R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 11 OFFICIAL discussion thread  (Read 24134 times)

ATOR

Re: IMP 11 OFFICIAL discussion thread
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2007, 09:42:34 AM »

Better late than never  Razz

Antman
It's all too far away. You've put the ac guitar in center spot and the vocals to the side, that doesn't work for me. The vocal should be the center of attention. Some dist in vocal. It gets pretty boring for me at the end.

Blueboy
Weird OH sound. Bells too loud. Nice lead vox. Snare reverb is too big for me, esp predelay. I dont like it when the BG vox stays put when the chord changes. Very noticeable when the BG vox is louder than the lead, which I'd like to be softer than the lead. Nice vox delays in bridge.

BoedoMix
It's a bit blurry because of the reverb. Nice vocal. Good balance. BG vocal could be softer, esp the long (wrong) note.

Carefulcollapse
Bass could use some tightening. Vocal doesn't stand out as much as I'd like. Cutting the verse in half with a short burst of instr. chorus doesn't work for me. I like how you used the organ in the bridge but it's a bit too loud, or just turn up the vocal like I already mentioned. Haha, a bold sudden death ending. The transistor radio ac guitar should be more present, now it's as if you weren't sure if you'd put it there so you just put it in really soft.

ChrisJ
Very muddy lows. I don't like the snare sound. Nice acoustic gits. Kick could use some more power. I'd like more separation. Vocal sounds nice in the bridge, but I hardly notice him in the rest of the track.

Fantomas
Good big bass, a bit too prominent. Nice drums, snare could be a little bit fuller. Toms sound like cardboard, did you forget them? Yep I like this mix.

Garret
Great space intro, until the guitars come in that is, they sound thin and ugly. Is that a drumkit I hear in the back? The no-one to rescue me reverb is a little over the top. I like the little snare fills. The song is too long for me.

GrantRichard
Way too much compression for me. Have you been listening to J.Hall Smile  Otherwise good sounds. Great organ treatment, what did you do with it? The vox break is great. I like the energy of this mix. Good balance too. Loose the compression and it's my fav so far.

Greg Dixon
I need more kick. Nice vocal. Electric rhytm guitars lack power and presence, they're just a wash in the back. Acoustics could sparkle more.

iCombs
Snare sounds as if a construction worker is hitting something way in the back. I miss a coherent space, nothing comes for the same room. You get extra points for cutting the solo short Smile

JDier
Sounds very small, drums are way too soft. Sibilance in vocal. Where is the driving force of the drums?

JHall
Whoah, yup this is a JHall mix. I probably mentioned before that I'd like a little less (2bus) compression Smile  This is the first track that has great toms. You can hear when the snaresample kicks in in the long snarefill that starts quiet, maybe you could automate the snarereplacer sensivity there. Did you replace the toms? Maybe a little less reverb on the vox and bg vox. Good separation.

MacBraddy
I miss the kick. No kick no glory. Spacey lead vox could be nice if the snare wasn't spacey in the other corner. Lead vox could be more present. Nice lead guitarsounds. Snare takes too much of the attention. Bells are too loud and almost sound re-amped.

Maxim
Where are the drums? This is how the band sounds if you'd record the singer with his head stuck in the lead guitarists speaker. The balance is way off.

McSnare
Good solid mix. You brought the bells in right away. Great sounds and separation. I like the snare. Haha, can't get enough of the bells can you. Is there added harmony in the bg vox? I'd still like them to follow the chord change. Yup this is a great mix. Could use some more bells Smile

Rankus
Rhythm guitars sound far away. Nice vox, maybe a little too compressed. Somehow it seems as if this mix is lacking transients, it sounds a little veiled. Maybe you're just fucked because I listened to your mix after McSnares. I listened to it again and it's as if you made your compressor attack too short and killed transients.

ShakesTheClown
Too big reverb on snare. Did you put a spring reverb on a delayed vocal in the back? OHs are too prominent. Vox sounds good, a little too soft in the 2nd half, mostly because of the loud OHs. The sounds are pretty good but the balance and reverbs are off.

Singsing
Sounds harsh and piercing. It hurts my ears even when I turn it down. As if it's smashed by a limiter.

TomC
I like how you featured the bass, it's very prominent but not in the way of anything. Good sounds. I'd like less obvious 2buss compression.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

iCombs

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »

ATOR wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 08:42

Better late than never  Razz

McSnare
Good solid mix. You brought the bells in right away. Great sounds and separation. I like the snare. Haha, can't get enough of the bells can you. Is there added harmony in the bg vox? I'd still like them to follow the chord change. Yup this is a great mix. Could use some more bells Smile

Bells are the new cowbell.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Gabriel F

« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »

Ator: yes i forgot about the toms the sound pretty bad

Jhall: your recalls are pretty good. Hard to tell the diferences the first time because you changed other things to retain the same power and vibe of your first mix.
I like the briefRecall a little bit more than Tomc.

