R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe A Little Gun Control Might Help  (Read 13710 times)

el duderino

Re: Maybe A Little Gun Control Might Help
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 17 April 2007 17:58

el duderino wrote on Tue, 17 April 2007 16:24

when was riflery last taught in, lets say england? how many shootings do they average per year?

Proof that it is easy to dismiss a point out of hand when it does not easily fit into ones personal agenda.

It's a sign of the times, not of the access.

Would anyone like to discuss the ease of which guns and ammunition can be made illegally? How much more do you think they will be worth when guns and ammo become scarce.

This is a societal problem, not a gun problem.

Remember that McVeigh thing?

Let's outlaw Ryder trucks.

ryder trucks? come on dude. mcveigh was using bombs, not guns.

i did not dismiss your point. In fact you didnt really respond to anything i said. just something asked.

As for the times, yes it plays a part. But easy and unnecessary access is a much larger part.

I just did a google search for gun statistics in england (which actually shows as England & Wales btw) and for multiple years on  several sites it ranged from about 160 to 250 per year.

Doing the same search for the US showed that roughly 30,000 people die from gun violence each year. it goes up to about 35,000 some years.

Now the population for england and wales is about 60 million and here we're at 300 million. so multiplying theirs by 5 at the high end seems fair. 30,000 to 1250.

does it solve it? no. but its a hell of a lot better.

as for making guns and ammunition illegally, yeah it can happen and does. if it were scarce the price would rise dramatically which is a good thing. less could afford them which means less guns which gives the potential for less violence.

ever heard that joke about if bullets cost a million dollars each? i think it was chris rock, not sure.

on a side note, I think Tik and Phuckwit should start a band. id totally go see that.

el duderino

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »

Taproot wrote on Tue, 17 April 2007 22:36

Sorry, but riflery secured  US independence from England when the bastards went too far.

plan on taking over the gov't?

do people use muskets these days?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »

Wasn't it in Scotland where somebody went to a preschool and stabbed a bunch of kids?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barkley McKay

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 11:46:34 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 04:36

Wasn't it in Scotland where somebody went to a preschool and stabbed a bunch of kids?

Dunblane, Shot 16  school children. 1996.

Also we had the Hungerford Massacre in 1987, where 16 people were randomly shot and killed in a small  market town by Michael Ryan.

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 03:34:40 AM »

Phuckwit wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 02:50

Thanks awfully for the kind words and advice, speaking of gunfire I must once again unreservedly apologize to our German cousins about the unfortunate misunderstanding between my great uncle Henry and the Herr Langsdorff in the approaches to the river Plate a little while back but I feel that it should be pointed out that the first shot was in fact fired by Herr Langsdorff and at a calibre of 381mm seemed rather threatening at the time.
Also my stepson James would like to apologize to our American cousins about his
great great granddad Philip's little problem with the USS Chesapeake and although we turned it into a flour mill my family would be quite happy to return the timber and several of the deck fittings in exchange for the return of our new world estates you now call Virginia and we will show you how to run it. Who the hell is this chap George Bush, funny the last George my family had any proper dealings with was called Washington but now I hear you have a rather common little Texan ranch hand running the place, no wonder its a bloody mess, same as it is here now, democracy eh! never quite got the hang of it myself. Dominion!  Now that's the Fairfax watchword.

Excellent!

Love it!

Love it!

I'm on my way over for a pint!

Since you brought up military endeavooueurs...

Let's get down to cases...

There's really no reason to apologize, I think any thing y'all managed to thieve over two-hundred years ago has been more than made up for by the fact that our young military lads stationed in your fine land are and have been over there deflowering all your young lasses...for er...the last sixty years.

Since about twenty percent of the population of England got much better looking right after '45 I would say...

No hard feelings.

You guys would look like a bunch of inbred island monkeys if we didn't come over there and save you from the nazi's and inseminate the rest of you.

We've easily cornholed the equivalent of your entire female population by now....

I eagerly await you response.

Your new fan....

tik
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

maxim

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 06:29:37 AM »

an emotional situation like this is a great opportunity to outlaw firearms

nobody NEEDS a gun....

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »

It's Pandora's box and it's already open...

There are an estimated 80,000,000 (yes, 80 million) gun owners in the US, and many of those own several guns - they won't all just go away. Even if the gov't outlawed all guns, there would still be many, many millions of guns floating around.

I don't know what the answer is (other than social reform), because we aren't about to get rid of the guns - they're simply everywhere in this country...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Taproot

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:44 AM »

maxim wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 04:29

an emotional situation like this is a great opportunity to outlaw firearms

nobody NEEDS a gun....

Campus security sure NEEDED a gun to take that ***ker out. But I bet you could've saved the day by running up to the gunman and telling him, "No no, you have to stop. This is against the law."

It all boils down to a lack of personal responsibility in this entire country. The animal that killed these people is already being viewed as a victim because of his depression and issues. Boo hoo. The students were at the wrong place at the wrong time. They should've known better and stayed out of his way because he's special and we need to be sensitive to his condition. At least that's how the media is portaying it.

