work in PT, you must use TDM plugs, not native cards.

Logged
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 791
Re: To upgrade or not:deadline:April 30th. Opinions?
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 01:24:20 am »

ok.
Emerald Bundle native shall be a good product...
Logged
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up