R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help me with drum booth  (Read 2530 times)

lowswing

help me with drum booth
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:01:03 PM »

Hi,
I want to convert one room in my studio for a drum booth, to be able to get great insulation when recording a band together, the room is 4.5mx5m celling is slanted starting from 3m (actual ceiling) to ca. 3.2m.
can it be done without sounding boxy? should I aim to make it dead sounding?more hard wood reflecting/material? how should I build the floor for maximum isolation with the other room (which has a floating floor) and especially the neighbours under?
a plan of the studio attached
index.php/fa/5037/0/
thanks a lot
Guy Sternberg
Producer and Recording engineer
LowSwing Studios www.lowswing.de

franman

Re: help me with drum booth
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:22:06 PM »

that's quite a few questions (and topics) but here's some starting points..

1. Isolation: As you probably know (from you're earlier studio construction) the primary ingredients to good sound isolation are mass and air space... Lay out a good double wall construction plan with multiple layers of multiple materials on each stud face... If you want to install a floating floor, there are sooooo many options. It's impossible to recommend one here as it depends on host building compliance, type of construction that is practicle, budget, load capacity, etc, etc ,etc...

Any way, build your new iso booth wall on top of the the floating floor to maximize effectiveness.. Yes you will give up some space, but sound isolation takes space!!

2. Treatments: In this size room, you would NOT be looking for a lot of reflective surfaces. We would typically design a "Medium" or natural sounding room for this application. Mostly trapped (Absorption). Don't forget to put deeper trapping in corners for broadband bass absorption... then we would use some helmholtz slat trapping on at least one or two walls... I would usually angle the framing for the trapping to vary the airspace behind the slat wall (thus de-tuning it and making it more broadband).

I'm sorry I can't get too specific as the detailing on all of this is what we do for a living.... all the information is available in many sources.

I'm just trying to make some suggestions and get the thread started. I'm sure everyone will chime in with great advice, as always!!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

lowswing

Re: help me with drum booth
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:36:05 PM »

thanks a lot!
Guy Sternberg
Producer and Recording engineer
LowSwing Studios www.lowswing.de
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 22 queries.