R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rock vs spinglass or corning?  (Read 2344 times)

brett

rock vs spinglass or corning?
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:24:48 PM »

I have made 16 absorbers 2'x4'x4" using semi-rigid fuberglas "spin-glass" panels. The front and left wall of my  

I'll be replacing the current front and side wall with the rocksul panels and using the currect absorbers for the rear wall.

My room is 10x10x8 with a sliding glass door on the right that runs 8' center on the right wall. So that side will have a heavy curtain but only bass absorbers in the corners and at the ceiling. With this size room I think I need thick absorbtion on all solid walls and corners including the celing.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

I am planing to do the dcenters of each solid wall, and each ceiling+floor joint and corner? What about difusion?

franman

Re: rock vs spinglass or corning?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:40:03 PM »

My first thought is that this is a small room, with two equal dimensions. You are going to have issues on the 110-120Hz range... for sure.. maybe the octave below?? I think you need some deep broadband absorption wherever you can fit it: deeper than 4".. I'm not familiar with dcenters??

I wouldnt' get too worried about diffusion because you are going to be very close to any diffusors (too close?) to get past the Haas affect. I would try to scatter some deep porous trapping or some tuned traps along the rear and rear corners. I'm sure you will need that...

Don't forget the first reflection control off the ceiling as well!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

brett

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »

On the first reflection control of the ceiling, do I need broad band and bass absorbsion there? Like a 4"-6", or can I get away with hanging a lighter 2" panel above made from 8lbs rockwool fiberglass blend(Roxul). That stuff is pretty dense!

I have made a 12" thick 4'x4'x12" center of rear wall by floor. Then I hanging panels near the top 4" and some more 12" thick in the rear corners. A thick cutain or rockwool blanket on the right in front of the sliding glass door. I am going to leave the floor wood, or should i throw a area rug in as well?

I am kind of screwed too, as with all the absorbtion, the desk is back from the wall and my seat is almost dead center in the room. That is why i was thinking of increasing corner absorbtion to 12" and putting a 6" thick 4x4 absorber on the ceiling over me.

brett

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:03:53 AM »

treated front wall, and rear, and now the left side is louder. The left side is full hieght cabinets, and the right side is a sliding glass door. Guess the glass is letting a lot of energy escape. What can i do? I tried treating the sides with absorbers but no improvement. I can't cover the glass either. I tried changing the monitor gain but it sounds wacky. The mids and higher get louder on the right but the low end still is louder on the left.

franman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »

On the ceiling reflection: Yes, use the thicker panels... Regardless of density (to some extent) the bandwidth of the absorption is MORE related to the thickness of the porous materials... 6" will yield good absorption down into the octave 500-1000Hz.. You need to handle this area..

On the unbalance in your system?? Hmmmm... You are probably hearing something that's always been there, but impossible to detect without some reflection control... I don't know exactly where your sliding glass door is, but this could be causing a 'shift' by presenting a large reflective surface.... It's most likely not the fact that sound is escaping through the thin door... the asymetry of the absorption is more likely to blame OR an actual problem with the monitors??

What type of speakers are you using? Can you use an SPL meter or RTA to measure the speakers close (1M)? What happens if you switch the monitors side to side? Does the problem more?? If so, it's electro-mechanical.. if not, it's probably acoustic.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

brett

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 11:59:55 PM »

I tweeked the gain and got them to sound balanced. thanks for the recomendations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.