R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: would you upgrade now?What is next for PT TDM?  (Read 6320 times)

studilaroche

Re: would you upgrade now?What is next for PT TDM?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

Al
Benjamin Price
studilaroche productions. inc.
Atlanta, GA

Tomas Danko

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 07:46:32 AM »

There are several valid points that you make, Brett.

However, I would agree that parts of Logic has a high threshold when it comes to figuring things out. This is the price for being a fully object oriented environment.

Not even the metronome is hard coded. It's "built" as an object within Logic. This gives the user a lot of power to accomplish things, at the cost of a steeper learning curve.

I'm a dedicated Logic user myself these days, so I may be biased. I still do think there are easier DAW's to wrap your head around at the get-go.

Then again, coming from Cubase or Pro Tools I'd say one should be able to compose music the very first day.

Ok, sorry for the hi-jacking of the thread!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

brett

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 12:46

There are several valid points that you make, Brett.

However, I would agree that parts of Logic has a high threshold when it comes to figuring things out. This is the price for being a fully object oriented environment.

Not even the metronome is hard coded. It's "built" as an object within Logic. This gives the user a lot of power to accomplish things, at the cost of a steeper learning curve.

I'm a dedicated Logic user myself these days, so I may be biased. I still do think there are easier DAW's to wrap your head around at the get-go.

Then again, coming from Cubase or Pro Tools I'd say one should be able to compose music the very first day.

Ok, sorry for the hi-jacking of the thread!

Not at all. Very relavent indeed.  I used Cakewalk, then Cubase, then DP, Then PT , now Logic. So, as you can see, I should be able to pilot any DAW, and I can. I used Logic first day with no problems. I didn't have a manual and didn't need it. The only thing that did get tricky was using multi-timbral Kontakt midi channels. HAving to create an object and input it to that channel with the midi channels activated was a little cumberson to figure out. Took me about an hour to figure it out. Protools is the best layout I have seen. Having everything accessible from the arrange window is brilliant. But the midi and editing options are limiting.

Even the piano roll and editing graphic resolution is horible in PT. But, it is  snap to learn. Probably the easiest.

I always like Cubase. And Cubase SX sounded great as well. Cakewalk Sonar was pretty cool too but a little to power hungry back when I was using it. I ended up upgarding to a mac and DP. I have found my way to Logic after working on a film with a composer who used it. I love it now!  

Not saying I won't buy Protools HD at some point but it doesn't make sense for me at this point. Logic does what I need and the new macs are so powerfull. So, my upgrade from my mix/logic system g4 dual 1.42 with an apogee 800 front end, will be to symphony and a new macpro.

The only thing keeping me on the PT rig was the plug-ins. Soundtoys, Sony, DaD... Now the ones I love are going to Native, so there is nothing holding me back.

Also, I use all in the box synths and modeling fx and PT hardware doesn't help when running those. It's all about native power anyway. I run BFD, Kontakt2, Amplitube, and Convo Verbs. PT HD doens't help make those work. So the MacPro is the next investment as my dual 1.42 bogs down when running these apps in usable numbers. I have to freeze and bounce to use them now.

It has never been a mix issue as it has been a native battle. So dedicated mix hardware is kind of useless to me. Symphony will do fine. With 1.5 ms latency I can real time monitor as well.  

Tomas Danko

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 04:04:44 AM »

brett wrote on Wed, 02 May 2007 18:51

Not at all. Very relavent indeed.  I used Cakewalk, then Cubase, then DP, Then PT , now Logic. So, as you can see, I should be able to pilot any DAW, and I can. I used Logic first day with no problems. I didn't have a manual and didn't need it. The only thing that did get tricky was using multi-timbral Kontakt midi channels. HAving to create an object and input it to that channel with the midi channels activated was a little cumberson to figure out. Took me about an hour to figure it out. Protools is the best layout I have seen. Having everything accessible from the arrange window is brilliant. But the midi and editing options are limiting.

Even the piano roll and editing graphic resolution is horible in PT. But, it is  snap to learn. Probably the easiest.

I always like Cubase. And Cubase SX sounded great as well. Cakewalk Sonar was pretty cool too but a little to power hungry back when I was using it. I ended up upgarding to a mac and DP. I have found my way to Logic after working on a film with a composer who used it. I love it now!  

