R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 11 OFFICIAL discussion thread  (Read 24080 times)

j.hall

IMP 11 OFFICIAL discussion thread
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:19:04 AM »

iCombs

Re: IMP 11 OFFICIAL discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:05 AM »

*EVERYBODY UP FOR THE KICKOFF!!!*

Technically, this may have been the roughest I've worked on in the world of IMP.  Auto-Tune...clipping...arrangement...definitely a big challenge.  That said, the song is there...the hook is good and the instumentation fits well.

I'm going to post commentary on everything I hear this time...I didn't get a chance to on the last IMP because I was busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, but things are a little slower this week, so I should be able to get to reviews once everyone gets them up!

I'm excited!
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

garret

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:20:15 AM »

iCombs wrote on Mon, 23 April 2007 11:05

Technically, this may have been the roughest I've worked on in the world of IMP.  Auto-Tune...clipping...arrangement...definitely a big challenge.  That said, the song is there...the hook is good and the instumentation fits well.

Agreed... and after a quick listen to the submitted mixes, I realize I may have gotten lost in the details and missed on the overall track balance.  Mine's dark.  Really dark... Hmm.

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

ATOR

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 02:15:51 PM »

For me the biggest challenge was the arrangement. I spend half of my time on it, cutting it like a butcher  Twisted Evil

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:23:12 PM »

thus far, i'm really disappointed in the mixes.....

the auto-tuning wasn't even remotely close to what i'd call bad.  the arrangement wasn't either.  the tracks were handled decently, and aside from some clipping (which i had zero problem handling) they sounded ok.

to date, this is the best rhythm section IMP has seen/heard.

i did my mix in 3 hours.

garret, your mix is dark, but chris j's is DARK!!!!

Nizzle

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:26:27 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 23 April 2007 19:23

the auto-tuning wasn't even remotely close to what i'd call bad.  the arrangement wasn't either.  the tracks were handled decently, and aside from some clipping (which i had zero problem handling) they sounded ok.

I agree with J re: vocal tuning - it was fine as is, BUT the Kick was a drag to deal with and the Snare wasn't much better. The gtr tracks(mics) were out of phase(couldn't even make them work when manually aligning the waveforms) - no point in blending them - just choose one...But what was surprising to me was that in the midst of this meandering, sprawling piece - were all the ingredients of a very memorable song. The form(IMHO) is all wrong, BUT all of the necessary parts are there to be assembled....Since I do these for fun and not for $, there is only so much time I'm willing to put into them and rearranging the whole thing isn't something I'm going to fool around with  - But I did "snip" some stuff out as well as try and make something exciting happen with the never-ending-guitar-wankathon that seemed to go nowhere ending.... The singer has a very appealing recorded voice....

my 2 cents.

-t

grantis

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »

thanks for sticking up for my melodyne skills Smile
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

iCombs

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:54:26 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 23 April 2007 13:23

to date, this is the best rhythm section IMP has seen/heard.

I can hear the Auto-Tune clearly in the chorus, and it bugs me.  I've got no problem with a little touch of it to make sure your vocal harmonies are tight, but this felt like overkill.

I will agree with you that the rhythm section is WAY tight.  The groove is solid as hell.   I like the bits of the song, but I didn't think the arrangent was as tight as it could've been.  I thought the guitar solo at the end was especially egregious, as it came out of nowhere, and didn't do a lot to reinforce anything that the vocals had done.  

I'm sorry the mixes are disappointing, but I think that points (in some ways) to systematically flawed tracks.  I don't want to sound like a super-negative dickhead, but it felt like an underdeveloped song and decent tracking session with some good sized flaws.  I've definitely worked on worse (and I mean a LOT worse), but I kept wanting more support from the tracks themselves.  The more I mix the more I learn that if it's not there in the tracks, you can't really put it there in the mix.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Careful Collapse

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »

I thought the bass guitar track was really good.  I wonder how many punchins it took...

I did have a bit of trouble with the kick however, because there's no snap to it whatsoever
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

j.hall

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »

knowing the player, i'd say he nailed it in one continuous take, or fixed very minor things here and there.