I think W. Wittman put it best in stating that the bodies aren't even cold and it's already a political issue. Sickening.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

rphilbeck

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 08:32:53 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 07:49

There are an estimated 80,000,000 (yes, 80 million) gun owners in the US, and many of those own several guns - they won't all just go away. Even if the gov't outlawed all guns, there would still be many, many millions of guns floating around.

I don't know what the answer is (other than social reform), because we aren't about to get rid of the guns - they're simply everywhere in this country...

If you research it you'll quickly learn that firearms are not a leading cause of death in the U.S.  Even counting for people shooting in self defense, etc. etc.  They're not even in the top 10.  Far more people are killed in traffic accidents every year, yet you don't hear any out cry about that.  

The events in recent days are a real tragedy, but not critical mass.  But it's not as sensational as heart disease, so the media does their thing, and we all just follow along like sheep.  And we're lead to believe this is a widespread problem, and something must be done.  

So the liberal answer is let's take all the guns away, and eliminate one of the least leading causes of death in the U.S. while exposing the law abiding citizens of the country to God knows what kind of victimizations.  

If you don't think people "need" guns than you've never been in a situation where you needed one.

maxim

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »

"Even if the gov't outlawed all guns, there would still be many, many millions of guns floating around."

at least, if they were outlawed people wouldn't feel like they have the RIGHT to own one

most people i know are law abiding citizens (as much as they can help it...)

Fox

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »

RPhilbeck wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 08:32

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 07:49

If you research it you'll quickly learn that firearms are not a leading cause of death in the U.S.  Even counting for people shooting in self defense, etc. etc.  They're not even in the top 10.  Far more people are killed in traffic accidents every year, yet you don't hear any out cry about that.  

The events in recent days are a real tragedy, but not critical mass.  But it's not as sensational as heart disease, so the media does their thing, and we all just follow along like sheep.  And we're lead to believe this is a widespread problem, and something must be done.  

So the liberal answer is let's take all the guns away, and eliminate one of the least leading causes of death in the U.S. while exposing the law abiding citizens of the country to God knows what kind of victimizations.  

If you don't think people "need" guns than you've never been in a situation where you needed one.

Of course they're not a leading cause of death. That statistic is totally irrelevant. Are they the leading instrument of death in murder cases, though? I don't know, but I'm sure the statistics will read much differently when they actually apply to the situation.

BTW, I'm not picking sides here (yet), I'm just pointing out the flaws in your argument, cause I'm a bastard like that. Twisted Evil

Fox

Taproot

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »

maxim wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 06:40

"Even if the gov't outlawed all guns, there would still be many, many millions of guns floating around."

at least, if they were outlawed people wouldn't feel like they have the RIGHT to own one

It would put more guns in the hands of criminals and turn many, many 1000s of honest, hard working people into criminals. Sort of akin to the "War on Drugs". Little Johnny down the street gets 20 years for having some of them Marijuana Pills. Meanwhile, a man in Vermont kidnaps and sodomizes a child and the judge gives him 6 mos. house arrest (true story).
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Phuckwit

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 08:34

There's really no reason to apologize, I think any thing y'all managed to thieve over two-hundred years ago has been more than made up for by the fact that our young military lads stationed in your fine land are and have been over there deflowering all your young lasses...for er...the last sixty years.

Since about twenty percent of the population of England got much better looking right after '45 I would say...

No hard feelings.

You guys would look like a bunch of inbred island monkeys if we didn't come over there and save you from the nazi's and inseminate the rest of you.

We've easily cornholed the equivalent of your entire female population by now....

I eagerly await you response.

Your new fan....

tik

Quite right too, we did need a little help dealing with Herr Hitler, shame you chaps turned up a tad on the tardy side but better late than never. I would be the first to admit that particularly in this area the enormous ingress of US armed forces mainly
airmen and their supporting personnel armed with Liberators, Fortresses, Mustangs, silk stockings gramophone records and chewing gum, did a great deal to draw down the defenses of not not only Nazi germany but the underwear of a great many young women of the peasantry, thus vastly improving the breed. It should however be pointed out that my socioeconomic grouping have sought to improve our looks
by importing American actresses for breeding stock, in my case I managed to get a superb one from paramount pictures in Hollywood. See the following:
http://www.LouiseRobey.com

Frightfully pulchritudinous dontc'a think old chap?.
PS Vis a Vis the ownership of firearms in the US education system if you chaps limited it to say only the Ivy League college students and alumni you would probably have few if any problems. My family where very concerned about firearms falling into the hands of red indians and the French.
God save the Queen.
Regards.?:*??*:?. ??.??¯`?.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
http://www.springvalestudios.com

bblackwood

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »

maxim wrote on Wed, 18 April 2007 07:40

Indeed, but there's this pesky thing called the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution which reads:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
A majority of Americans read that to mean we can have guns. The 2nd Amendment will never be over-turned, and the US Constitution over-rides any other laws...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bblackwood

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 11:16:02 AM »

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20070417/D8OILK8O0.html

Japan is a country with virtually no guns, what makes anyone think gun control will work in a country with well over 100 million guns?

Just a thought...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 20 queries.