Not saying I won't buy Protools HD at some point but it doesn't make sense for me at this point. Logic does what I need and the new macs are so powerfull. So, my upgrade from my mix/logic system g4 dual 1.42 with an apogee 800 front end, will be to symphony and a new macpro.

The only thing keeping me on the PT rig was the plug-ins. Soundtoys, Sony, DaD... Now the ones I love are going to Native, so there is nothing holding me back.

Also, I use all in the box synths and modeling fx and PT hardware doesn't help when running those. It's all about native power anyway. I run BFD, Kontakt2, Amplitube, and Convo Verbs. PT HD doens't help make those work. So the MacPro is the next investment as my dual 1.42 bogs down when running these apps in usable numbers. I have to freeze and bounce to use them now.

It has never been a mix issue as it has been a native battle. So dedicated mix hardware is kind of useless to me. Symphony will do fine. With 1.5 ms latency I can real time monitor as well.  

One should probably mention the UAD-1 DSP cards here, when weighing PT HD against something native. It makes a huge difference sound wise. For high end reverberation, the TC Powercore is very competent. I'm running a dual G5 2.7 GHz with two UAD-1 cards, one TC Powercore Firewire and an Access Virus TI Polar (over USB, acting as a plug-in). I have loads of power, and the CPUs barely lift a finger.

Al

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:29 AM »

Thomas, I decided to keep my G4 and at least one 16channel interface for remote recording. Upgrade still might happen. So the new rig is for satying at the studio only, with 1 24 bits adat Bridge and the 192I/O digital.THis is my main goal.
When tracking I rarely use plugins.
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Tomas Danko

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 09:10:50 AM »

Al

Max

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 07:25:29 PM »

brett wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 18:56

If Logic would figure out a way to have sends on buses we would not need PT at all. For me, and I use both, I like Logic over PT for creating and making music. But come mix down I have to get creative in Logic. I have to use inserts, like a reverb, after the delay and use the wet/dry function to acheive what I would normaly do by just sending my delay to the rev bus in PT.

You can do all of this with VBus. For those unfamiliar, VBus is a feature in the Symphony driver that provides unlimited routing possibilities in Logic and across multiple applications in any Symphony system.

The Symphony and Symphony Mobile drivers create an environment for the routing of Core Audio outputs to Core Audio input channels with zero delay. The Maestro Control Panel allows you to enable the VBus channels and can be used within Logic sessions as a bus simply by outputting to the VBus channels in your outgoing track and selecting them as an input to a record enabled track. The VBus channel names are clearly labeled and the number of additional VBus channels is selectable within Apple's Audio Midi Setup.

index.php/fa/5062/0/
Max Gutnik
Apogee Electronics

brett

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 01:45:44 AM »

Max wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 00:25

brett wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 18:56

If Logic would figure out a way to have sends on buses we would not need PT at all. For me, and I use both, I like Logic over PT for creating and making music. But come mix down I have to get creative in Logic. I have to use inserts, like a reverb, after the delay and use the wet/dry function to acheive what I would normaly do by just sending my delay to the rev bus in PT.

You can do all of this with VBus. For those unfamiliar, VBus is a feature in the Symphony driver that provides unlimited routing possibilities in Logic and across multiple applications in any Symphony system.

The Symphony and Symphony Mobile drivers create an environment for the routing of Core Audio outputs to Core Audio input channels with zero delay. The Maestro Control Panel allows you to enable the VBus channels and can be used within Logic sessions as a bus simply by outputting to the VBus channels in your outgoing track and selecting them as an input to a record enabled track. The VBus channel names are clearly labeled and the number of additional VBus channels is selectable within Apple's Audio Midi Setup.

index.php/fa/5062/0/

I was already sold on symphony. Now I am really happy to see this. Mixing is all about routing and grouping. Symphony is an amazing product.  

Tomas Danko

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 07:35:55 AM »

That shows some great talent for the Symphony interface indeed. Routing a bus to an aux in Logic, however, is portable regardless of audio interface, and it's just about as easy.

Now, if I could only wrap my head around the audio quality of that interface. It seems to be nothing like the previous, well known, Apogee's. So is it better or worse, marketing hype and design or as good as a Lavry Blue? Inquiring ears and all that...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up