Great ears TomC. you took the fun out of the comparisons Smile

grantis

« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

Quote:

GrantRichard
Way too much compression for me. Have you been listening to J.Hall  Otherwise good sounds. Great organ treatment, what did you do with it? The vox break is great. I like the energy of this mix. Good balance too. Loose the compression and it's my fav so far.

wow, thanks a lot for the kind words Smile.  I worked hard on that thing.

For the organ, I used a massey tape-head plugin (actually 2 of them per side, so 4 total) and turned them all the way up.

grant
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

mcsnare

« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2007, 01:43:36 PM »

Thanks ATOR. Was there bells in there? Not sure what you are referring to. Also, I did not change the BGV's except to lengthen the last note on the lead to end at the same time as the harmony.
Dave
p.s. sorry I haven't found the time to comment on everybody's, maybe soon.

velvet

« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2007, 12:08:05 PM »

Hallo. I would also like to share my mix, although it took me a while ( two weeks probably) - I couldn't make it in one week since I downloaded the tracks. Normally I would make it, but , as I am moving from one flat to another and THAT is time consuming (you know- beside a few things a girlfriend, her dog, cat, aquarium full of strange fishes, and probably half of the ZOO  Rolling Eyes )
You can download my mix HERE  I'll be glad to hear your comments.
Interesting to me is, that more mixes I downloaded and listened sounded to me really "wet" - as if the band played in a big place, with constant verbs on vocals and drums. I did like the J.Hall's mix as it reminded me some psychedelic-indie-post-punk bands I listened to on highschool and I really can imagine how I could be driven crazy (in positive way) by those vocal delays if I will smoke a joint Very Happy
However, since I did hear the song, I knew I will make it more "in the face" kind of sound. Also as I heard the song for a first or second time, I decieded to create some vocal harmonies for Refs. Kind of Def Leppard choir  Laughing . OK, not THAT big...

Finally it may take your attention that 90% of compressors and EQs I used were the ones from SSL Duende. BTW for me this was a great opportunity to try the Duende out. I am really satisfied with it's sound capabilities, but SSL still need to improve the OSX drivers (that is another story).  
I also used the Duende's Stereo BUS compressor on my main output (usually I use hardware compressor - if any). The track is mixed through Avalon vt747sp (no compressor or EQ - only Tube signal Path was switched in and the Gain was rised up to drive the tubes nicely) to Ampex456 1/4" tape.  
After importing back to digital the UAD-1 Precision limiter plugin was used to limit the peaks and rise the volume up slightly, no EQ, multiband compression or other "mastering tricks".
That's it. Once again thanks for this imp idea (and for realizing it!).
Mark_K

Billybehdaz

« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »

New here, just found this forum from gearslutz.  What an awesome idea!!  Seems I'm too late to participate on this one, but I'll offer my humble opinions for the ones I've listened to.

ChrisJ - dark, as others have said.  Maybe a little muddy, but I think brightening the mix up in general might fix that.

Blueboy - snare a little loud in the verse, nice sound though.  Like the vocal edits in the breakdown, very lord-alge.  lot's of hat.  nice mix overall!

TomC - like the bass, more than I would mix but it's not boomy at all.  Wish I knew how to do that.  Vocals sound maybe a bit distorted?  Not sure if I like that in the intimate parts.  The 2 buss compression just killed me going into the chorus.  The song builds nicely and then goes limp as the vox pull down the background.  Really nice balances overall but I think the compression is killing the energy and dynamics.

jhall - nice full sound, cymbals are a little too present and washy for my taste.  Sounds like the mix is pumping some, which I don't think fits this style/tempo.  I like the vocal treatment, different than others but it works.  I think the bk vox could come up a lot before the solo.  Overall, sounds very "radio" if that makes sense.

mcsnare - love the snare sound! May be a db or 2 loud though, especially in the verse.  What did you use?  Bass sounds very balanced.  I think it could use a little more ac. gtr.  Tamb maybe a little too loud.  All minor things, my favorite mix I listened to.

Seems there are some very solid mixers here, I'm glad I found this forum.  I could learn a lot here!  I'm probably just parroting what other's have said since I'm late to the game, but I can't wait for the next IMP so I can participate as well.  Anyone know when if or when the next one is planned?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.