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »

I finally got to this about noon today.

Lots of subtle automation.

I really fought the guitars and the bass alot.

Concerning the bass I believe my room has some issues so I don't think I'm hearing it very well.

Burning through this in about 3 hours it didn't occur to me to check the phase on the guitars.  I assumed they were double tracked.  Perhaps that would have helped.

Kick and snare were not exactly what I like to hear but since I had no replacement software I had to deal with it.
This is maybe my 3rd IMP and I've heard some cool mixes from people but for some reason I can't bring myself to do anything drastic.

I approach this by assuming that this is a real session for a client that I do not know so I try to keep the insanity to a minimum. (working with someone I am familiar with I am not so reserved.)

Perhaps next time I won't play it safe.

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »

it's supposed to be a real life simulation......

i do change arrangements when i feel it's appropriate.  i mix every IMP as if i'm submitting it to a client for approval.

garret

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »

I'd like to not focus on something that should be minor like the level of autotune, when the overall impact of the mixes, how well they work for the song, etc., are much more important...

But I have to chime in that I do think this vocal track is overtuned.  When used carefully, melodyne can make a vocal just sound like a damn fine performance.  No artifacts at all, just a take you nail to the absolute best of your ability.

Grant: I tune my own vocals too, and I know how much better you feel when you know they're in tune.... but trust me that melodyne can do better at making you sound natural, yet in pitch.

If you want, send me the raw untuned vocal, and I'll tune it and post for comparison, and share my melodyne tricks.    I've been thinking of starting a melodyne techniques thread anyway... hmm.

Then again, maybe it doesn't matter.  In a mix, I'm sure 99% of the general public wouldn't hear the tuning as a problem... but perhaps it depends on what audience you're trying to attract.  If you're aiming for mainstream radio, yah, this is fine... but maybe the indie pop crowd is a touch more demanding of natural sound?

Just a thought.

I haven't had a chance yet to really listen to the mixes.... but quick impressions are that J's is big ass as usual, and iCombs is very solid...

I gotta get home and listen to these.  I mixed this (mostly) on a new set of avantone mix cubes, which I haven't learned yet.  If anything, I expected my mix would translate too bright, given that the mix cubes lack a bit in the very high end.   So I'm afraid the problem exists between the desk and the chair.

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

j.hall

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »

iCombs, do you have a sub?

your mixes consistantly give my sub a serious work out.  whatever you are doing in the 20 - 40Hz range is too big IMO.

i'm hearing lots of interesting arrangements ideas.  i was expecting this from such an easy song to cut.

ATOR, you have some really solid ideas, i think overall your arrangement misses the mark, but the background vox shifting around was a great idea.  i would have just cut the phrase shorter.  the solo doesn't work at all over the section you put it on, but i liked that you tried to keep it.

iCombs

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 23 April 2007 15:44

iCombs, do you have a sub?

your mixes consistantly give my sub a serious work out.  whatever you are doing in the 20 - 40Hz range is too big IMO.

i'm hearing lots of interesting arrangements ideas.  i was expecting this from such an easy song to cut.

ATOR, you have some really solid ideas, i think overall your arrangement misses the mark, but the background vox shifting around was a great idea.  i would have just cut the phrase shorter.  the solo doesn't work at all over the section you put it on, but i liked that you tried to keep it.

I do not have a sub ATM.  I'm looking at getting one to go with the Tannoy System 800s and using those as my midfields...and honestly, I always err on the side of a little too much bottom...I'd rather have my ME reduce that bottom than boost it.   (As long as I keep all the bass frequencies in perspective.) The last mixes I sent for mastering came back with the same comments.  I'm honestly a little afraid of subs...partly due to the fact that my last monitors were Mackie HR824's...which went pretty strong down to about 40...and I always mixed really thin on those...the Dynaudios don't go as far, but are SO much more revealing in the mids that my mixes translated better IMMEDIATELY.

At any rate...nope.  No sub.

I did just get Voxengo SPAN...and as I recall I saw a lot of really low stuff on that, but again, discounted it (left it for the ME, as it were).
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.