R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Labs IBP - DI any good?  (Read 3340 times)

zakco

Little Labs IBP - DI any good?
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:19:18 PM »

Hi there,

I was thinking about picking up an IBP and I'm curious as to your opinions of the onboard DI, particularly for bass...? If it's nothing special I'd probably just go with the "JR" version without the built in DI. I already have a sansamp bass driver and a countryman type85 (not to mention the hiz inputs on my GRNV and APIs). However if the IBP has a decent DI, I'd consider springing for the full deal...

Your thoughts?

-Z-

NelsonL

Re: Little Labs IBP - DI any good?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »

It's a great DI, very clean. The reamp circuit is also nice to have. We have both those other DI boxes, the IPB does something different-- more Hi-fi.

U1176

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »

I bought the Redeye strictly as a reamp box and ended up using the DI mode on it on a constant basis for clean yet tonal bass parts.

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:40:31 PM »

What I have found to be exceptionally cool about the 're-amp' is that you can play with the "phase" on the way TO the amp you're using for a 're-amp' event... meaning that if you're doing a 're-amp' bass thing you can pretty much eliminate using an equalizer to really dial in the tone.

It has made my low end far clearer than its ever been [somehow I'm not sure that came out right]
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

zakco

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:00:25 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to give this box a test drive.

-Z-

ssltech

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 05:21:30 PM »

IBP = Righteous.

End message.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

joeq

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 12 April 2007 19:40

What I have found to be exceptionally cool about the 're-amp' is that you can play with the "phase" on the way TO the amp you're using for a 're-amp' event... meaning that if you're doing a 're-amp' bass thing you can pretty much eliminate using an equalizer to really dial in the tone.

It has made my low end far clearer than its ever been [somehow I'm not sure that came out right]

this hits on something has always eluded me about the IBP and reamping  (from a DAW)

in order to dial in the tone,  do you need to be re-recording the DI signal at the same time for monitoring purposes? (so that it has the same latency as the amped signal?)

or does the phase relationship that you dial in remain even when you time shift the reamp track back to it's "correct" time?

or do you simply leave the reamp track where it is:   _un time-shifted, only phase-shifted?

ssltech

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:05:39 PM »

Either.

If you really want to.

The cool thing about the IBP is it it gives you the option of doing Either... which nobody else does.

They sound DIFFERENT. Which IS "right" is -as it always will be- whichever SOUNDS "right".

What Fletch is saying is that the IBP (Again, unlike any other offering out there) alows you to hear it IN REAL TIME...

AS YOU'RE PLAYING IT.

Think about that.

Not every Bass player (or whatever) will groove as well having been told "I know it doesn't sound quite <<there>> yet... but wait until we play it back and then I can spend ten minutes nudging it... you'll love it then!!!"

See, loving it ten minutes AFTER you played it is nowhere near as cool as loving it WHILE you play it.

Players RESPOND differently when they're high on their sound.

Players can be 'higher' more of the time with the IBP.

See, it's hard for me to get it across succinctly, but like I said earlier:

Quote:

IBP = Righteous.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.